Prices Gone Mad??

Sekiro

Visit site
I was at the range tonight with a few of the lads and we got to talking about how crazy the prices of everything have gone on the current secondhand market, my friend bought a Ping driver 2 years ago and sold it for £20 profit over the weekend, has anyone else noticed that when you look at historic eBay completed listings that pretty much everything has gone totally mental with clubs that were selling for £40-60 a few months back now reaching £90-100 and beyond. From what I can tell it’s definitely a sellers market if you've got used brand name stuff but what’s caused this to happen?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I was at the range tonight with a few of the lads and we got to talking about how crazy the prices of everything have gone on the current secondhand market, my friend bought a Ping driver 2 years ago and sold it for £20 profit over the weekend, has anyone else noticed that when you look at historic eBay completed listings that pretty much everything has gone totally mental with clubs that were selling for £40-60 a few months back now reaching £90-100 and beyond. From what I can tell it’s definitely a sellers market if you've got used brand name stuff but what’s caused this to happen?

like anything when prices go up, increased demand compared to supply

lot of people taking up the game or playing more has created some sudden demand and no increase in supply (if anything it has declined at least in terms of new clubs in the short term)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to agree and sites like Golfbidder and Affordable Golf definitely have less stock than before lockdown and prices have gone up. Whether more people were simply buying stock in lockdown with a view to playing when courses opened and so stock has been depleted and will improve as the course remain open remains to be seen. However this stock problem is driving more and more people to ebay and the like and then it is a sellers market as you can name the price and if you have a decent brand name that holds a decent 2nd hand value then you can use that seemingly to add a few extra quid onto the price

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I've even noticed this in the classic/vintage market, stuff often struggled to sell but it's now going for almost respectable prices.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I often buy and sell second hand gear and the prices have shot up in the last few months. I bought a TM GAPR back in February for £82, I only used it for a month or two, after the full lockdown I sold it in June for £115. Both via Ebay. My mate recently got a brand new driver, but part-traded in his old G30 for £100 credit when it only cost him £80 like two years ago.

I figure it was a combination of loads of people taking up golf when it was the first sport to come out of lockdown, and golf sellers finding stock a bit harder to come by with the restrictions due to the pandemic.. all means demand was outweighing supply more than ever.

I've just chucked my old G20 hybrid up on Ebay tonight actually, hoping to cash in there.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know a callaway guy and he said golf equipment is gonna get stupid expensive from next year because of the usa China relationship. Apparently tarrif and golf equipment is set to be big

D

Deleted Member 1156

Anybody want to buy my Titleist 915 driver with fancy upgraded aftermarket shaft? ?

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Definitely a big surge in people taking up or re-taking up the game or playing a lot more than they planned to, which has led to a lot more buying of 2nd hand kit.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I sold a GBB Epic driver a couple of weeks ago so...not a new model by any stretch but it was in decent condition....looking at what other similar items had sold for recently was only realistically expecting around £140....it went for well over £200

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Definitely a big surge in people taking up or re-taking up the game or playing a lot more than they planned to, which has led to a lot more buying of 2nd hand kit.

I wonder how much of it will be short lived. Some places have been offering short term memberships and I can understand it while the weather has been good but I wonder how many will be out in the middle of January and so the clubs go in the cupboard or garage and then next summer, an overseas holiday calls or another hobby to try and they stay there. Two or three years time they'll slowly make their way back onto the second hand market

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder how much of it will be short lived. Some places have been offering short term memberships and I can understand it while the weather has been good but I wonder how many will be out in the middle of January and so the clubs go in the cupboard or garage and then next summer, an overseas holiday calls or another hobby to try and they stay there. Two or three years time they'll slowly make their way back onto the second hand market

I'm sure some of it, but ultimately there will surely be more golfers this time next year than there were this time last year.

No doubt a lot of people will have taken a pro-rata membership or a monthly sub for the current year and won't justify or afford a full years fees to keep it going, but golf is one of those games that once you get to a certain level, it becomes very addictive & hard to give up.

I'm sure there will also be a number of people cutting back on other hobbies or leisure pursuits and keeping the golf going. Sadly I think one of the things most golf clubs are very bad at is being able to quickly immerse people into the golf club, as part of a regular group, handicap, group coaching etc. In my experience you are very much left to your own devices and a lot of people will still feel like outsiders after a year or more of playing at a club.

And there's always a bit of hostility towards new members from certain sections who believe they have a divine right to their tee time every week and don't really care that 100 new members could transform a club from going to concern, to thriving sports hub.

I have an old set of irons up the loft I might go and clean up and see if I can't get £50 for them.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
My mate sells stuff on eBay as a living and he was telling me he sold a Motocaddy umbrella holder (used) for more than the new price at American golf and postage on top of that.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Think a lot of people have taken up golf since lockdown finished and need clubs. Supply and demand?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's not just golf equipment. Carp fishing equipment is stupid high too. A bag that hold a bait bucket was £35/£40 new sells second hand for £50 easy.