Previous holes in the way on Putting Green

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
On my course the GK's always leave one hole open (uncapped) in addition to the flagged hole.
I had three examples last week when these were on the line of my putt or chip and run shots.
We only play for fun so have a mates agreement to move the ball when this happens and was asking one of the pros about it.
His opinion was to treat the uncapped hole as GUR and re-site the ball but no closer. But he said you shouldn't do this if you are off the green such as on the apron or further :(

Are there any proper rules about this? I suppose it would never occur in professional golf.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes ur allowed relief on the line on the green only . If ur off the green you are not .. il have a look later if some1 hasnt already answered.. 13 something but any hole made by greenkeeper can b treated as gur as far as i know . But only when ball on putting green ..

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
WE used to have a local rule for this ,even filled holes used to shrink in warm weather. (No sprinklers)
Relief on the green but not off.
Similar to repairing a pitch mark.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your pro was correct.

It is a hole made by a greenskeeper and as such is Ground under Repair without a need for a local rule. [See Defintions: Ground Under Repair]

You are allowed to take relief from line of play intervention by GUR when your ball is on the putting green. The GUR may be on or off the green. [See Rule 16.1a(1)]

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
WE used to have a local rule for this ,even filled holes used to shrink in warm weather. (No sprinklers)
Relief on the green but not off.
Similar to repairing a pitch mark.
A pitch mark on the green may be repaired regardless of whether the ball is on the green or not.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your pro was correct.

It is a hole made by a greenskeeper and as such is Ground under Repair without a need for a local rule. [See Defintions: Ground Under Repair]

You are allowed to take relief from line of play intervention by GUR when your ball is on the putting green. The GUR may be on or off the green. [See Rule 16.1a(1)]
Is this the case if the hole is covered by a plastic cap rather than filled using another hole plug?

Often played where 2 holes are cut and pins are exchanged overnight with only a cover used which is rarely flat with the surface of the green.

RulesGuy

Visit site
And if it is only able to be removed by a tool from the GK it would be an immovable obstruction and relief would still be available

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
And if it is only able to be removed by a tool from the GK it would be an immovable obstruction and relief would still be available
Again, and I realize that it's pedantic, but relief from an immovable obstruction for line of play is only available if your ball lies on the putting green.