Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Deeney isn’t retuning time training apparently, because of concerns for his kid’s health
I saw a bit of an interview with him the other day. I don't remember precisely but I think his kid has respiratory issues. Throw in the added worry of the impact it is having on BAME people and how that could affect his kid in combination and i think most will empathise with him for not going back.

I suspect others may emerge over the coming days who have wives, children, parents living with them who are in the vulnerable group and decide it is too early for them to return as well. Not enough, I don't expect, to be a major issue but it is inevitable.

D

Deleted member 1147

I saw a bit of an interview with him the other day. I don't remember precisely but I think his kid has respiratory issues. Throw in the added worry of the impact it is having on BAME people and how that could affect his kid in combination and i think most will empathise with him for not going back.

I suspect others may emerge over the coming days who have wives, children, parents living with them who are in the vulnerable group and decide it is too early for them to return as well. Not enough, I don't expect, to be a major issue but it is inevitable.
Yeah, not judging, just stating what I’d read.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I thoroughly dislike the man (from what I've read and see on the telle)

However I really hope he isn't punished in anyway by Watford or The FA. He shouldn't be and clearly isn't taking any risks, great parenting.

Edit: missed the team by a few hundred miles

D

Deleted member 1740

I know.

He has the luxury to refuse to work....

Ofcourse but he also has the same right as you do with your employer.

One things for certain, football right now is probably the safest workplace in the country.

D

Deleted member 1740

Are they testing the players daily? Just thinking that if this had been after the first round of games there would have been 6 clubs having to isolate for 14 days, the three teams with positive tests and their three opponents (assuming they weren't playing each other). And even if they had picked it up before a match would their team mates have to isolate? Don't know how long it takes after becoming infected to show up as a positive test.

No, this is their return to work test. They‘ll be tested twice a week and the day before a game.

Im not sure what the plans are re isolating if test positive after a game.

D

Deleted member 1147

No, this is their return to work test. They‘ll be tested twice a week and the day before a game.

Im not sure what the plans are re isolating if test positive after a game.
If it’s anything like Hudson Odoi’s isolation I don’t think it’s quite appropriate!

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Ofcourse but he also has the same right as you do with your employer.

One things for certain, football right now is probably the safest workplace in the country.

Technically yes.

But I'm sure lots of the public would rather not being working but can't make the choice he did.

It's not a slight on him, just saying he's fortunate.

D

Deleted member 1740

Technically yes.

But I'm sure lots of the public would rather not being working but can't make the choice he did.

It's not a slight on him, just saying he's fortunate.

Any employee has a right to refuse to work if they feel it’s unsafe. It’s then upto the employer to prove it’s safe by doing a risk assessment etc

Obviously Footballers and pro sportsmen are on a different plane to us.

D

Deleted member 1740

Not sure if it’s been reported, but Deeney has a young baby with his new model bird.
The baby is only a few months old and has had some health issues, partly related to breathing.

so you can see where he is coming from

new model bird you say.....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Any employee has a right to refuse to work if they feel it’s unsafe. It’s then upto the employer to prove it’s safe by doing a risk assessment etc

Obviously Footballers and pro sportsmen are on a different plane to us.

Yes, but if its proven its safe for HIM to do his job and he doesn't want to then he can quit. Something we can all do, but a luxury most of us can't afford.

I'm not entirely sure it's as simple as a workplace satey report either. Or tesco and the like would have no staff as they'd be tucked up at home getting paid as its clearly not a safe environment compared to footy.

Like I said, not judging him for making the choice. But it's no way the same for all of us.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Tesco and the like would have no staff as they'd be tucked up at home getting paid as its clearly not a safe environment compared to footy.

Legally it'd be interesting how it'd hold up, everyone else can get away with saying they enforce social distancing. Not the case in football obviously.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Legally it'd be interesting how it'd hold up, everyone else can get away with saying they enforce social distancing. Not the case in football obviously.

I don’t think footballers should be forced to work. my point was simply he can afford not too, and also even if his work closed for safety grounds. He’s not getting furloughed like the rest of us.

i think most places would be hard pushed to prove social distancing is actually possible. Whilst contact is required for football, cross contamination of stock can’t be 100 stopped in a supermarket, very few follow the arrows for going one way around the store etc. I just think that shelve stackers have a lot less clout than sport stars. the law may be the same for all of us, but it is blatantly obvious we aren’t all governed by them equally.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don’t think footballers should be forced to work. my point was simply he can afford not too, and also even if his work closed for safety grounds. He’s not getting furloughed like the rest of us.

i think most places would be hard pushed to prove social distancing is actually possible. Whilst contact is required for football, cross contamination of stock can’t be 100 stopped in a supermarket, very few follow the arrows for going one way around the store etc. I just think that shelve stackers have a lot less clout than sport stars. the law may be the same for all of us, but it is blatantly obvious we aren’t all governed by them equally.

Which is why the game should only be restarted when it’s safe for fans to be there.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would be interested to know if those 6 who have tested positive were actually showing symptoms, or just carriers. If it's the latter, it just highlights how careful we all have to be.