Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don’t doubt anything you say, but to judge any “new” manager after 4 months is ridiculous, your injury list is terrible and he’s had the Jan transfer window in which very few Clubs spent.

You have to give him a chance of at least trying to build his squad and bringing in the players he wants.

You know what you are getting when you bring in Jose and it’s unfair to blame him for all the problems at previous Clubs, at least give him a chance at Spurs because I’d imagine he’ll be your manager for at least the next 18 months.
The trouble is he won’t get all the players he wants , maybe 2/3 big money buys but other than that he will have to work with mostly the players already there.
To start criticizing players publicly before the game will do nothing for the team.
The players have no direction and look worse than they are, every game has too many changes and formations.

It’s typical of Jose to bring on a lad I’ve never heard of before and not give Troy Parrott at least 20 minutes, I think it’s because many fans/ pundits were calling him to give him a game and he’s stubborn and think he’s right all the time.
He will be given next season to turn things around but imo the fans won’t put up with the style of play and it will end with him getting another big payoff.

Swango1980

Visit site
Can coronavirus be tested for before symptoms show? If so, I'd have thought Premier League clubs would have the resources to get their players and staff tested, before self isolating?

I believe Olympiacos game versus Wolves is still going ahead at this point. Interesting, maybe the Olympiscos owner prefers to meet up with Arsenal players rather than his own

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What are the odds this season will get finished now?

They are saying Serie A will probably not get finished, and so are discussing the following 3 options:

1. Playoffs to sort out winners and relegation
2. Keep table as it stands
3. Cancel season entirely

My money would be cancel season entirely for all league's

Fairest way .. can't have teams go down who could get out on last day (Bournemouth for example) or have teams come up who could fade by then (Leeds prob lol)..

Added bonus of Liverpool not winning aswell

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
My money would be cancel season entirely for all league's

Fairest way .. can't have teams go down who could get out on last day (Bournemouth for example) or have teams come up who could fade by then (Leeds prob lol)..

Added bonus of Liverpool not winning aswell

who earns the CL spots?
Go by last year? Surely Leicester will sue for loss of earnings?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
who earns the CL spots?
Go by last year? Surely Leicester will sue for loss of earnings?

Considering the champions League this season will be suspended aswell if this happens then the fairest way is to do last year's as they won't have finished the comp they qualified for.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Considering the champions League this season will be suspended aswell if this happens then the fairest way is to do last year's as they won't have finished the comp they qualified for.

I'm not sure about that. I haven't checked all the leagues, but if the teams remaining in the CL for example. How many aren't in the qualification places of their rexpectoce leagues atm.

Spurs are now out of Europe and not likely to finish top 4. Where as Leicester are. I think all hell wil break loose with lawsuits.

It was bad enough when sheff utd missed the pl back when it was worth about 20m.

Championship teams now gain. An extra few 100m...

If I was city. I'd accept the CL ban now though as they may only miss a season at this rate.

D

Deleted member 16999

The trouble is he won’t get all the players he wants , maybe 2/3 big money buys but other than that he will have to work with mostly the players already there.
To start criticizing players publicly before the game will do nothing for the team.
The players have no direction and look worse than they are, every game has too many changes and formations.

It’s typical of Jose to bring on a lad I’ve never heard of before and not give Troy Parrott at least 20 minutes, I think it’s because many fans/ pundits were calling him to give him a game and he’s stubborn and think he’s right all the time.
He will be given next season to turn things around but imo the fans won’t put up with the style of play and it will end with him getting another big payoff.
Please don’t think for one minute I’m trying to tell a Spurs or any fan of any Club what’s they should do etc.(y)

The point I’m trying to make is that the fans have been divided on him since before he arrived and those against him are making the biggest noises.

The problems at Spurs (from a neutral pov) started before he arrived, you looked 1-3 players away from being a top side under Poch and they/you lost him.

Trust me, you’re way better off having someone of Jose’s calibre that may turn it around than someone like Allardyce etc who is the last type of manager you want!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cancel the PL, 2019/20 null and void, irrelevant of current places ????
The title Liverpool nearly won. Wow. Not sure I could stand that.

Can't see it happening and sure they'll find a way to get the necessary games played to ensure Liverpool are crowned winners (probably behind closed doors) as we all know it's a done deal. Get it done officially so they can't be caught and cancel the rest and submit to UEFA those are our positions and entry into CL next year

Swango1980

Visit site
The title Liverpool nearly won. Wow. Not sure I could stand that.

Can't see it happening and sure they'll find a way to get the necessary games played to ensure Liverpool are crowned winners (probably behind closed doors) as we all know it's a done deal. Get it done officially so they can't be caught and cancel the rest and submit to UEFA those are our positions and entry into CL next year
They should cancel the football, and have playoffs at end of season to decide important positions. Not football ones though, too many people.

Each club should get 3 of their players to form a Texas Scramble team. Each player must have 6 drives each. Played at Wentworth. No Handicaps. Final league positions decided on how the teams get on in this mini tournament.

In all honesty, it'll be interesting to see what would happen if the league season is called off. Giving the title to Liverpool would seem fair, given they have pretty much won it anyway. However, keeping the league positions as they stand would be tough to take to those in relegation zone or fringes of Europe. I'd imagine, whatever happens, we'll get enough of the league played to make it mathematically certain Liverpool will win title.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Please don’t think for one minute I’m trying to tell a Spurs or any fan of any Club what’s they should do etc.(y)

The point I’m trying to make is that the fans have been divided on him since before he arrived and those against him are making the biggest noises.

The problems at Spurs (from a neutral pov) started before he arrived, you looked 1-3 players away from being a top side under Poch and they/you lost him.

Trust me, you’re way better off having someone of Jose’s calibre that may turn it around than someone like Allardyce etc who is the last type of manager you want!
Mourinho was always going to be a contentious appointment for the Spurs fans, made good sense from a business sense but that has backfired somewhat.
Mourinho deserves respect for what he has achieved as a manager but could it be that he has not moved on with the way the game is played now.
This will probably be his last big appointment in the P/L and if it’s not a success it will be difficult for him to come back from that.

Swango1980

Visit site
Mourinho was always going to be a contentious appointment for the Spurs fans, made good sense from a business sense but that has backfired somewhat.
Mourinho deserves respect for what he has achieved as a manager but could it be that he has not moved on with the way the game is played now.
This will probably be his last big appointment in the P/L and if it’s not a success it will be difficult for him to come back from that.
Maybe Mourinho has lost his touch. But, I just wouldn't be so willing to rule him out.

I agree that his last 2 appointments were unusual, given we know the reputation of his tactics, and we know the perception is that United or Spurs do not like to play defensive football (although, I'm sure any fan from any football club would prefer to play successful attacking football over successful defensive football). The Madrid appointment maybe wasn't that unusual at the time, given it was the first big "attacking" club he was a manager of. so there was maybe still a bit of the unknown. And, he was up against one of the greatest club sides to ever play.

However, most recognise that Manchester United have been truly terrible for a number of years. They were playing horrific football long before Mourinho came in, and played with no confidence as a team. Worse still, there were one or 2 in the dressing room with big egos but wouldn't back it up on the pitch regularly. So, given he won the EFL Cup and the Europa League with Manchester United was a massive achievement, in my eyes.

He has gone in to Spurs who were already in a poor position. They are a team that look tired. They have some great players, but I think they've been relying on them too heavily for too long, without freshening things up each season to help the best players out (in my opinion, I'm sure Spurs fans are more in touch with what is going on). Furthermore, their best 3 players were / are Kane, Son and Eriksson. One has left (but had pretty much downed tools before he left) and the other 2 are now injured. That is a massive blow to Spurs, especially as they don't have top players on the bench to replace them.

Carragher's analysis on MNF of Dembele was intriguing this week. Apparently he made the fewest sprints off the ball (zero, which was less than the goalkeeper), and basically hid away all match from helping his mates out. Yet, the few times he did get the ball, his quality was clear. I don't generally agree with criticising players publicly if your a manager. But perhaps Mourinho has been at Dembeles throat for weeks now in training to try and get him to work hard, and he just isn't responding. So, this may be the nuclear option, where he is basically calling him out public, as a last resort to try and get him to buck up his ideas? Or, it may also be a clear message to the owners?

So, I agree with paul that he is being written off by some way too early. Question is though, if he wants to bring in certain players to improve that Spurs side, will he be supported by the owners? If not, then maybe any manager would fail if they can't build a team that they think will be geared up for success. If they do support him, it will be interesting to see how they do.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They should cancel the football, and have playoffs at end of season to decide important positions. Not football ones though, too many people.

Each club should get 3 of their players to form a Texas Scramble team. Each player must have 6 drives each. Played at Wentworth. No Handicaps. Final league positions decided on how the teams get on in this mini tournament.

In all honesty, it'll be interesting to see what would happen if the league season is called off. Giving the title to Liverpool would seem fair, given they have pretty much won it anyway. However, keeping the league positions as they stand would be tough to take to those in relegation zone or fringes of Europe. I'd imagine, whatever happens, we'll get enough of the league played to make it mathematically certain Liverpool will win title.
Well if the PL and CL were called to a halt I would expect the lower leagues would have to stop as well.
So relagation ,promotion would also stop and everybody stays were they are.
Just toss a coin ,we only need two wins so am sure Hendo can win two.
Would make a good telly prog if all the games were sorted on one night.
Not in favour of playoffs that’s why you have a league.
Someone 10 pts clear can miss out because of one game when they have been better all season ,that’s why they are 10pts ahead ,money making that’s all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If they do play games without fans will season ticket holders and people who bought tickets from the clubs be reimbursed for the games they are being refused entry to.
Bit of a legal minefield I think.
You have purchased something that’s still going on but you can’t watch it.