Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
U

User62651

A 3-0 loss in a game that doesn't matter is maybe a blessing in disguise?

Might ease some pressure and get them playing as we know they can. Refocus and know they aren't invincible.

They've looked a bit average last few games.

Lovren seems to be the weak link.

Henderson may be more valuable than we think too.

For Liverpool winning the league is everything, ECL is great but they've been in the last 2 finals winning last year. Bayern are probably due another and it'd be nice to see Man City or Juventus win it.

FA Cup is only important to the teams in 7th 8th 9th and lower in league who can use it as a route into Europa League.

Winning the league is all Liverpool have to do this season for it to be a success.

Swango1980

Visit site
Does anyone think this Coronavirus is going to start having a big impact on life in the UK, or just fizzle out. Just wondering how it could effect the Premiership. Imagine in 2-3 weeks, all football matches are called off. When would they replay them? If they were to be played, would it be behind closed doors? Or, if they couldn't be played, would this season effectively be wiped out?

4LEX

Visit site
The 2nd half was so frustrating,very little urgency and very little drive going forward.
Greenwood and Martial non existent up front.
We’ve definitely turned a corner but much work to do in the transfer market in the summer.
Such a poor display from the ref as well imo.

No corners have been turned. It's been a few results that have papered over average performances and the cracks short term. Yesterday was another average performance - Everton probably shaded it. United are snuck on a roundabout of mediocrity because you've got the worst manager in the league in charge. He keeps changing formations, playing people out of position, bad in game management and relies on individual quality and luck. He was grinning like a fool after the game because he views that as a good result. City will probably roll you over next week and then it'll be panic stations again.

The only positive is Fernandes has come in and shown right away the difference a really top class player AND attitude can make. Watch him and Martial - both have talent but only one has the attitude you need to cut it at the top level. But like anything United related it begs the question why wasn't he signed in the summer, why did the deal almost fall apart in January and why did it take a Barcelona bid along with a 2-0 home defeat to Burnley to push Woodward into action. I'd not have one bit of faith he's got the skills to get the really key signings you need over the line in the face of genuine competition.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does anyone think this Coronavirus is going to start having a big impact on life in the UK, or just fizzle out. Just wondering how it could effect the Premiership. Imagine in 2-3 weeks, all football matches are called off. When would they replay them? If they were to be played, would it be behind closed doors? Or, if they couldn't be played, would this season effectively be wiped out?

At the moment with only 36 confirmed cases it isn't an issue. Once that gets into the thousands and the daily rate increases as we've seen in other countries I can see a lot of sporting fixtures impacted. With the Euros this season it'll be hard to extend the season and not sure they could cram extra midweek games especially if the likes of City and Liverpool are in the CL and the other English sides in the Europa league have an extended run

Swango1980

Visit site
No corners have been turned. It's been a few results that have papered over average performances and the cracks short term. Yesterday was another average performance - Everton probably shaded it. United are snuck on a roundabout of mediocrity because you've got the worst manager in the league in charge. He keeps changing formations, playing people out of position, bad in game management and relies on individual quality and luck. He was grinning like a fool after the game because he views that as a good result. City will probably roll you over next week and then it'll be panic stations again.

The only positive is Fernandes has come in and shown right away the difference a really top class player AND attitude can make. Watch him and Martial - both have talent but only one has the attitude you need to cut it at the top level. But like anything United related it begs the question why wasn't he signed in the summer, why did the deal almost fall apart in January and why did it take a Barcelona bid along with a 2-0 home defeat to Burnley to push Woodward into action. I'd not have one bit of faith he's got the skills to get the really key signings you need over the line in the face of genuine competition.
United's dealing in the transfer market are really really poor. Yes, Fernandes looks good in terms of not only ability, but his mindset. However, you are right, why has it taken so long to sign somebody like that.

It is as if now, United wait until players confirm their ability at other clubs, and only then try to buy them. Problems with waiting that long are:

• The players will now command a much higher transfer fee
  • United risk losing out because other clubs will come in earlier and sign these players before United even think about signing them
  • The players United end up buying, are then players that other big clubs have not ultimately signed (could be a sign they are not as good as might be suggested), or they are big big players that may well now be looking for a move to earn big bucks, with wanting to win titles almost being secondary (e.g. potentially Pogba and Sanchez)
Go back to the days when United were successful, if they didn't come through the youth system, United would buy top talent when they were still relatively young, often before a lot of the rest of Europe even came sniffing or put in a genuine offer. If United acted like they did back then, they would have probably already gone out and bought a player of the calibre of James Maddison or Jack Grealish a year or 2 ago. Instead, if they do go for players like that in the summer, they are basically waiting until their clubs can demand the highest possible transfer fee and players the highest possible wage. Basically, United look really slow off the mark.

Worse still, there are players at the club who should have been shipped off long long ago, but for some reason we keep hold of them. Phil Jones, Lingard, Pereira, Dalot have all done well to pick up a salary at United for as long as they have.

I wouldn't blame the managers for that, it just seems that at board level they don't have anyone that really knows what they are doing. Or at least, they don't have the skills that Gill would have had.

In terms of Solskjaer himself, yes he has never proved himself to be a great manager. So, basically United have employed an ex-player that the fans are not likely to get angry with, even when things go wrong. Basically, the safe choice. And, I'd imagine Solksjaer would be a bit of a "yes" man.

Personally, if you added a player like Grealish into midfield (bit of creativity and confidence), Traore on the right (raw pace and strength), and a player like Harry Kane or Jiminez (proper goal scorer) up front, the overall team would start to look quite good, on paper. But, the question would be, good Solskjaer get that team to compete with the likes of Man City or Liverpool? My thought, no, probably not. I doubt there is much evidence out there to say he has the talent and personality to get the best out of players in the way Guardiola or Klopp can. I'd think there would be a better chance of someone like Pochettino or even Nono Espirito Santo getting a lot more out of the players. But, given the disastrous antics of the United board since Ferguson left, it is hard to think they are suddenly going to start getting it right

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really!!! Have you changed your views on Mourinho now ?
In what sense? I still think he was the only man for the job once they'd decided to let Poch go. He's done ok up to a point, it is obviously going to be a struggle without any strikers though. I do question his decision to leave Toby and Jan out when we were already without Hugo though, that was a bit baffling. I said it before but after the City & Villa wins he had the best record other than Liverpool since his (Mourinho) appointment. Losing the next three games in all comps has tarnished that a bit, but he needs to find an answer to that no striker conundrum, and apparently he is unwilling to chuck Parrott in for whatever reason.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

As Bunkermagnet said, play the games behind closed doors would be the obvious answer.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In what sense? I still think he was the only man for the job once they'd decided to let Poch go. He's done ok up to a point, it is obviously going to be a struggle without any strikers though. I do question his decision to leave Toby and Jan out when we were already without Hugo though, that was a bit baffling. I said it before but after the City & Villa wins he had the best record other than Liverpool since his (Mourinho) appointment. Losing the next three games in all comps has tarnished that a bit, but he needs to find an answer to that no striker conundrum, and apparently he is unwilling to chuck Parrott in for whatever reason.

You still haven't stated WHY you no longer watch Spurs.
In addition we do have a striker in Lucas Moura

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Hope that does not happen, but if I get the virus am having a cheeky weekend in Liverpool ????