Premier League 2019-2020 we’re off

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
An offensive term is just that, no matter who is using it.

I remember when we went to Amsterdam and it was pointed out that the Nazis used to put pink triangles on the LGBT people before they went to the extermination camps in the same way Jews had a yellow star. Since then the LGBT have turned the pink triangle badge upside down to use as a positive. To say we have nothing to be ashamed of. I get that.
But this, am not sure who at the Oxford dictionary thought this a good idea.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I remember when we went to Amsterdam and it was pointed out that the Nazis used to put pink triangles on the LGBT people before they went to the extermination camps in the same way Jews had a yellow star. Since then the LGBT have turned the pink triangle badge upside down to use as a positive. To say we have nothing to be ashamed of. I get that.
But this, am not sure who at the Oxford dictionary thought this a good idea.
The Oxford Dictionary tell us how words are used, not how we should use them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thoughts on this one,esp spurs fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51479810
Just made me laugh to be honest. I think @Kellfire has it right, Spurs fans do get called 'yiddos' by themselves and by others, so makes sense to have it in the dictionary as a definition. To my mind that is actually the primary definition - if I someone said to me "I had to leave that pub, it was full of yids" I would assume he meant Spurs fans and not that he was simply being derogatory towards some Jewish people. But that's only from my personal experience, I don't know any Jewish people or live near any Jewish communities so I'm less likely to hear it in the derogatory way anyway.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Just made me laugh to be honest. I think @Kellfire has it right, Spurs fans do get called 'yiddos' by themselves and by others, so makes sense to have it in the dictionary as a definition. To my mind that is actually the primary definition - if I someone said to me "I had to leave that pub, it was full of yids" I would assume he meant Spurs fans and not that he was simply being derogatory towards some Jewish people. But that's only from my personal experience, I don't know any Jewish people or live near any Jewish communities so I'm less likely to hear it in the derogatory way anyway.

Is it sometimes the way it is said as against the word itself. I say that as I had a gay pal who worked at the pit. He used to get some banter off the lads and he more than gave it back. But he said some of the lads had venom in there words and just hated him purely because he was gay. That aside some of the guys he mentioned were out and out ignorant knobs anyway.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Spurs fans live in a bubble regarding this. I don't think anyone outside of Spurs fans would hear that same comment and think the same thought. Saying that, I have genuinely never heard anti Jewish comments in day to day life but then I don't live near any pockets of Jewish communities.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think Spurs fans live in a bubble regarding this. I don't think anyone outside of Spurs fans would hear that same comment and think the same thought. Saying that, I have genuinely never heard anti Jewish comments in day to day life but then I don't live near any pockets of Jewish communities.
There are definitely enough people who take 'yid' to mean 'Spurs fan' that it warrants an entry in the dictionary though, I would say. Since that is what we were discussing. And it's not just Spurs fans per se, it's all football fans.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't take Yid to mean a Spurs fan, never have, never will.
Is Gooner in said dictionary?
A far more widely used reference to a particular teams' fan base.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't take Yid to mean a Spurs fan, never have, never will.
Is Gooner in said dictionary?
A far more widely used reference to a particular teams' fan base.

But Gooner doesn’t have a double barreled meaning like yid does, so it’s not deemed to be derogatory like being called a yid currently does, just for being a spurs supporter and not for being Jewish.

If yid or Yiddo gets put in the dictionary as a description towards being a spurs supporter, does that then remove the racist element of it which can currently get you removed from a ground and even arrested! Even though their own fans sing and chant it about themselves?

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
But Gooner doesn’t have a double barreled meaning like yid does, so it’s not deemed to be derogatory like being called a yid currently does, just for being a spurs supporter and not for being Jewish.

If yid or Yiddo gets put in the dictionary as a description towards being a spurs supporter, does that then remove the racist element of it which can currently get you removed from a ground and even arrested! Even though their own fans sing and chant it about themselves?
No because there are plenty of insulting words in the dictionary.

Wolf

Visit site
Hardly the same context as the term Yid is though. I have to admit I find it quite sad that such a racial derogatory term is used by fans to name each other. It's also quite surprising how you say you view tue term considering how you were unhappy at the Bournemouth fan not getting a life ban for racist chanting, but will happily overlook your own fans using this term openly. Shows people are willing to over look things if it's for their own team.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hardly the same context as the term Yid is though. I have to admit I find it quite sad that such a racial derogatory term is used by fans to name each other. It's also quite surprising how you say you view tue term considering how you were unhappy at the Bournemouth fan not getting a life ban for racist chanting, but will happily overlook your own fans using this term openly. Shows people are willing to over look things if it's for their own team.
Firstly, I just answered his question, I didn't say it was the same. Secondly, there's a thing called context. Just because I think someone calling me a yid because I support Spurs is fine, I don't also think calling a Jewish person a yid in anger is fine.

Before you say it, I concede that calling someone who is Jewish and a Spurs fan a yid is probably a grey area. :ROFLMAO:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No because there are plenty of insulting words in the dictionary.

yes there are, but that’s not what I wrote or asked, was it!

I stated, if yid or Yiddo is, or as I note now, has been added to the dictionary as a shared description towards being a spurs supporter would or should that remove the racist element at football matches.

If they (Spurs) are now deemed or believe they can now openly call themselves the yiddo army, or a yid (singular) as being a supporter of Spurs as it’s now shares that meaning in the dictionary, then surely opposing fans can describe them as that in the same vein without any repercussions.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
yes there are, but that’s not what I wrote or asked, was it!

I stated, if yid or Yiddo is, or as I note now, has been added to the dictionary as a shared description towards being a spurs supporter would or should that remove the racist element at football matches.

If they (Spurs) are now deemed or believe they can now openly call themselves the yiddo army, or a yid (singular) as being a supporter of Spurs as it’s now shares that meaning in the dictionary, then surely opposing fans can describe them as that in the same vein without any repercussions.
No it doesn’t.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
No it doesn’t.

says who, you?

Surely that’s double standards, if they can call themselves a yid, then I should be able to label them the same, as it’s now on record in the dictionary as being a spurs supporter, unless it clearly states that its a derogatory term towards a spurs supporter but then that wouldn’t allow them to use it themselves.

They can’t have it both ways!

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
says who, you?

Surely that’s double standards, if they can call themselves a yid, then I should be able to label them the same, as it’s now on record in the dictionary as being a spurs supporter, unless it clearly states that its a derogatory term towards a spurs supporter but then that wouldn’t allow them to use it themselves.

They can’t have it both ways!
I’m saying that no it doesn’t remove the racist element. As I said earlier, it being in the dictionary doesn’t make it ok.