Precision Golf in Egham

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Although the first post came across a little bitter and too late after the fact as the op acknowledged old have found a set for in his second post, £1300 is steep for a set of irons and I wouldn't be paying that, surely the fitter could have suggested a similar performing set for nearly half that

DCB

Visit site
All down to choice. £1300 for a full fitting with bells and whistles is still down to the OPs personal choice. We all make bad choices now and again, especially when it comes to golf kit. Always the kits fault and never our though ;)

YoricHunt

Visit site
All down to choice. £1300 for a full fitting with bells and whistles is still down to the OPs personal choice. We all make bad choices now and again, especially when it comes to golf kit. Always the kits fault and never our though ;)

It was down to me to go with the clubs, no question. However, the only options given to me by PG where these or the MP53s that were almost identical in price.

Sure I should have said no, but I guess I thought these guys are the professionals they know what they're doing. Which I'm sure most of the time they do. I just feel the outcome would have been the same if I'd have gone to a manufacturer fitting, which probably would have been a lot less money.

I think they over specced me for my standard of play. Do I really need a £165 shaft on my driver. Perhaps I do, but it just doesn't feel necessary. Could I not have got a decent shaft for half that price. As I've said, a lot of this is my own fault, I should have been a lot more vocal.

To reply to the point earlier about 'You can't buy a game'. Isn't that the premise of their company. You pay us money and we'll improve your game.

Last edited:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I just ask.....what's the exact spec of the irons, wedges, shafts and grips....??
Just curious as to what was purchased for such a huge sum of money......??
Also, the driver shaft.....??

YoricHunt

Visit site
2 Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedge Tour Chrome, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH - £287

7 Titleist AP2 Irons, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH - £1110

Driver re-shaft - Oban Devotion 6 - £163

In all cases, Lamkin Crossline Oversize grips fitted and SST Puring.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I got a C/F on some Ping G25's. In fact tried them at two separate places and were the best for my swing. However I made a mistake and couldn't get on with them from an aesthetic perspective and lost confidence with the short irons. Granted I didn't get the all singing all dancing fit the OP did but I got fitted for the swing I had on the day. There was nothing wrong with them. I should have waited until the swing changes I was making had bedded in and then gone for the I version which is what I ended up doing.

My point is, was it the fitters fault. Absolutely not. He did the job I asked and fitted me for the best performing club. I was there for over four hours working from driver to wedge and I still have the G25 wood and tour wedges so he didn't do that bad a job. Would blame him for me not liking the look of the irons? Of course not.

My take is the OP bought them on a whim and feels aggrieved he can't get on with them. Has he considered looking at his swing and getting a lesson or two to see if there is anything that can be done to improve their performance?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
There's an important general point worth making here.

I take the point that you were an inexperienced golfer in a premium fitting environment, thus you felt partially obliged to purchase based on expert recommendation. You feel it hasn't worked for you and this is unusual for PG as most of their fitting do work. With this premium service you do get the opportunity, free of charge, if I understand correctly, to remedy the situation. You won't get this after-care elsewhere, as it would no doubt cost extra or not even entertained. Which leads nicely onto my point...

False economy. You read many people going for a fit at AG or wherever and then purchase clubs. Twelve months later, they are back there again, getting another fit because the clubs 'weren't' right. Then, they go to another fitter a few months later and they recommend another set. It's not unusual with the amount of club changes that I see on this forum, to actually spend more over say, three years on several fits, rather than one 'right', expensive fit.

Yes you could have gone directly to a cheaper manufacturer fitting, but there's a higher risk of a poorer fit as you only see what that manufacturer can offer. PG have the knowledge across all brands to maximise the chance of a best possible fit.

It's a shame it hasn't worked for you, but you do have a chance to sort, 2 years down the line. I'd recommend you take it up and stop looking back.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
2 Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedge Tour Chrome, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH - £287

7 Titleist AP2 Irons, Nippon NS Pro 1050GH - £1110

Driver re-shaft - Oban Devotion 6 - £163

In all cases, Lamkin Crossline Oversize grips fitted and SST Puring.

Crickey!

I bought a set of AP2's about the same time with upgrade shafts and grips and paid about £630!

For nearly double the cost I would have expected a single figure handicap to be included in the price!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To reply to the point earlier about 'You can't buy a game'. Isn't that the premise of their company. You pay us money and we'll improve your game.

If you can't see the difference between 'improve your game' or 'make sure your equipment isn't holding you back' and 'buy a game', then there is no hope for you! Take up bowls!

As a matter of interest, did you belong to a Club when you went to the fitting? Do you now?
How often have you played in the 2 years you have had the kit?
Were you getting coaching? Did you practice? How? How often?
Are you getting coaching? Do you practice? How? How often?

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crickey!

I bought a set of AP2's about the same time with upgrade shafts and grips and paid about £630!

Very valid point as yours were nearly half the price

As the fitting charge is not deducted from any purchase(s)
Was it not an option
To just take the results / recommendations / spec sheets away and contact a local pro or Titleist stockist for a price??
You could have avoided puring costs if so against the process??
Also getting a price comparison??

If there were any doubts, surely you would get another quote(s).....??

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to use my car thing again.... If you go to Ferrari to buy a car they do not check how good you are at driving. They give you what you came in to buy, A premium product with your specs.

The very best thing on this post is that even after 2 years the OP has the chance to go back and revisit the situation.

That the OP has not told us about this other set of clubs he tried that have him hit it much better means he may well already have the best set for him and he is just a poor or unpracticed golfer.

There is not a head/shaft combo on the planet that can stop you coming over the top.....

OP: PG are not offering you to "buy a game" they are offering you the best clubs for your game.

S

Snelly

Interesting thread.

These anecdotes validate my own view in relation to fitting, puring, stepping and so on. I have always believed the advantages are pretty negligible for anyone north of low single figures. Simply because sub-par rounds existed a long time before any of this new voodoo!

If you don't have good fundamentals for golf in place then spending £1500 on equipment won't make much difference and you may as well buy some 5 year old Pings and spend the money you've saved on actually playing the game and learning the skills required to improve properly through hard work and practice.

Golf is about the golfer, not the golf clubs. It is an uncomfortable truth for many on this forum.