Precision Golf in Egham

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not a member of a club and haven't been since the 80s :D

Like Oddsocks, I've been very impressed with your detailed and informative posts on your quest for a driver that will do what you hope it will. Like Oddsocks, I'm also curious about the fact that your sig says no handicap and you say you haven't had a handicap since the 80s. You are clearly determined to get the equipment to help you play to the level you feel you can achieve. My question is how have you managed to maintain your standard of play with no competitive golf for well over 20 years- or is that another story?

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like Oddsocks, I've been very impressed with your detailed and informative posts on your quest for a driver that will do what you hope it will. Like Oddsocks, I'm also curious about the fact that your sig says no handicap and you say you haven't had a handicap since the 80s. You are clearly determined to get the equipment to help you play to the level you feel you can achieve. My question is how have you managed to maintain your standard of play with no competitive golf for well over 20 years- or is that another story?

It's a fair question to ask. I don't have an official handicap but after 25 years of social golf with like minded mates, I know to a reasonable degree my handicap. Admittedly because I'm playing lots of different courses we can only play off the yellows, this distorts it a touch, plus I'm not under competition pressure. We used to play twice a week in the days of a single life...:whistle:...now it's around once a month due to young family. I now nearly always play at Hindhead off the whites (playing with member).

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Admittedly because I'm playing lots of different courses we can only play off the yellows... I now nearly always play at Hindhead off the whites (playing with member).

This is one of the things I really dislike about many clubs. I'd like to be able to make my own choice as to which tees I play on any day - course care/maintenance notwithstanding. There was no problem at my clubs in Scotland but when I came back 'darn sarf' the club I joined didn't even put whites, except for competitions (??!!) until May or so and then only on weekends! That got sorted out eventually, but frustrating while that applied.

It can be done, and a Society I'm in even convinced the Colonels at The Berkshire to let us go off the whites - I was the highest cap at 10 or 11.

Current club allows 'user choice' and even Wentworth gives visitors the option.

Another of those 'it's always been this way' ones?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree 100%, had similar situation when whites disappeared - since restored for the whole year. The only reservation I would have is dealing with societies with large numbers of novices. It helps neither members or visitors to have 28-handicappers (or no handicappers) to be playing off tiger tees.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is one of the things I really dislike about many clubs. I'd like to be able to make my own choice as to which tees I play on any day - course care/maintenance notwithstanding. There was no problem at my clubs in Scotland but when I came back 'darn sarf' the club I joined didn't even put whites, except for competitions (??!!) until May or so and then only on weekends! That got sorted out eventually, but frustrating while that applied.

It can be done, and a Society I'm in even convinced the Colonels at The Berkshire to let us go off the whites - I was the highest cap at 10 or 11.

Current club allows 'user choice' and even Wentworth gives visitors the option.

Another of those 'it's always been this way' ones?

It is frustrating not being able to play on whites at most courses. I think it's seen as a member's right and privilege. I don't have a problem with it, except that I won't get a real feel for the course of the yellows, thus I could unfairly criticise the track. TBH, I prefer the whites as my long game is better than my short!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree. At Bearwood Lakes, we can play off any tees we like, although some people who start on the blacks at the 1st drift forward a set when they get to the 7th, where it makes a major difference to the tee shot.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Here's my Trackman average stats for the clubs I hit on the day:

Average Trackman stats Feb 2012.jpg

The first line is my current i15 driver, showing I was hitting very slightly down, not helping with the spin rate. With the shorter length stiff Alpha 60 RIP, this turned into a lower spin rate, a positive AoA and slightly better smash factor. This spin rate should come down a bit further with the tuned X-stiff shaft on order.

My 3w was compared to a 3w Diamana whiteboard, but the stats show that my setup was good already :)

The last two are my hybrid and 6i. :D

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Correction to above! It will be ready at lunchtime! :clap: Gonna have to smack it at Silvermere straight after collection. :D

Well, I picked it up. It is a thing of beauty...and strangely, it just doesn't look like a 910 D3 you would get off the shelf. I'm probably biased but it really does look "made-for". I spanked a few at the range (I was warned that the club won't perform it's best with range balls) and it was just lovely.

Acid test is tomorrow on the course! :D

YoricHunt

Visit site
Just want to add my experience down here as it may be valuable.

I started off with their full bag custom fitting at £200 for a 3 hour session (2012). The session lasted only 1.5 hours, I'm an 18 handicapper, so I'm sure there was a lot more they could have gone through with me. £200 for 1.5 hours, not bad if you can get it, especially when this isn't even offset against the cost of clubs if you decide to buy.

During the session, the only feedback I had was that my current clubs were a bit too heavy. They then asked whether I liked the classic style head or am open to something more radical.

I stated my preference was classic, after which they offered me the choice of 2 club heads (Titleist AP2 or Mizuno MP54), the price difference being negligible, and the choice of 1 shaft. I realise I'm quite tall, hence why I went for the custom fitting, but this limited choice was poor IMO.

I must say, they did have a great choice in grips.

Nothing else about my game was discussed, and when I got the quote back from them, well to say it was astronomical was an under statement. I asked about ways to shave some money off, perhaps getting rid of the SST Pureing on the shaft. After all, it makes next to no difference to someone of my calibre, and really is a top end requirement. However, they wouldn't budge, saying it's not possible to have them without as they believe in it so strongly.

I ended up buying the clubs, but have since felt like I was a bit conned to be honest. I think I could have had just as good an experience going to a Titleist fitting day or getting fitted at my local club.

When the clubs did arrive, one was missing. When they delivered the missing club it was last years model, so it had to go back to be changed.

I was in my local pro shop recently, and one of the pros saw my shafts and remarked that he'd heard about the SST technology but had never seen any clubs with it. He also saw my over spec'd Driver shaft, and believes I was somewhat taken for a ride, getting top notch equipment that wasn't really necessary.

I won't say who my fitter was that day, but I did see someone else being fitted with Simon Cooper, and that seemed to be a much more engaging session. Indeed, my guy went to Simon on a couple of occasions for advice. So if you do go, insist on getting Simon.

Anyway, hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I started off with their full bag custom fitting at £200 for a 3 hour session (2012).

I stated my preference was classic, after which they offered me the choice of 2 club heads (Titleist AP2 or Mizuno MP54), the price difference being negligible, and the choice of 1 shaft. I realise I'm quite tall, hence why I went for the custom fitting, but this limited choice was poor IMO.

Did you take advantage of their '3 shots off your handicap' guarantee?

And one small query. If your session was in 2012, How come they offered you MP54s - which were first released in (July) 2013?:confused:

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

I started off with their full bag custom fitting at £200 for a 3 hour session (2012). The session lasted only 1.5 hours, I'm an 18 handicapper, so I'm sure there was a lot more they could have gone through with me. £200 for 1.5 hours, not bad if you can get it, especially when this isn't even offset against the cost of clubs if you decide to buy.

During the session, the only feedback I had was that my current clubs were a bit too heavy. They then asked whether I liked the classic style head or am open to something more radical.

I must say, they did have a great choice in grips.

Nothing else about my game was discussed, and when I got the quote back from them, well to say it was astronomical was an under statement. I asked about ways to shave some money off, perhaps getting rid of the SST Pureing on the shaft. After all, it makes next to no difference to someone of my calibre, and really is a top end requirement. However, they wouldn't budge, saying it's not possible to have them without as they believe in it so strongly.

I ended up buying the clubs, but have since felt like I was a bit conned to be honest. I think I could have had just as good an experience going to a Titleist fitting day or getting fitted at my local club.

When the clubs did arrive, one was missing. When they delivered the missing club it was last years model, so it had to go back to be changed.

I was in my local pro shop recently, and one of the pros saw my shafts and remarked that he'd heard about the SST technology but had never seen any clubs with it. He also saw my over spec'd Driver shaft, and believes I was somewhat taken for a ride, getting top notch equipment that wasn't really necessary.

I won't say who my fitter was that day, but I did see someone else being fitted with Simon Cooper, and that seemed to be a much more engaging session. Indeed, my guy went to Simon on a couple of occasions for advice. So if you do go, insist on getting Simon.

Anyway, hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Thanks for this, very interesting. I think you should have been aware of the cost so gone in with your eyes open but I am interested to hear that money aside you do not feel like you had enough choice.

How has your game gone since and are you still using your clubs?