Pre-shot routine

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been playing this game for 15 years and am off 10, however I have never had a pre-shot routine. Not on any shot with any club and I got thinking

"WHAT IS A GOOD PRE-SHOT ROUTINE AND WOULD IT HELP ME?"

I would like your thoughts on this topic and any advice is greatly appreciated.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think having one specific action before hitting the ball helps me relax under pressure. I always stand behind the ball and pick a small target.

I don't think this really counts as a 'pre-shot routine' but it I think it definitely helps me feel more comfortable and confident...

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
A pre-shot routine is both a mental preparation and a physical check list to set you up with the best possible chance of hitting the ball as you intend. I use one on very shot; I stand behind the ball, pick my target, pick an intermediate target at 6-10 inches ahead of the ball, walk up to the ball, square myself up to the intermediate target, feel a slight tension in the back of my legs, fall into my stance and focus on a smooth take away..... never once looking at the target until my ball is airborne......FORE!!!!!! Well I didn't say it would make you better, just give you a better chance, try it.

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Madandra I am with you, I have beeen playing for about 18 years and i still don't have a pre-shot routine but everyone tells me it would help. Like the sound of something short and simple like Chipin1's "target picking" - any other good ones that won't make me feel like i am preparing for Augusta?!

golfdonkey

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a fan of this 'pre-shot routine' malarky. How many of us actually have time to do one? Rely on your instincts I say.

The_Golfer

Club Champion
Visit site
If you have played for years without a pre-shot routine then it is unlikely you would adjust yourself to find the benefits....it's like teaching an old dog new tricks. Personally it was the way I was introduced to golf and it is now part of me; without it I feel unprepared, indeed it would equate to me not giving the shot much attention.....call it malarky or whatever, we are all different and what works for one may not work for another.