Pre-round warm up / routine

TigerBear

Visit site
Big bowl of cereal and mug of coffee about 30 mins before I leave the house.

Always aim to get there about 30mins early (obviously can't do that during covid times) light stretches,15 mins on the chipping green and 10 mins putting.

My PP is more of a rock up and play guy, no warm up, no stretches, no putting, smokes a ciggie and then tees up on the first :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big bowl of cereal and mug of coffee about 30 mins before I leave the house.

Always aim to get there about 30mins early (obviously can't do that during covid times) light stretches,15 mins on the chipping green and 10 mins putting.

My PP is more of a rock up and play guy, no warm up, no stretches, no putting, smokes a ciggie and then tees up on the first :LOL:

My course doesnt have practice nets etc near the tee.. it has a range but that's a small drive away (litterally can't walk it) and the range is always rammed as it's one of only 2 local ranges

So have become a roll up and hit kind of guy now

My golf has actually somehow improved lol no idea how

I think it's due to fact that every lockdown the club's go away forgotten about .. and when I come back im like how do I swing the club and all I then remember is how my pro taught me to hit rather than how I used to hit .. not saying I hit every shot perfect but for example my driving has gone from a slice to a draw and from 200 best to 220 average with a few 260s every round

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I now do some stretching at home before I leave, they're a bit yoga-based and I would feel a little silly doing them in public so easier to do at home. Only takes 5 minutes though. There are practise nets at my course but I tend to ignore those as I've only arrived with 10 minutes to spare. Have about 10 practise swings going forward and back, often with the putter as it's heavier, and with more rotation than my normal swing - just do this until my back clicks. I have generally ignored the putting green as well, but my putting has been so bad that I do now have about three putts, or however long it takes to hole one. Then awayyyy we go.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I now do some stretching at home before I leave, they're a bit yoga-based and I would feel a little silly doing them in public so easier to do at home. Only takes 5 minutes though. There are practise nets at my course but I tend to ignore those as I've only arrived with 10 minutes to spare. Have about 10 practise swings going forward and back, often with the putter as it's heavier, and with more rotation than my normal swing - just do this until my back clicks. I have generally ignored the putting green as well, but my putting has been so bad that I do now have about three putts, or however long it takes to hole one. Then awayyyy we go.

Rick and morty reference meant orrrr?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i didn't do anything other than have my heated seat on for the drive over. start of last year i went to some golf spec stretching coaching to improve flexibility mostly upper body turn. try and do these before i leave and then on the first tee waiting to go, its improved my game, esp now the 1st hole is much harder.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
5-10 minutes of stretching, particularly the back with full body turns some up and downs to loosen the knees and usually about 10 balls down the range (we do not have nets at the moment).

Sometimes it is a bit of chipping and putting practice.

sunshine

Visit site
Typically...
- 5 mins on the putting green. A few medium length putts to get a feel for the speed of the greens on the day, then a few short ones to give me a good feeling of holing out.
- Then 20 minutes on the range. Start with pitching wedge short swings, build up to full swing, then some shots with a mid iron. Finish with driver. In an ideal world I'll finish with a lovely smooth driver nailed down the middle, then I can walk the 80 or so yards up to the first tee and repeat the swing (rarely work out like that :ROFLMAO:).

If I have more time, I'll hit more balls with more clubs and do some chipping. That's pretty rare.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If my pre-round warm up comprises more than holding a cup of hot coffee and a breakfast roll - then it’ll be hitting a dozen balls on the range, six with my 6i and six with my 3h. About 10mins max. I know that apart from my driver and wedges (which I’m fine with hitting cold) these are two clubs I am most likely to use most on the first and the subsequent three holes.

RichA

Visit site
I'm generally worried that I might hit my allocation of 2 good shots for the day before I've reached the first tee, if I have a practice.
Coffee and a smoke, basic stretches and twists followed by staring into the distance for a few minutes to wake my distance vision up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm generally worried that I might hit my allocation of 2 good shots for the day before I've reached the first tee, if I have a practice.
Coffee and a smoke, basic stretches and twists followed by staring into the distance for a few minutes to wake my distance vision up.
Exactly why I only hit six with each of the two clubs I warm up with. I hope that I don’t use up my good ones but (almost) hope that I do hit one or two of my really bad ones. Get them out of the way. Actually I dont want to hit any really bad ones in my six - but if I do I tell myself I’ve got these out of the way.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to do the breakfast and range warm up, but I’m usually off at 07.30 now so my pre golf routine is walking the dogs and a meal replacement shake in the car.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Breakfast is 40g oats, 250ml water, cinnamon, 20g peanut butter, banana, frozen berries, 3 eggs, 2 reduced fat sausages, spinach and 1/2 avocado.

At the moment - arrive 20 mins before tee go get scorecard etc then a 15 minute mobility workout. I want to be injury free for as long as possible - getting up and swinging cold? No wonder most golfers I know are broken or have the mobility of an ice lolly stick.

Last edited:

Fabia999

Visit site
10 minutes on the putting green, pretend I understand how fast they're rolling. I get on my tee box as early as I can to swing and stretch.

eddie_1878

Visit site
A good breakfast, coffee and plenty of water a couple of hours-ish before. Stretch at home. Arrive 45 mins before tee off. Hit 20 odd balls in the nets, 10 mins chipping, 10 mins putting.

Can’t recommend loosening in the nets before your round, enough. I feel so much more relaxed off the first tee and it’s certainly helped my scores.