Practise beginning to pay off

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I have had a real issue with my driver off the tee with a sever topping of the ball 3 foot in front of me most of the time. I normally use an iron. Been practising lots on the range and mentally in terms of visualisation/breathing etc. Having lessons as well. All beginning to pay off. Today I didn't hit one top shot. Took my driver on all par 4 and 5 bar three holes. Very happy - longest drive was 261 and I averaged 237 over 10 holes. (Garmin s20) Shot .8 under my handicap of 19.8.
Nick is a happy chap!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Based on those driving stats you shouldn’t be playing off 20 much longer.

What are you visualising off the tee now that you weren’t before?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks. Will try and get down to 15 ish this year. Visualising the shot and other times when I e nailed it, but without the clutter of negative thoughts of what ifs. Short game is next to focus on.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Based on those driving stats you shouldn’t be playing off 20 much longer.

What are you visualising off the tee now that you weren’t before?

you say that, but I know a few long/big hitters who play off high handicap. When they get around the green they have zero feel and can't putt at all. Distance off a tee shot does not define where your handicap should be.
I know cat 1 golfers who drive the ball around the 230 yard mark, which is much shorter, but around the green they are considerably better.
y

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree. My second shots to the green both in distance and direction need work and my chipping also. But I'm starting from the tee shot, trying to get that right and then practise second shot and so on etc.