Practicing and boredom

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Get 12 balls and imagine a tight fairway between 2 markers on the range. 7i and there are 4 levels...

Level 1 - hit 1 ball in the target zone
Level 2 - hit 1st ball in the target zone and 2nd ball to the right of that but still within the target zone
Level 3 - hit 1st ball in the target zone, 2nd ball to the right of that and 3rd ball to the right of 2nd ball but still within the target zone
Level 4 - you get the picture...!

So if you do all levels you've used 10 balls. You have the extra 2 to basically use a mulligan - tactics come into play here.

Sounds easy but actually isn't - especially if you tighten the target zone.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Variety. I’ll start with a wedge to warm up but never more than 2 or 3 to the same target with the aim of hitting the 40 yard basket, then getting close to the 50 yard marker and then the 75. 15-20 mins

I’ve been struggling with irons so I’ll focus on alignment, pre shot routine and hit balls to a target, again 1 or 2 at the LHS 150 marker, 1 or 2 over the 100 marker and then 1 or 2 to the 150 on the RHS of the range. I’ll spend 15-20 mins on this.

Then I’ll go to the chipping green with about 10 balls and chip them to one of the pins. Then I’ll kick them off the green and play them from where they lie. 15-20 mins

Lastly, I’ll go back to the irons on the range for 10 mins or so.

There’s an area of rough over the back of the chipping green where everyone’s duffs or bladed shots go. If there’s a few over there I’ll hit them from out the rough.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am a bit strange in that I don't really get bored, I can literally hit balls for 4-5 hours and be quite happy, also try and spend a couple of hours a week on the putting green at least in the height of summer.
You're not alone. I love to practice and try different things and have probably been too much of a tinkerer in the past. I can spend hours especially on short game and putting and it's usually a loss of concentration before fatigue that brings an end to the session

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Different length chips works well for me.

With sufficient balls, I can detect a better concentration around (hopefully just past) the target(s) after a 'circuit' or 2. Using different clubs can mean that 'awkward' distances cn be covered with natural swing/strike. When I've done this seriously in the past, it has certainly transferred to the course, but haven't really been able to devote sufficient time to it recently.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I also keep records of my sessions especially target based practice and specifically short game. I want something to compare back to and see if I am improving (so how many inside 10 feet from 60 yard, how many up and down chips etc, how many 4 foot putts out of 20 etc). I do get a bit OCD about it at times

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I just try and keep all shots between 2 markers. Distance isn’t that important as the balls are crap.
I’ll also spend some time hitting knock down iron shots to the targets.
This year I’ll spend more time on the putting and chipping greens

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The range is a winter occupation for me and my friends.

We got every Wednesday night. Can be there for up to an hour and a half. Trying new swings and Trying to help each other.

It's a laugh, breaks up the week and knock the rough off. Seen some good improvement for all who attend. Some others don't bother.

Come the spring and summer we will rarely darken the doors of the place. More likely to be found playing 9 holes or even our par 3 course.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I just try and keep all shots between 2 markers. Distance isn’t that important as the balls are crap.
I’ll also spend some time hitting knock down iron shots to the targets.
This year I’ll spend more time on the putting and chipping greens

I want to see one of those professional’s imprint on your chipper next time I see you mate👍🤣

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does anyone else find the range really frustrating.

I always leave thinking about the bad shots, what if I do that on the course on certain holes...

I expect to hit the good ones, but the bad ones just make me think that is going to be costly...and there are always going to be bad ones.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Really enjoy the range and get just as much satisfaction from a good range session as I would shooting buffer

Try to go once a week but as a high h/cap I'm never there to alternate hitting a draw and fade with a 4 iron, its all about getting consistency from the swing I have. I tinker with my grip & swing a lot especially after playing poorly but always just trying to find that consistent shot that I know I can hit but isn't 10/10

Often take the full bag but never use every club on one visit (no point in hitting the 7 & the 6 because you're not going to dial in distances with range balls) but take the full bag because I wont know the daily distances to the range greens until I get there (full grass so naturally it moves back & forth every day & distance to every green can vary by 40 yrds + or -)

Sometimes I'll just take the club/s that I hit poorly the last time I played to work on fixing the fault and striking them better but always take the putter to finish with 20/30 minutes on the practice greens

Wish it was cheaper (£5 for 55) but I do use the short game and putting area as well so not too bad and I'd say about 2 hours is a decent duration for a pyramid and putting

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I hit 60 balls at the range, 5 warmups then 5x10 with a different club. Score each shot out of 5 for swing, ball flight and accuracy. Final five shots pitching. Track the stats on an EXCEL so throughout the last three months, I can see the changes (improvement actually) and break it down by club. Every shot counts just like on the course.

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
Tuesday is my practice day. I drop HID off at the gym and then I've got 50 mins to play with. Today was a typical boring practice day. After about 15 balls on the range I ended up walking away. I'd taken a 4 iron and was hitting a few draws and then a few fades, then switching it back to draws. I'm not sure if I'm actually achieving anything. I pick a type of shot and hit it. And the marker I was aiming for was seeing a reasonable amount of close action.

I retired to the putting green, which I love. I can spend a couple of hours putting quite happily but the range does nowt for me.

What are your practice routines? How do you stay focused?

If you can draw and fade a ball at will, what the hell are you practicing????????

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem with boredom and wouldn't feel I got much out of a range session.

However I went a few weeks ago on a frozen Sunday. The range I have has the shot tracer installed so you get some stats on the shots you have hit. Not debating the accuracy of this - it is what it is, and in my experience gives me a fairly accurate carry distance.

I would basically try and go through the bag and hit 5 shots with each club to get my yardage. I would discount any total mishits, but wanted to avoid just counting the perfect strikes.

I then spent a bit more time on the 4 wedges. PW, 50, 54, 60.
I would measure the distance of a full shot, and then hit a chest to chest shot. (this is the method our pro teaches, rather than the clock face approach).
This got me 8 distances from 109 yards down to 45 yards for a chest to chest 60 degree.

In reality, only 7 as I had one crossover with a C2C 50 carrying 66 yards, which was the same as my full 60 degree.
Toying with swapping the 60 for a 58 as I almost never use the 60 on the course.

Pretty useful and now have a fairly detailed list of clubs and distances to practice on the range or course.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I normally warm up at home using the Limber 11 (works well for the gym and find it just helps with everything) as it looks weird doing iron crosses on the mats at the range :ROFLMAO:
Then I will go through the bag hitting 2 balls with each club.
Then I normally pick a course in my head and try and play the course as if I was there - picking out greens/ O.O.Bs etc and try to keep it in play.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I don't really go driving range anymore. I hit it about 50% worse there than I do on the course so it's a waste of time and effort. Consequently that means I don't practise at all outside of my one round every Saturday, but so be it.

this for me as well. Have been hitting my long irons consistently well for the last few weeks on the course. Went to the range on Monday, hardly hit a decent iron. Hybrid, driver and wedges were ok, but irons were generally poor. Really sowed seeds of doubt in my mind. Then went back on the course yesterday and was hitting them well again. This happened last time I went to the range as well. It's really put me off going to the range which is a shame as I've got a stack of vouchers to use.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am really not one for going to the range. Golf is as much about the social and competitive side to me as it is about hitting golf balls. As such, you take those elements away and I soon lose interest. I know it is something that I should do if I ever want to improve but there are no decent ranges near me and nothing that inspires me to head out and hit a bucket of balls. If the weather is nice in the summer I would rather play 9 holes on my own and I just cannot motivate myself to go out to a range in winter especially, as I said, because the ranges within a few miles of me are pretty poor.