Practice

white_feather

Club Champion
Visit site
After going on a recent golfing holiday and playing dreadfully, I have decided to commit myself to a cycle of practise.

My question is how much pracitise should I be putting in every week?

And what is the most beneficial form of practise, driving range, short game area, on course?

Any help and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

PS - I will be going to my club pro and getting some lessons.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If you have lessons then you need to parctice what you have been taught. A lot. Or it's a waste of time and money.

If you have lessons, you need to know what you expect to get out of them. Tweaks, or getting a proper swing.

Practice what is the weakest part of your game, and then when it ceases to be weak, practice what has become the weakest.

For some reason, I ignore my own advice, and practice mainly my iron play. Partly because it is shockingly bad. It's pointless for me to practice this though, as I never really need to hit any irons. I either hit my hybrid, because I am miles from the green, or a wedge, as I am too close. Even the par 3s are hybrids or wedges.

Lots will say you need to practice your short game the most. This is true, but only if you can get near the green without picking up first.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After going on a recent golfing holiday and playing dreadfully, I have decided to commit myself to a cycle of practise.

My question is how much pracitise should I be putting in every week?

And what is the most beneficial form of practise, driving range, short game area, on course?

Any help and tips would be gratefully appreciated.

PS - I will be going to my club pro and getting some lessons.
start with your putting! you take more putts per round than anything else! ;)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you have lessons then you need to parctice what you have been taught. A lot. Or it's a waste of time and money.

If you have lessons, you need to know what you expect to get out of them. Tweaks, or getting a proper swing.

Practice what is the weakest part of your game, and then when it ceases to be weak, practice what has become the weakest.

For some reason, I ignore my own advice, and practice mainly my iron play. Partly because it is shockingly bad. It's pointless for me to practice this though, as I never really need to hit any irons. I either hit my hybrid, because I am miles from the green, or a wedge, as I am too close. Even the par 3s are hybrids or wedges.

Lots will say you need to practice your short game the most. This is true, but only if you can get near the green without picking up first.

you should really work at the irons. going for par 3's with hybrids is best avoided in my experience. they are not accurate. last year i wasnt all that hot with my 5 iron but worked at it now i even have a 4 iron in the bag.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
you should really work at the irons. going for par 3's with hybrids is best avoided in my experience. they are not accurate. last year i wasnt all that hot with my 5 iron but worked at it now i even have a 4 iron in the bag.

I would, if three of them weren't 200 yards away. The other is 120.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
the dreaded 200yard plus par 3 !! theres really no need to be having these for the amature player! it would the same as giving a pro a 260 plus yard par 3!

GeneralStore

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In my opinion when you are looking to improve something its vital that you measure so you can gauge progression.

Keep stats when you play, not just FIRs and GIRs and then based on those structure your practise to work more on the weakest bit, which will change as you improve and the practise kicks in, but I would still work on a balanced routine

In terms of the short game, everyone says its where you score and that is correct, but there is no point in spending 90% of your practise time on putting if you arent getting the ball into play off the tee. If you are taking 6 shots to get to the green on a par 5, does it really matter if you get up and down? More shots to save by getting there in 3 or 4.

Draw up a routine for the hours you have every week, try and split it up so that you work on a balance of things for 70/80% of the time and then keep the remainder for the weaknesses

This is a link to a routine that an aspiring pro is using, quite interesting and maybe of help

http://gospeedraser.com/2009/03/05/off-week-grind-pro-golfer/

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would say pratice is personal depends how much time you can spare each week to pratice
if you only have one session a week pratice your weakest thing if you have more then you could either pratice ur weakest thing till it becomes good or work on two things each week all down to personal preference in my opinion and i dont think you can beat on cource experience either but that is just my opinion not saying i am right but how i look at the subject

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It would be more sensible to ask your Pro rather than a bunch of axe-murderers!

That said, the short game - especially if you include putting - really is the most important area of the game, because it is the area where shots can be recovered or gained most easily, if you are good at it. Recommended ratio of short to long is about 3:1.

Definitely spend some time grooving the changes that your Pro makes to you full swing though.