Practice putting in a Stableford round

white_feather

Club Champion
Visit site
We saw a guy on Sunday, hole out then drop his ball again and proceed to practice putt on the 8th green in a Stableford competition, is this allowed?

Some said yes, I would have thought no, what is the correct answer?

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
cant see any reason why a committee would enforce such a rule, never come across it in all my years golfing but I've only played up to 36 hole scratch comps on the same day.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
cant see any reason why a committee would enforce such a rule, never come across it in all my years golfing but I've only played up to 36 hole scratch comps on the same day.

Pace of play would be the obvious reason. It is in the European Tour conditions of competition, for example.

Jay1

Head Pro
Visit site
That's a new one on me. I'd always been under the impression that only match play allowed practice putting after finishing the hole, but it's never something I've had reason to look up before.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yea me and my mate have often gone out late morning with noone behind us and rather than wait around on the tee, practice put most holes until the next tee box is clear, and then tee off.

A most relaxing way to spend a round of golf :)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You see, this is where the Rules start to contradict themslves......

No Practice before a Strokeplay round but it's ok during a round - ok on a green you've just played, but what if you're playing a 36 hole event or it's a 9 hole course...?
You're practicing on a part of the course that you may be playing again!

Where's the logic in that?

As per the thread a while back, before a Strokeplay event not everyone will have the chance to practice and that's why it's banned.....well during a round not everyone will have the chance as they may hold up play........

?