Practice putting during competition

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

The above topic came up during a comp last night. I was sure I'd read that practice putting on the hole just completed wasn't allowed during a competition, unless its a matchplay.

Having searched online, it seems I was wrong.

Can anyone confirm that practice putting is ok between holes during a strokeplay comp to put my mind 100% at rest? And has this always been the case?

My PP said that you see it all the time during pro strokeplay events on TV that a player will practice if they miss a putt. I watch a lot of golf and I can't recall ever seeing it during a strokeplay comp, only matchplay. Has anyone witnessed a tour player practise putts on the course during their round in a strokeplay?

D

Deleted member 15344

You are allowed to practise your putting on the green provided you have already completed the hole and your actions don’t unduly hold up play or there is a local Comp rule which states you aren’t allowed to practise your putting ,the local Comp rule is in force on the tour in comps I believe hence why you don’t see them practise but you do see it regularly in Matchplay events

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It's covered in Rule 7-2a (below). It is permitted in both match play and stroke play, but see Note 2 which is done by virtually all professional tours for stroke play.
Can you imagine how slow the rounds would be if it was permitted in stroke play?

[FONT=&quot]7-2[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. During Round [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A player must not make a practice stroke during play of a hole. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Between the play of two holes a player must not make a practice stroke, except that he may practice putting or chipping on or near: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]a. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the putting green of the hole last played,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]b. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]any practice putting green, or [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]c. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]the teeing ground of the next hole to be played in the round, [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]provided a practice stroke is not made from a hazard and does not unduly delay play (Rule 6-7). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Strokes [/FONT][FONT=&quot]made in continuing the play of a hole, the result of which has been decided, are not practice strokes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exception:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] When play has been suspended by the Committee, a player may, prior to resumption of play, practice (a) as provided in this Rule, (b) anywhere other than on the competition course and (c) as otherwise permitted by the Committee. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Penalty for Breach of Rule 7-2: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the event of a breach between the play of two holes, the penalty applies to the next hole. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note 1:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] A practice swing is not a practice stroke and may be taken at any place, provided the player does not breach the Rules. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Note 2:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] The Committee may, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), prohibit: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](a) practice on or near the putting green of the hole last played, and [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](b) rolling a ball on the putting green of the hole last played. [/FONT]

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I understand that it is prohibited in the Pro game as they'd simply take the opportunity to practice the areas where the hole maybe placed the next day.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand that it is prohibited in the Pro game as they'd simply take the opportunity to practice the areas where the hole maybe placed the next day.
The caddies and players on the tours already have the records of previous years' hole locations on the greens of the course to be played. The caddies carry 4 1'4 inch white discs of thin rubber/plastic and throw them onto the green during practice rounds. You would be amazed at how close they come to the actual hole locations for the tournament.
Of course, they also have the "green reading printouts" which they study more than they look at the green itself. Imo, such materials should be banned - as they reduce the need for skill of the player (deskill) to play the game.