Positive Scoring Method

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My wife don't worry about players behind us, she likes to keep up with play in front, which means she rushes a few shots and marches round until we catch up. In this heat it's a bit draining.

Eagle2

Visit site
Think this kind of format has its place, if I am out for just a bounce game with a pal or playing on my own we sometimes Have a mulligan or no penalty in some circumstances.

When out on my own I will normally not count a penalty shot if it’s lost in the rough and believe there is a good chance I would find it using the 3 minutes and another pair of eyes. I do always drop one in that area though and play my next shot.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope, I just don't get it, it's just not for me.
However, if you three are enjoying it, keep going and I wish you well. (y)

The Fader

Visit site
I am off 11 and I count my score in my mind against level 5's

That way unless I am having a particularly bad day I am usually in front of the card. I understand that it is total of the actual numbers
on the card that make the final score but it gives me something positive to focus on even if I'm heading for a score outside buffer.

A golfing mate off 6 counts to level 4's or par and generally feels negative about his game as he needs to be having an exceptional day to be
In front.

Golf for most of us is leisure and pleasure and if you can achieve more of the latter by any means which doesn't affect anyone else, I say crack on!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am off 11 and I count my score in my mind against level 5's

That way unless I am having a particularly bad day I am usually in front of the card. I understand that it is total of the actual numbers
on the card that make the final score but it gives me something positive to focus on even if I'm heading for a score outside buffer.

A golfing mate off 6 counts to level 4's or par and generally feels negative about his game as he needs to be having an exceptional day to be
In front.

Golf for most of us is leisure and pleasure and if you can achieve more of the latter by any means which doesn't affect anyone else, I say crack on!!
Definitely agree that level 5's even on a poorer day gives you something achievable. I'm off 13 and so a level 5 is net 77 (+7) and while it's a 0.1 in competitive golf I find trying to keep to that or ideally a shot or two under gives me a better focus than par

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wife is on fire at the moment. She shot a PSM 107. But, is looking around the course before hitting shots. Balls flying in the air. She's actually hitting it too well as shes hit the green from 100 out only to see balls run over in to bunkers. Confidence is very high. I see no downsides. Our guess was it would have been about a 113 using proper scoring. But we don't dwell on that.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm playing with my son after work today. When we play to relax in the evenings we normally play 1 penalty stroke and drop where the ball is lost or oob. We still hit out of bunkers and gimmies are a couple of feet . It really keeps the round going and is a relaxing way to play and have fun.

Obviously comps are different.

Additionally i like to Par the par 3's and 5's, if you manage that you are prettu much on your way to a decent score. Taking 5's or par 3's is a killer.