Portugal trip help

drs1878

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking at a trip next June, Portugal seems to be the preferred destination.

Any advise on:
Who to book with?
What to avoid.
Suggested courses/ where to stay?

Cheers
Dave

D

Deleted Member 1156

There is a very good section on Portugal in the where to play freebie with this month's edition of the magazine 👍

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Amendoeira. Can’t beat the resort set up. And I’ve tried to find better in terms of overall quality. The apartments are top notch and large enough for group gatherings.
So yearly we go there. Ive used yourgolftravel for groups of three to 22.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So much choice. Play there every year with around 12-16 people. To get best price, play the operators of against each other. Price can change dramatically. Other than that they all offer a very similar product.

Agreed that the price of flights is generally cheapest as soon as. I think the likes of easy jet allow 9-12 months in advance depending on destination

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hope you like the heat!. I would never play golf in June in Portugal given the heat. You might want to be thinking early morning tee times or at least avoid mid day. That being said everyone will be competing for those same early tee times.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Been there in June...temps about mid upper 20s.... but it can vary. Was there a month ago, temps in 30s, about 5c higher than usual. I play golf in that no problem.... use a buggy if hot and drink plenty of water. But everyone’s different.

If you’ve not been before Vilamoura is user friendly, Amendoeira already mentioned... I love San Lorenzo or Quinta do Lago...but need a car if round there and more couples oriented (aka smart expensive restaurants!)

Green fees cheaper in June than in September too... again, talk to a travel firm and see what offers they come clack with...someone on here would have been

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Looking at a trip next June, Portugal seems to be the preferred destination.

Any advise on:
Who to book with?
What to avoid.
Suggested courses/ where to stay?

Cheers
Dave
I'd look to stay somewhere central if you are going to the Algarve. Maybe somewhere close to Villamoura. There are many very good courses within short driving distance from there. In June, I'd look to play fairly early to avoid the heat later in the day. Try to main golf tour operators and see what deals they have.

D

Deleted member 1147

If prices are an issue you can get decent value by travelling away from Villamoura.
I've stayed at both Alvor (west) & Tavira east), both of which were a bit cheaper for nights out.

The golf courses are decent, but not perhaps the standard of the big name Villamoura one's.

drs1878

Head Pro
Visit site
Amendoeira. Can’t beat the resort set up. And I’ve tried to find better in terms of overall quality. The apartments are top notch and large enough for group gatherings.
So yearly we go there. Ive used yourgolftravel for groups of three to 22.

This is winning so far looks great..... what's the script with local shops, bars had for apartment essentials??

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
This is winning so far looks great..... what's the script with local shops, bars had for apartment essentials??

That’s your downside. There’s an Aldi 20 mins away. A very small kiosk for essentials. Bars 20 mins/half hour away.
You need to order Uber’s to civilisation as it’s a fair distance inland.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We got a good deal at Pestana Gramacho last month. £249 a head for 3 nights B&B accommodation in a really nice apartment and unlimited golf with a choice of 5 courses. Used Golfbreaks. Would imagine it would be even cheaper in June.

Restaurant and supermarket on site, 10 mins in a cab to carvoeiro for evening entertainment.

Pestana was the choice in the GM supplement for those on a budget.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We got a good deal at Pestana Gramacho last month. £249 a head for 3 nights B&B accommodation in a really nice apartment and unlimited golf with a choice of 5 courses. Used Golfbreaks. Would imagine it would be even cheaper in June.

Restaurant and supermarket on site, 10 mins in a cab to carvoeiro for evening entertainment.

Pestana courses are the value option. Been there with groups many many times. Usually 6 nights, 5 rounds on different courses, B&B (alvor 4 star Pestana hotel), golf, all transfers - between 340-390 every year. Alvor a good setting - 10 min walk to the centre or a cab for under 5 euro.

The pestana range of courses are not bad - their are better, but definitely the value route

Mark1751

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Recently went to Portugal and went north of Lisbon to Óbidos and stayed at Praia D’el Rey and played there and Royal Óbidos. Also another course connected call West Cliffs but we didn’t play there. Had a couple early tee times which are nicer than a early afternoon one.

Not a huge amount to do in the evenings but there are some local restaurants outside of the complex, both course were lovely and very playable to most levels, and the hotel was really nice.

Try the usual places to book and play them of each other for best prices.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

What courses did you play?

I've just taken advantage of an offer from those at YGT and managed to get flights car hire and 3 nights at Gramacho (no breakfast) for 225 each. Whats the resort like to saty on over night? Quiet?

Open to all, would you take your clubs or just hire out there? Seems you can get decent sets for the 4 days for less than the cost (and hassle) of taking your own.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

The town of Silves is just down the road. Me and the wife go there every year and know the place inside out. I can provide all info about the place. Loads of places to eat. Three bars on the front. One usually has music on.