'Pooter help needed

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sounds stoopid to those who know how, and I'm sure it's very simples.

But how do I get stuff from this here lappy, to that there lappy ?

Basically, I've been having to use my personal lappy for work all this month, and I've set it up how I want it, with loads of new folders all over my desktop, so I know where to find stuff. There are about 60 odd folders in total.

What's the easiest way of getting it all over to the actual work lappy that they gave me on Friday ?

I'm assuming there can be some kind of USB to USB connection, then I just say, 'Izzy Wizzy, Let's get all you stuff over there then, please' and it all wanders over to it's new home.

Or is it even more complex than that ?

:D

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If you have Wifi, network them and drag from one shared folder to another. I'm wireless, if that's what you mean :D

Or burn to DVD on one and transfer to t'other. That sounds more complex than I want to, given that I don't have any dvds

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you quite understand how computer stupid I actually am.

If I knew how to 'network' and 'drag from one folder to another' i'd give it a go, but I need simple, slow, basic, monosyllabic, ( did I say simple ) instructions.

To me, 'dragging' sounds like you're doing it all on one computer. How does it end up on the other one ?

I've just tried putting an old hoola hoop between the two and shouting 'G'wan then..... JUMP !' which used to work for my old puppy. No joy for laptops, tho'.

:(

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take it to sumbudy hoo isnae so stoopit wae them then. Thay wull take some shillins aff yae but is wurth it.

Anyone you know in Sussex that works on a Sunday and isn't out playing golf with Smiffy ? Oh, and I've got until about 1.30 to get it done, coz of the Mrs and her shopping.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
have you got a memory stick?

The Mrs has got one, but she reckons it can only get three assignments on it from when she was at college, and I've got a lot more stuff than that to transfer.

If I can't get a straight 'lappy to 'lappy way of doing it, I'll have to try that, even if it takes all night.

Not that I actually have any idea what to do with it, but I bet you stick it in, wibble it about a bit, wop it out, shove it in the other one, then wobble it backwards and forwards until it's given you all everything it's got.

Then do it all over again.

Sounds like it's a pretty good life to be a memory stick :eek:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
have you got an sd card in your camera and an adaptor to download to the pc? - it's only another form of memory

or buy yourself a memory stick while you're out shopping.

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
have you got an sd card in your camera and an adaptor to download to the pc? - it's only another form of memory

If I use a memory stick, is it as simple as dragging folders individually from the desktop to it, and then dowloading it to the desktop the other side?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Clive,

Why didn't you just go out with Smiffy and JustOne instead of getting yourself wound up in knots. :D :p

Although, I do know how ya feel, cos I'm just as computer, "Stoopid" as you are, probably even more so :eek:

Hope you get it sorted, but just so you know, DON'T ASK ME!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Golfmmad.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site

If I use a memory stick, is it as simple as dragging folders individually from the desktop to it, and then dowloading it to the desktop the other side?

yes, pretty much. Open it on the desktop then drag or paste to it.
the only issue you may have is if your work laptop has restrictions on what you can download to/from - your IT gurus will have set this if it is the case.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could buy a Tornado it plugs into both usb's and drag and drop onto the new lappy in minutes. They are not too expensive but invaluable when transferring files from one to another.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have Wifi, network them and drag from one shared folder to another. I'm wireless, if that's what you mean :D

Or burn to DVD on one and transfer to t'other. That sounds more complex than I want to, given that I don't have any dvds

Thanks for the reply, but I don't think you quite understand how computer stupid I actually am.

If I knew how to 'network' and 'drag from one folder to another' i'd give it a go, but I need simple, slow, basic, monosyllabic, ( did I say simple ) instructions.

To me, 'dragging' sounds like you're doing it all on one computer. How does it end up on the other one ?

I've just tried putting an old hoola hoop between the two and shouting 'G'wan then..... JUMP !' which used to work for my old puppy. No joy for laptops, tho'.

I use Macs now and networking is very easy on them, but I recall it not being too difficult on PCs either.

Networking is where you allow one computers files to be seen on another, because they are connected (networked) using a wireless or wired connection. Then you drag files onto your own computer literally by clicking on the file you want on the other one and using your mouse to move it to yours.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can't you email them to your work email, then save them on your new lappy and create a shortcut back to your desktop?

Bit laborious but if you haven't got a USB it would work.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
My opinion is don't mess around. Buy an external hard drive.
If you have mega-gigs of stuff it'll take forever on a usb stick and doing them over a wi-fi network, whilst possible, might include the dreaded "permissions" (file sharing) which can play hard-ball.

For not-so-much cash

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160906

copy the entire contents of your hard drive (documents, music + video) to a portable hard drive. Some even come with a little software program that will save new stuff on top of an initial full copy.

It makes sense on two levels. 1) copying stuff to another computer will be easy and 2) any sane person wanting to protect work/documents should back up on another drive anyway.

- - - - -

I have a Maxtor 500gb drive which when plugged in backs up everything to the folder of the computer I'm backing up.
Everything on my laptop/desktop and work PC is saved on this. Irreplaceable files (music projects mostly) are periodically burned to DVD as well.

- - - - -

For your purposes using wired network (via ethernet cable) would be laborious at best.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Dunno any more about a PC, but this is a piece of pi*s on a Mac, wired, wireless, whatever.

Connect to the other one, drag selected documents into shared folder. Bob is then your mother's brother. When my wife swapped to Mac, that is how she moved her folders, music and email.

Using an external hard drive is also an idea, and I assume most sensible people already have one for back-up. I just added a nice Toshiba 1.5TB for movies and backups.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Je Suis une Engineer D'Computer

Agree with RG Dave

buy an external hard drive, drag your documents, desktop, contacts, favorites etc over to it,
Plug said hard drive into your new PC and do the reverse,

PM me if you need any step by step help, (Dont worry im used to numpties) :)

You should always have a backup of your stuff "off Computer", so you can use the external hard drive to back up all your stuff regularly,

You know it makes sense

Fragger