Poor scores in senior qualifiers!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
So why not have age divisions for for the people whos handicap is going the other way
Reason already explained in post #37. Except for some strange reason in Scotland, we now have ESR's to catch rapid improvers, and as from next year reviews for players who miss buffer 7 times in a row. Will these be called an ESI?

D

Deleted member 15344

Reason already explained in post #37. Except for some strange reason in Scotland, we now have ESR's to catch rapid improvers, and as from next year reviews for players who miss buffer 7 times in a row. Will these be called an ESI?

You have already been told there will ESi next year

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not being part of the handicapping committee, I have no idea of how many players were recommended for a handicap adjustment. I can only report the final results, as published!
So there is a system in place already, that is probably working as expected.

Nothing wrong with the current system if it could be made a bit more responsive to changes in form! :mmm:
again, the current system is in place for annual review, and now the new system for midseason adjustments too.

So maybe I've missed the point, but what is the point your trying to get across?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't the whole idea of the golf handicapping system that anybody can play with an equal chance of winning? If the system works properly, there should be no need for age divisions

some of the older players do not play in qualifiers because they feel they have no chance of winning,

If the older players dont play in comps because they feel they have no chance of winning, then the h/cap system clearly isnt working for them.

So I ask again, why not have two divisions Up to 64 and 65 and above, that way they will be playing against others in the same boat and will have a chance of winning.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If the older players dont play in comps because they feel they have no chance of winning, then the h/cap system clearly isnt working for them.

So I ask again, why not have two divisions Up to 64 and 65 and above, that way they will be playing against others in the same boat and will have a chance of winning.

Again, if the handicapping system worked correctly, age divisions should not be necessary for handicapped competitions.

D

Deleted member 15344

Again, if the handicapping system worked correctly, age divisions should not be necessary for handicapped competitions.
The Handicap system works perfectly well

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
How many of those were during the 'real' season - April/May through now?

Since April, 4 senior qualifiers out of 11 have been R/O, often on quite nice days when you wouldn't think there would be a problem with the conditions, and the course has been in good shape throughout the year. One other comp was close to being R/O, with a CSS of 74 (SSS 71) and nobody breaking par (72).

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Since April, 4 senior qualifiers out of 11 have been R/O, often on quite nice days when you wouldn't think there would be a problem with the conditions, and the course has been in good shape throughout the year. One other comp was close to being R/O, with a CSS of 74 (SSS 71) and nobody breaking par (72).

That's more the figures that I expected - and rather more as LpP posted that the soft ground exaggerates Seniors 'weakness' - lack of length.

I'd strongly suggest that you consider playing your Seniors off the Yellows! While the reduced SSS is meant to compensate, it's for an 'average' field - which your (and anywhere else's) Seniors are not!

Btw. You mentioned that you were playing a match so couldn't enter the medal. Was this an individual one? Or an inter-club one? If you remove those players that play (and are generally competitive in) inter-club matches from any (Seniors) Medal, then it's quite possible that the residue will score relatively badly - quite possibly generating an R/O CSS! Basically that distorts 'the field' even more!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
That's more the figures that I expected - and rather more as LpP posted that the soft ground exaggerates Seniors 'weakness' - lack of length.

I'd strongly suggest that you consider playing your Seniors off the Yellows! While the reduced SSS is meant to compensate, it's for an 'average' field - which your (and anywhere else's) Seniors are not!

Btw. You mentioned that you were playing a match so couldn't enter the medal. Was this an individual one? Or an inter-club one? If you remove those players that play (and are generally competitive in) inter-club matches from any (Seniors) Medal, then it's quite possible that the residue will score relatively badly - quite possibly generating an R/O CSS! Basically that distorts 'the field' even more!

I think you are rather missing the point. Some golfers are stronger and better than others, which is what the handicapping system is supposed to compensate for. Our club has a policy of playing senior qualifiers off the white tees to keep senior golfers' handicaps in line with the general membership. The non-qualifying fun competitions are played off the yellows. If you played Senior qualifiers off the yellow tees, the players would tend to have even lower handicaps, notwithstanding the reduced SSS, and senior golfers would be even less competitive in general competitions!

I was playing in a seniors interclub match with teams of 12, so the numbers playing in this particular medal would have been reduced. The team is made up of those who volunteer to play and they are generally of all handicaps and representative of the seniors as a whole. We try to avoid playing matches on the same day as qualifiers, but on this occasion it was unavoidable due to fixture clashes.

I think that 4 'Reductions Only' comps out of 11 in the Spring/Summer period is quite a lot. I would be surprised if there was more than 1 in the general club comps, although I haven't checked this.

Last edited: