Poll: what is the most valuable club in your bag?

What is the most valuable club in your bag?

• Driver

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Fairway wood

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Hybrid

• 3-9 iron (specify below)

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Pitching wedge

• Sand/lob wedge

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • putter

Votes: 39 33.6%

• Total voters

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My 7 iron is easily the shot saver in my bag. I hit it clean everytime whether my tee shots, full fairway approach or even a little chip to the green. I think it is the length of the club that makes it work. It feels nicest & most comfortable at address.

Edit: Whoops! Just realised that this is "monetary" valuable not "playing" valuable.

As they are a package set they all cost the same I guess......

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My 7 iron is easily the shot saver in my bag. I hit it clean everytime whether my tee shots, full fairway approach or even a little chip to the green. I think it is the length of the club that makes it work. It feels nicest & most comfortable at address.

Edit: Whoops! Just realised that this is "monetary" valuable not "playing" valuable.

As they are a package set they all cost the same I guess......

I don't think it's monetary is it? - that's surely a pointless survey - or maybe it is intended to find out what club you are willing to spend most on. But then surely that's always going to be either putter or driver and only if we buy new or current model clubs?

drew83

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's monetary is it? - that's surely a pointless survey - or maybe it is intended to find out what club you are willing to spend most on. But then surely that's always going to be either putter or driver and only if we buy new or current model clubs?

I just read back through some of the other posts & people were talking monetary....ah well. My 7iron is my go to club, & they all cost about £16 each......

shortstuff

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a bit surprised that the putter isn't the most valuable club for us all - for surely it is the one club that loss of would cause us most problems. Yes I can putt with my three iron - but I wouldn't bet on taking less than 36 putts in a round. I have alternatives for every shot I play - and for my chosen shot there will be a club I would prefer to use - but it either wouldn't be the only club I could use - or I'd choose a different option. But not really for putting.

It depends how you look at it. If the putter was removed from the bag I would be wrecked. If it was replaced with another brand I would probably still be ok. If the driver was removed or replaced I would be ok using my 3W. If my 55 degree wedge was removed I would have major problems but could get by.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
It depends how you look at it. If the putter was removed from the bag I would be wrecked. If it was replaced with another brand I would probably still be ok. If the driver was removed or replaced I would be ok using my 3W. If my 55 degree wedge was removed I would have major problems but could get by.

I'm with you on this - how I see it.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I took it literally in the poll too....doh!

However, in terms of value to my game I'd still stick with driver. I have my favourite putter but believe I'd still putt OK with anything. The clubs between putter and driver aren't used enough to merit high value (can still score in a 5 club comp!) but being confident and consistent on the tee sets up a good round. I certainly couldn't just pick up any driver and drive well in the same way I could use any putter and do OK.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I took it literally in the poll too....doh!

However, in terms of value to my game I'd still stick with driver. I have my favourite putter but believe I'd still putt OK with anything. The clubs between putter and driver aren't used enough to merit high value (can still score in a 5 club comp!) but being confident and consistent on the tee sets up a good round. I certainly couldn't just pick up any driver and drive well in the same way I could use any putter and do OK.

Something can cost you a lot of money and can end up being totally worthless to you; something might cost you almost nothing or be free - and be completely invaluable to you. As in life as in golf bats.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Putter - because I use it at least once per hole.

If you mean 'cost' then the Driver is most expensive in my bag ~£350 closely followed by the putter at £320!

golfgod1ab

Medal Winner
Visit site
Must be the Putter, you use it more than any other club, you change it more than any other club and curse it more than any other club!

Ads749r

Head Pro
Visit site
By far its my 7 iron. i can rely on it on a fairway of a tee and is my go to club when im just off the greens
Your savage with that 7 iron. We ever play battle golf that's the first club I'm taking off you.

at the moment I would say driver is my most valuable club as that gets me into positions were I can then hit wedge into the green and I'm pretty accurate (at the moment) with wedges.

niwintz

Hacker
Visit site
It's my 5W played from so many fairway and rough positions around the course. I am not the longest hitter so get plenty of use from it, I also normally strike it really well and it gets me back into good positions.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In monetary terms it would be my 3 wood as that was bought new and both my driver and putter were sourced from the for sale section on here at knock-down prices.

In terms of value to me on the course I would say the 52 deg Vokey as it's my club of choice from 110 yards out, unless I have to avoid an obstacle of some sort, overhanging tree's or finding myself having to get up and down quickly over a bunker say.