Poll: Should Trump’s course be stripped of the PGA?

Should Trump’s course be stripped of the PGA next year?

• Yes

Votes: 86 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 21.1%

• Total voters

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Only 4 Opens...it’s hardly been an R&A favourite over the years

Also, as IanM says, they haven’t actually mentioned Trump in their wording. In theory it could include any owners (but we know who they mean)

I'd say they were equally worried about gangs of loons (of any political hue) turning up to disrupt/demonstrate whatever!! And by loons I mean folk wanting to cause trouble, without me evaluating their position!

sunshine

Visit site
I'd say they were equally worried about gangs of loons (of any political hue) turning up to disrupt/demonstrate whatever!! And by loons I mean folk wanting to cause trouble, without me evaluating their position!

I agree. I expect the R&A is more worried about Trump protesters than Trump himself.

sunshine

Visit site
i'd imagine something will have to give, the people who put up the money for Turnberry won't leave things as they are for long, haemorrhaging money and not having an open.. can't go on for ever??

Has it been struggling for a long time? It would be interesting to know how well it has been doing to compared with Gleneagles for example.

I guess in the current environment, no hotel is making any money.

sunshine

Visit site
Only 4 Opens...it’s hardly been an R&A favourite over the years

Also, as IanM says, they haven’t actually mentioned Trump in their wording. In theory it could include any owners (but we know who they mean)

Did a bit of research: Turns out that Turnberry only became a championship quality course after post-WW2 renovations in the 1950s. So it was establishing its reputation in the 60s, got its first Open in the 70s, then hosted an Open a decade in the 80s, 90s, 00s. That's about average isn't it? Would have hosted an Open in the last couple of years if it wasn't for Trump.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
i'd imagine something will have to give, the people who put up the money for Turnberry won't leave things as they are for long, haemorrhaging money and not having an open.. can't go on for ever??
There was me thinking that it was the owner who put all the money up for the revamp.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Has it been struggling for a long time? It would be interesting to know how well it has been doing to compared with Gleneagles for example.

the prev owners gutted the hotel and referbed it about 10 years ago and i don't think it was doing that well. he came along and did it again and the course not cheap i'd imagine, M&E charged us £1 million to do 3 holes and change some bunkers so the course would have been a lot by those sums

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site

I know nothing about the hotel.

From a golf perspective, Trump personally had a meeting with all members, who had huge reservations when he came in. He stated that anyone who wanted to leave after the work had been completed would receive their full joining fee and that years membership back. Less than a handful left......

The members I know say it has improved no end. I've only been before he came in, and it was starting to fall apart

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Can the mods please explain to a thicko like me why this thread is not political

I would have to agree, this whole thread goes completely against the no politics rule. I post on the AV forums which I'd say are much busier than here and we manage to talk Brexit etc.

I feel the forum made a mistake with the ban and should have dealt with the posters instead, as a long time lurker it's very clear who the trouble makers are, the whole place is just a little too cosy, which to be fair is what puts me and others off joining and getting more involved.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would have to agree, this whole thread goes completely against the no politics rule. I post on the AV forums which I'd say are much busier than here and we manage to talk Brexit etc.

I feel the forum made a mistake with the ban and should have dealt with the posters instead, as a long time lurker it's very clear who the trouble makers are, the whole place is just a little too cosy, which to be fair is what puts me and others off joining and getting more involved.
It’s a golf forum though.
Politics just bring out the worst in otherwise nice people.
But censorship isn’t right either just don’t get involved if you don’t like it.

sunshine

Visit site
I know nothing about the hotel.

From a golf perspective, Trump personally had a meeting with all members, who had huge reservations when he came in. He stated that anyone who wanted to leave after the work had been completed would receive their full joining fee and that years membership back. Less than a handful left......

The members I know say it has improved no end. I've only been before he came in, and it was starting to fall apart

Interesting.

I'm surprised there are many members, as a resort venue I would have thought that they were more focused on visitors.

I spoke with someone a couple of years ago who had played the refurbished course, and he couldn't praise the course and the hotel enough. That meant quite a lot to me as he is a guy who is always off playing the top courses in the UK and abroad.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Be interested to see how long he keeps most of them, once his loans have been called

Watching the news last night and there was a piece that pricked my ears. Trump has a place in Florida called Mar a Lago I think
( Lake and sea). Anyway it has special status that if you go into debt/ bankrupt. Any property’s or assets on Mar a Lago cannot be seized. Furthermore it went onto say that most of the richest people that live on Trumps island are contributors to his “ beliefs” ??