Poll: Should Trump’s course be stripped of the PGA?

Should Trump’s course be stripped of the PGA next year?

• Yes

Votes: 86 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 21.1%

• Total voters

sunshine

Visit site
Keeping the reply free of politics....

errr.... you can't reply on this thread and avoid politics!

By the way, I totally agree with you.

Also agree with Kaz's point about Saudi and China. Women aren't allowed to play golf in Saudi unless they have permission from their father or husband. But the LET thought it was a good idea to go there.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

By the way, I totally agree with you.

Also agree with Kaz's point about Saudi and China. Women aren't allowed to play golf in Saudi unless they have permission from their father or husband. But the LET thought it was a good idea to go there.

I can see the LET position on both money and if they think it will continue to encourage change on how women are perceived and the junior golf clinics they put on with girls. That's only though if you see it in isolation around the treatment of women, rather than wider stuff with Saudi which would mean it feels better to stay clear of them.

I appreciate everyone has their own political view, but Jack Nicklaus statement to encourage people to support and vote Trump isn't looking great currently and could be a challenge to have his views on the decision to move course location e.g. on broadcast. I expect the majority of US golfers are Republican so may not be seen as even a thing in the US.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk

Thought I did - I referred only to Brand Management without any appraisal of the rights and wrongs of the origins of the adverse publicity or the parties involved. :)

Scots folk on here taught me about the wonderful term "whattabootery!" The LET going to Saudi bemused me on moral grounds, but clearly didn't on monetary ones! :) Maybe that's religious debate, rather than politics! Maybe that needs banning too! (the debate I mean)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
China's persecution of the uyghurs is way way worse than not allowing WHO into the country. Chuck in a bit of expansionism in the South China Sea, and there isn't a lot to like about them.

Would be interesting to hear Mesut Ozils thoughts and views on the above. ☹️

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trump National in Bedminster has been stripped of staging the PGA next year just days after a large group of Trump supporters illegally stormed the U.S. Capitol in protest of the recent presidential election.

"It has become clear that conducting the PGA Championship at Trump Bedminster would be detrimental to the PGA of America brand and would put at risk the PGA's ability to deliver our many programs and sustain the longevity of our mission."

(Know there are other threads - need a poll to go with it, ta)

It's your forum and your rules but as politics is not to be discussed on the forum, I have no idea why a thread about Trump has been started.

After all, there would be no ban and no discussion if he wasn't the US president...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
It hasn't been removed from Bedminster because he's the president.

It's because he's been orchestrating a fascist coup. Because his supporters stormed the Capitol to prevent the results of a democratic election, which he lost, from being certified. Because those supporters planned to murder the Vice President, the Speaker of the House and other representatives. Because they murdered a police officer.

Apologies for not making myself clear. None of the above events would have occured if Trump was not the sitting US president and had just lost an election that he refuses to accept.

So I don't see how the topic can be discussed without reference to politics which is not supposed to be allowed any more.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Is the European Tour going to take up this mantle and no longer take the tour to certain countries in the Middle East? Thought not.

Dangerous precedent in my opinion and no I'm no Trump supporter, the guy is an obvious loony. That said, he has I think received more votes than any other USA president in living memory...….which although telling you a little bit about the mess America is in, does seem to back up the argument that his opinion on a lot of issues was not exactly unpopular.

sunshine

Visit site
Whether we like it or not, Trump is very popular among golfers in the US. Typical golf club member shares a lot of his views, Nicklaus hasn't exactly seen his popularity plummet in the US after declaring his support for Trump. Against that backdrop, the PGA of America are taking a bold step, fair play to them.

The comment from Slumbers shows what a bunch of chickens the R&A are. They only feel safe to pile on to Trump after everyone else has. They have been asked about the return of Turnberry to the rota many times and always remained elusive. Just like with the removal of Muirfield, they are never prepared to lead from the front and demonstrate principles, they are always playing catch up.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Probably should have closed the comments off, was more interested in the yes/no side of it though obviously there will be comments. Interesting but one not to repeat, maybe a suitable new venue would have been better.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m not a trump fan but I don’t think politics and sport should be in the same sentence.
We need to keep politics out of all sport.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Probably should have closed the comments off, was more interested in the yes/no side of it though obviously there will be comments. Interesting but one not to repeat, maybe a suitable new venue would have been better.

I think the poll without comment is pointless.
Its possible to talk around implications for golf , without taking polical sides.

Eg. An event on this course could present an opportunity for Trump to use it for political purposes, and / or his opponents to riot/demonstrate peacefully... whichever!

No sides taken. No evaluation.

Risk assessment of both potential positions = no thanks. Event moved.:)