Point one back

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hi just asking you guys on handicap.
Played Saturday in medal got point one back for NR.

preffered lies
lots of rain so standing water on greens

Course was unplayable after 9th as the water was 3" deep on some greens so putting no chance.

nowhere to go for relief so picked up and headed back to clubhouse.

Checked hcap this morning to find I had gone up .1 for NR.

Put card in box with course unplayable written on it.

Trying to get down and could do without this .
is this correct I assumed if you can't putt it would not result in a increase to hcap.

Thanks for any advice.

D

Deleted member 15344

If the Comp is declared as a qualifier then it’s point 1 back - preffered lies doesn’t stop it being a qualifier and unless someone closes the course and declares it unplayable then the result will stand.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That IMO is a bit unjust .
the last 12 games walked off as the greens were under water.
I was three over off six after nine with an 8 on my card but had to chip on the greens just to get the ball in the hole.
I could understand if it's just the odd game but 36 players were unable to finish.
There should be a better formula for this scenario.

Thanks for the info.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the correct thing to do was instead of walkingin, to ring someone with the authority to close the course.
If you have water in your underpants you don't go looking for someone to close the course.
all joking aside the course should close itself if you can't putt because of the water you are damaging the course if you stay out.
its supposed to be enjoyable.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst it may seem unfair, 0.1 added to your handicap is not the end of the world. You just got the bad side of the draw and weather. It happens in The Open nearly every year where one half of the draw get wind and rain and the others are in shorts and T shirts. That's golf I'm afraid.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you have water in your underpants you don't go looking for someone to close the course.
all joking aside the course should close itself if you can't putt because of the water you are damaging the course if you stay out.
its supposed to be enjoyable.

If the person running the comp did not know the course was unplayable, then he would have processed your card in good faith, by getting the course closed that would mean you genuinely could not complete your round.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Whilst it may seem unfair, 0.1 added to your handicap is not the end of the world. You just got the bad side of the draw and weather. It happens in The Open nearly every year where one half of the draw get wind and rain and the others are in shorts and T shirts. That's golf I'm afraid.
Yes get that
But in the open they would complete their round today , I would do that today but this option is not open to me.

There has been talk of hcap adjustments over nine holes , why can't mine be assessed over the nine I played as the css was two over 74 , I was well in that at the time.

Worked hard this year to get down this is a bit of a kick.
This will put me off playing comps at this time of year.

Greens slit and hollow timed
preffered lies
Tees forward.

Just don't think it should be a Q comp with these .
But as you say not the end of the world but I hate .1s

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If the person running the comp did not know the course was unplayable, then he would have processed your card in good faith, by getting the course closed that would mean you genuinely could not complete your round.
46 players walked in some after only six holes think that should have given him a clue .
we wrote on our cards greens flooded , course unplayable.
Just think .1 is not right if you can't complete your round.

If you are injured or taken ill you have your case looked at what's the difference here.
Its not just a couple of games it's almost a third of the field.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Did it not cross your mind to check the weather forecast before entering the competition?

D

Deleted member 15344

If you carried on and played under your HC would you then expect the HC cut ?

At clubs only certain people are able to declare a Comp a Non Q or if the course is closed. If players believe the course is unplayable then they seek out those people and explain the issue - then those people can make the judgement , I along with our golf director have had to make the decision a few times.

Just walking off and scribbling over the scorecard isn’t the way to do it.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had the opposite of this earlier in the year. I came in 4 under handicap and was looking for a nice little cut. About the last third couldn't finish due to heavy rain and greens flooding, so the competition committee cancelled the comp. I didn't get my cut so was just as annoyed as you..... but for the opposite reason.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had the opposite of this earlier in the year. I came in 4 under handicap and was looking for a nice little cut. About the last third couldn't finish due to heavy rain and greens flooding, so the competition committee cancelled the comp. I didn't get my cut so was just as annoyed as you..... but for the opposite reason.

I haven't got the CONGU manual to hand, but I thought that, in the event of a competition being abandoned, any completed rounds would be assessed against SSS.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I haven't got the CONGU manual to hand, but I thought that, in the event of a competition being abandoned, any completed rounds would be assessed against SSS.

Be interesting to see if there is something in the manual. I did have a look when it happened but couldn't find anything relevant.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site

Found it, looks like I should of had a cut.

18.7 If a Qualifying Competition is abandoned for any valid reason, the Competition Scratch
Score shall be regarded as equal to the Standard Scratch Score and players returning
Nett Differentials of less than zero shall have their Exact Handicaps reduced to the extent
dictated by the Nett Differential. A Nett Differential of zero or above shall not result in a
handicap increase.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
92 out of 138 completed as I said it was the last third of the field who could not finish.
weather was OK early but heavy rain flooded the greens.

these things happen simple as, if you had gotten round and shot the lights out only for it to be abandoned you wouldn't be happy either. just one of those things.

last week my mate and i played in the Sunday stableford in horrendous conditions 40mph wind and heavy rain. no one that went out before lunch time had a decent score and computer was saying RO.. afternoon stopped raining and wind dissipated. CSS went down to 2 over SSS, so went up 01.. thems the breaks

D

Deleted member 15344

Any scores completed in a qualifier must be used towards HC even if the competitions is abandoned at any stage - you should have got your Cut

The Comp should have been closed with all the completed scores

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Found it, looks like I should of had a cut.

18.7 If a Qualifying Competition is abandoned for any valid reason, the Competition Scratch
Score shall be regarded as equal to the Standard Scratch Score and players returning
Nett Differentials of less than zero shall have their Exact Handicaps reduced to the extent
dictated by the Nett Differential. A Nett Differential of zero or above shall not result in a
handicap increase.

I'm guessing it's more common that some people think. I've given up moaning to my handicap committee/secretary as they did the above several times this season i.e. abandoned comps and didn't apply cuts as well as making several mistakes re. applying cuts from away comps. I've also missed away comp results being applied altogether, but as they don't listen and I have a life outside of golf, I just shrug my shoulders and carry on.