Point one back

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm guessing it's more common that some people think. I've given up moaning to my handicap committee/secretary as they did the above several times this season i.e. abandoned comps and didn't apply cuts as well as making several mistakes re. applying cuts from away comps. I've also missed away comp results being applied altogether, but as they don't listen and I have a life outside of golf, I just shrug my shoulders and carry on.

It gets a bit like that. I had a problem with them about all bunkers being GUR.... I gave up in the end.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did it not cross your mind to check the weather forecast before entering the competition?
What sort of comment is that?
Sign in sheet is up two weeks before comp so don't have Michael Fish on speed dial.
Only got in because someone dropped out last min.

But yes I did check and it was rain in morning but fine later.

But as usual they got it wrong again!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you carried on and played under your HC would you then expect the HC cut ?

At clubs only certain people are able to declare a Comp a Non Q or if the course is closed. If players believe the course is unplayable then they seek out those people and explain the issue - then those people can make the judgement , I along with our golf director have had to make the decision a few times.

Just walking off and scribbling over the scorecard isn’t the way to do it.
Head green keeper off two was in the game behind us he came off at nine as well.

He agreed the course should be closed, We told the pro, and Captain who was in the bar.

but there's nobody to take the decision everyone shrugs their shoulders and says it's not my problem.

D

Deleted Member 1156

What sort of comment is that?
Sign in sheet is up two weeks before comp so don't have Michael Fish on speed dial.
Only got in because someone dropped out last min.

But yes I did check and it was rain in morning but fine later.

But as usual they got it wrong again!

It's a serious question. If I'm trying to get my handicap down then I'd check the forecast before going out and decide if I'm going to enter the competition or just have a social knock. If the weather was bad enough to make the course unplayable then I'm sure the forecast would have shown rain at the very least.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think most people would expect a comp to be deemed Non Qualifying at least if conditions got that bad and the last third couldn't complete.... I'd be ringing the Sec this morning and asking what's what.
Yes I have done.

Not expecting anything to be done should be reduction only so played well get your cut.
Cant finish nothing it's an 18 hole game.

They have just used the computer and all NRs are deemed .1 .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a serious question. If I'm trying to get my handicap down then I'd check the forecast before going out and decide if I'm going to enter the competition or just have a social knock. If the weather was bad enough to make the course unplayable then I'm sure the forecast would have shown rain at the very least.
It doesn't bother me playing in the rain!
But when the greens are like paddling pools that's a bit different.

did u read the last bit they got it wrong!

D

Deleted member 15344

Yes I have done.

Not expecting anything to be done should be reduction only so played well get your cut.
Cant finish nothing it's an 18 hole game.

They have just used the computer and all NRs are deemed .1 .

They can’t deem the comp “reductions only “

Using the computer for the scores is the correct way for all qualifying scores to be finalised to ensure the CSS is correctly worked out.

If your head greenkeeper says the course should be closed then why didn’t he do it ? Or the Pro or the captain ?

Who in the club has the authority to close the course then they can ensure the Comp Sec has the right information - basic communication that should be in place at clubs.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They can’t deem the comp “reductions only “

Using the computer for the scores is the correct way for all qualifying scores to be finalised to ensure the CSS is correctly worked out.

If your head greenkeeper says the course should be closed then why didn’t he do it ? Or the Pro or the captain ?

Who in the club has the authority to close the course then they can ensure the Comp Sec has the right information - basic communication that should be in place at clubs.
completly agree with this GK should have closed course .
But he was last game out so no players behind him.
Whos going to go and tell all the players on the back nine nowhere to be seen as most stopped before or at the ninth.

There must be a written down formula for this scenario .

Anyone know ?

If the greens are flooded halfway through the comp what's the correct procedure?

Thats all I want to know!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Happened to us this summer on the 11th.

We just called it a day and went home. Took the 0.1 as a rub of the green. It was just a real heavy flash shower. We were on a bad hole for gathering water on the green.

There were boys teeing off on the first as we walked to our cars. Trying to chip onto the 11th and subsequently trying to putt to a hole completely full of water made a mockery of the situation.

We had discussed that we possibly could have gone to the clubhouse and waited for the course to be playable but we decided we were not on the tour and took it on the chin.

D

Deleted member 15344

completly agree with this GK should have closed course .
But he was last game out so no players behind him.
Whos going to go and tell all the players on the back nine nowhere to be seen as most stopped before or at the ninth.

There must be a written down formula for this scenario .

Anyone know ?

If the greens are flooded halfway through the comp what's the correct procedure?

Thats all I want to know!

There is nothing written down - it’s down to the course and comp management - if the course is unplayable then they should close the course the Comp is then abandoned at that point with all completed scores processed. That’s normally done by a Comp Committee of the day - for us it the Pro , greenstaff and then one of the Comp Committee but the first two are the ones that close the course then tell me what time it was closed etc

And how do you tell your players the course is closed when lightening happens or any other reason for it closing ?

At the end of the day it appears your club doesn’t have a process in place but the Comp was closed properly and the point 1 is correct

D

Deleted member 23270

It doesn't bother me playing in the rain!
But when the greens are like paddling pools that's a bit different.

did u read the last bit they got it wrong!

Blimey mate you need to start checking a different weather forecast. From no rain to enough to make the course unplayable, that's not wrong that's totally incompetent! Which forecast did you check?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is nothing written down - it’s down to the course and comp management - if the course is unplayable then they should close the course the Comp is then abandoned at that point with all completed scores processed. That’s normally done by a Comp Committee of the day - for us it the Pro , greenstaff and then one of the Comp Committee but the first two are the ones that close the course then tell me what time it was closed etc

And how do you tell your players the course is closed when lightening happens or any other reason for it closing ?

At the end of the day it appears your club doesn’t have a process in place but the Comp was closed properly and the point 1 is correct
You don't need anyone to tell you there's lightning unles you are a complete numpty.

There are so many rules in golf it's hard to believe there isn't one for this.

Thanks for your input.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blimey mate you need to start checking a different weather forecast. From no rain to enough to make the course unplayable, that's not wrong that's totally incompetent! Which forecast did you check?
News at ten Friday.
It just came later than they said .
Im no expert but think they guess a lot.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
News at ten Friday.
It just came later than they said .
Im no expert but think they guess a lot.

A lot of the weather forecast is based purely on historical data, the rest is a wet finger in the air i reckon, or they just look at the rubbish app on their iPhone :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of the weather forecast is based purely on historical data, the rest is a wet finger in the air i reckon, or they just look at the rubbish app on their iPhone :)
Had one earlier in the year playoff for a major but forecast was bad .
We cancelled it and it turned out a lovely day.
He got injured in a footy match and we still have not played.
i take forecasts with a pinch of salt.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Happened to us this summer on the 11th.

We just called it a day and went home. Took the 0.1 as a rub of the green. It was just a real heavy flash shower. We were on a bad hole for gathering water on the green.

There were boys teeing off on the first as we walked to our cars. Trying to chip onto the 11th and subsequently trying to putt to a hole completely full of water made a mockery of the situation.

We had discussed that we possibly could have gone to the clubhouse and waited for the course to be playable but we decided we were not on the tour and took it on the chin.
we teed off 2.30pm it's dark at 6.30ish so could not wait as we would not get it in.
Just one of them things I know but .1 still annoys.