Please tell me I haven't made this up.....tree roots

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I was going from this by Spawn, in his post:-

On my local course theirs 3 holes that have trees with exposed roots, Local rule say its free relief id be amazed if other clubs didn't do the same, Ive seen people really hurt there wrists.
Even if it wasn't a local rule to free relief id still do it anyway no way I'm risking my wrists or future playing

If that really is a Local Rule, then that's the rules you must play at that course - at least for all play covered by the LRs on the card! It matters not whether the LR is 'illegal' or not! However, the illegality of the LR should be pointed out to the appropriate (club) authorities!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Earlier in the year I was playing in a comp, and on one hole my ball was in a very bad lie nestled up against a tree root - hit straight down the middle on our 4th, which slopes away right to the tree line, a firm bounce on hard ground was enough to put it down there. I chose to play it, only for the ball to fly straight up vertically and smash me in the eye socket, missing my only good eye by a few millimetres, literally. A nasty, painful and very lucky lesson learned very close to losing the eye, and would be bliind now. In future comps, if I'm in a similar situation, I will definately take a penalty drop. However, in casual games with family or friends (not swindles and such) we have all agreed the option to move it away from the roots without penalty on the grounds of safety.