Please tell me I haven't made this up.....tree roots

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I don't think you should get any relief. we have to take the conditions into consideration when we are hitting out of bushes or trees.

yes,sometimes these big trees are actually on the fairway. ive played plenty of courses like this. there is always somewhere else to hit the ball. if I have put it under a tree like this then I will have to "play it as it lies". the oldest rule in golf? :mmm:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Besides, I havent seen anywhere on this thread that says the roots were in closely mown areas?

can you point to where it's posted that they weren't?

as to the other matter, I'm simply suggesting that you were in danger of blowing things out of proportion - I chose not to point out the obvious errors in your post but as you seem to want to engage...... the Rules actually require you to observe LR's, and you would not be in breach of the rules to do so; quite the opposite in fact. So you wouldn't be DQ'd for signing for a wrong score at all; are you out to create some new myths?
Yes, CONGU isn't hapy about competitions that aren't played to the real rules, and the status of members handicaps would be at risk and CONGU might rule that all handicaps at that club are invalid - but they might not.
Yes it should be resolved, as should every clubs inapropriate LRs in this context.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't think you should get any relief. we have to take the conditions into consideration when we are hitting out of bushes or trees.

yes,sometimes these big trees are actually on the fairway. ive played plenty of courses like this. there is always somewhere else to hit the ball. if I have put it under a tree like this then I will have to "play it as it lies". the oldest rule in golf? :mmm:

To be fair,a lot of rules in golf are absolutely ridiculous,thankfully the powers that be are seeing sense and ammending some of the more silly ones.
I abide by the rules because i have to,and not because i agree with them all.I cannot see why anybody should be penalised for hitting the fairway,yes you may be the wrong side and have a trickier line into the green,but to have to penalise yourself to avoid injury makes no sense and isn't 'fair'.If roots or any other obstacle are on/under the fairway,then they should be removed or a local rule implemented imo.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bit confused about the closely mown area bit as it isn't mentioned in Decision 33-8/8. Am I missing something?

Anyway, a question.

I played a course recently that had trees in the middle of a couple of fairways. The object of the drive on those holes is clearly to try to go either side of the tree, as you would if it was a pond. That's the golfing test if you like, the bit where the skill comes in. If I fail that test and hit directly behind the tree but there may be interference from visible or hidden roots, should I be allowed to drop away to the side without penalty and give mysef a shot to the green that my drive didn't deserve?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bit confused about the closely mown area bit as it isn't mentioned in Decision 33-8/8. Am I missing something?

Anyway, a question.

I played a course recently that had trees in the middle of a couple of fairways. The object of the drive on those holes is clearly to try to go either side of the tree, as you would if it was a pond. That's the golfing test if you like, the bit where the skill comes in. If I fail that test and hit directly behind the tree but there may be interference from visible or hidden roots, should I be allowed to drop away to the side without penalty and give mysef a shot to the green that my drive didn't deserve?

I agree completely ! :thup:

mottram hall (chester) , moyola park (n.ireland) are two courses that have big trees in the middle of the fairway with exposed roots.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
... the Rules actually require you to observe LR's, and you would not be in breach of the rules to do so; quite the opposite in fact. So you wouldn't be DQ'd for signing for a wrong score at all; are you out to create some new myths?
Yes, CONGU isn't hapy about competitions that aren't played to the real rules, and the status of members handicaps would be at risk and CONGU might rule that all handicaps at that club are invalid - but they might not.
Yes it should be resolved, as should every clubs inapropriate LRs in this context.

So not all LR's are allowable but you have to follow one even if it breaches a Rule....Interesting...

There doesn't seem to much "control" of clubs and the way they're run. LR's that break rules, SI's not allocated correctly, sometimes seemingly dubious handicap adnustments.....

As to the OP- play it or drop it under penalty, same as if it was in a gorse bush

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
can you point to where it's posted that they weren't?

as to the other matter, I'm simply suggesting that you were in danger of blowing things out of proportion - I chose not to point out the obvious errors in your post but as you seem to want to engage...... the Rules actually require you to observe LR's, and you would not be in breach of the rules to do so; quite the opposite in fact. So you wouldn't be DQ'd for signing for a wrong score at all; are you out to create some new myths?

So if you don't adhere to a local rule you are breaking the rules even if said local rule is against the rules? How very bizarre. Perhaps all local rules should have to be approved by CONGU before they are put in place

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I didn't realize, until reading this thread, that golfers left their brains in the Pro-shop!

Surely if you think you might injure yourself or damage your clubs you can decide to do something about it. A tree is permanent part of the course, take a drop a gt on with it!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I didn't realize, until reading this thread, that golfers left their brains in the Pro-shop!

Surely if you think you might injure yourself or damage your clubs you can decide to do something about it. A tree is permanent part of the course, take a drop a gt on with it!

So if you are allowed free relief, as a local rule, in a certain area of the course and might save you breaking your hand, you wouldn't do it.

Think you need your head testing, fella.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
From an arboricultural point of view, relief from an exposed tree root would make sense. Hitting a tree trunk won't damage anything but your club and possibly your body. Hitting a root could definitely damage it which could have effects on the tree as a whole.

I work in planning and the lenghts we go to in order to protect the trees in any development is huge and a lot of that is to protect the roots.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have an area on our 14th hole thats marked GUR because of tree roots breaking through.

We have an area in the rough down our 10th. Roots are a good 20 feet from tree trunks. Not noticed them before, but very easy for a ball to finish amongst them. They are of course the ones you can see. Hate to think what is just below the surface.:eek: GUR area could save a nasty injury.:thup:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Local Rule - Tree Roots

I was at a handicap meeting tonight, and I brought up the subject of exposed tree roots on our 14/15/16th holes.

Now I'm sure I have played another course were you were allowed free relief if your ball was lying near to exposed tree roots.Maybe it's just certain trees, maybe it's only when they get to a certain age, but these roots can be dangerous, as if your ball lies next to them you could break your hand on the downswing or follow through.

So have you ever played a course where a local rule applies, even if only on certain holes, with regards to exposed tree roots?

Ok, just me then.....:confused:

There is a permissible Local Rule but only for a ball on the 'fairway'.

33-8/8

Local Rule Providing Relief from Tree Roots

Q.May a Committee make a Local Rule providing relief without penalty if a player's stroke is interfered with by exposed tree roots?

A.A Local Rule is authorized only if an abnormal condition exists. Generally, the existence of exposed tree roots is not abnormal. However, if the exposed tree roots are encroaching on to the fairway, a Committee would be authorized to make a Local Rule providing relief under Rule 25-1 for interference from exposed tree roots when a ball lies on a closely-mown area. The Committee may restrict relief to interference for the lie of ball and the area of intended swing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
So if you are allowed free relief, as a local rule, in a certain area of the course and might save you breaking your hand, you wouldn't do it.

That's not what he was suggesting at all.

Your ball is on an array of concrete from which no free relief is available - your call on whether to take a drop or not. Your ball is next to a tree stump .... Your ball is next to a tree root ....

Your choice, your call.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's not what he was suggesting at all.

Your ball is on an array of concrete from which no free relief is available - your call on whether to take a drop or not. Your ball is next to a tree stump .... Your ball is next to a tree root ....

Your choice, your call.

Sorry, you've lost me.

He was questioning someone's intelligence, and seemed to suggest that you should take the drop (and I presume, cost yourself a shot), which to me is daft if there is a local rule giving free relief.

As has been shown on the thread, some people arent reading it properly. I have never said that you SHOULD get relief from tree roots, I was asking if it was possible that some courses may have introduced a local rule for relief from tree roots (and it has since been proved that some have), albeit just in close mown areas.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site

A bit sensitive! Have you not heard of sarcasm?

Anyway the Rules do not permit relief from tree roots