Please reccommend me a French lager!

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A few mates and I are getting together for a beer evening. Each person brings a different beer, does a presentation on it and marks are awarded by everyone for various categories/factors. Overall winner hosts the next one at their house.

As the Six Nations is on at the moment, each person has been given a different SN country to bring a beer from. As the title suggests, I've got France.

The only French beer I know is Kronenbourg. Perhaps a bit too well known, so I'd like to go off the beaten track a bit and bring something that people may not have tasted before. Only trouble is, I don't know of any!

To clarify, I'd like to take a proper "clear" lager as that's what I personally like. I don't like these cloudy "craft lagers" or "pale ales" or whatever else they call them. I just want a nice clear lager!

My Googling has mainly brought up pale ales/craft lagers, so I'm a bit stuck. So I'm hoping some of you learned ladies and gents might be able to suggest something! In my presentation I will no doubt effect a comedy French accent, so if I have something to talk about with a bit of interesting history it would help!

Many thanks in advance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
can't remember anything other tha something that was 33 on the label all the supermarkets sold that, in 24 bottle packs.. and Kronenbourg of course

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
You’re going to struggle, the beer scene in France is basically nonexistent especially if you want to get it over here.

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've found one called Meteor which hopefully fits the bill. Anyone tried it?

Attachments

• meteor.jpg
    meteor.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 4

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I am very partial to La Goudale, it's my tipple of choice. I've been bringing it back from France for a good 10 years or more. It's now available from Morrisons, and on offer at the moment (4 bottles for £6)
369308011_0_640x640.jpg

My recommendation, anyways.

http://brasserie-goudale.com/portfolio-item/la-goudale-blonde/?lang=en

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tipple of choice as regards "pression" when I'm over there is 1664 '- but obviously its pretty common in pubs over here.

But I often have Ch'ti Blonde. Dont know if it's available in any supermarkets this side of the channel, but you can probably get it in a decent off licence or or beer merchants.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
can't remember anything other tha something that was 33 on the label all the supermarkets sold that, in 24 bottle packs.. and Kronenbourg of course
There is a huge variety of Kronie beers. We once holiday'd close to the main Kronie brewery in the Alsace and the local supermarket had loads of different lager beers - not just 1664. :) Maybe find them on-line.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is a huge variety of Kronie beers. We once holiday'd close to the main Kronie brewery in the Alsace and the local supermarket had loads of different lager beers - not just 1664. :) Maybe find them on-line.
thanks but i didn't ask and have no interest in "Kronie" Oh i shall not be looking on line either

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I am very partial to La Goudale, it's my tipple of choice. I've been bringing it back from France for a good 10 years or more. It's now available from Morrisons, and on offer at the moment (4 bottles for £6)
369308011_0_640x640.jpg

My recommendation, anyways.

http://brasserie-goudale.com/portfolio-item/la-goudale-blonde/?lang=en

Second that, Morrisons do some great deals on ale and this one is usually in them. It does go down well but is a bit strong though so be careful how many you have.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
La Goudale is mentioned as a Belgium style ipa. Brewed in France. however 4 bottles for £6 at 7.2 percent . Let’s just say that Tash would not get to see the second half of the rugby as I would of passed out.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
La Goudale is mentioned as a Belgium style ipa. Brewed in France. however 4 bottles for £6 at 7.2 percent . Let’s just say that Tash would not get to see the second half of the rugby as I would of passed out.

It is an Abbey style blonde beer ala Leffe , Affligem Grimbergen, but it does pass the French criteria. As for passing out after 4, you need more practice man.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
It is an Abbey style blonde beer ala Leffe , Affligem Grimbergen, but it does pass the French criteria. As for passing out after 4, you need more practice man.
Went out Saturday night ended up on Birra moretti. Would of been happy with 4 pints. Bro in law bought me a 5th. God ahead was a mess thumping headache. I will hold.my hands up. Am a lover not a drinker