PlayMoreGolf Membership

albie999

Visit site
So, I am thinking from April joining the PlayMoreGolf system. The course that I currently belong to, is listed, and due to the amount of times I am able to play (once a week), this seems like a good option, cost-wise, bearing in mind, I do not play that much in the winter

However, just want a couple of questions answered :
1) How do people find the booking. I believe you book through the PlayMoreGolf app, and that then books with the club
2) Is it easy enough to bring guests to the home and away clubs, and how is that charged

Kinda, just want peoples feelings/opinions on PlayMoreGolf ... on paper, it seems good for me, for the amount of times that I can play

HeftyHacker

Visit site
1) varies from club to club. I was a PMG member at Worsley GC (who no longer do it) and the booking wasn't great to be honest. I could book up to 7 days in advance but all other members had 10 days - so all the prime slots were gone, especially at weekends. It also gave me any times where there was a free space, but didn't tell me if there was already a 2ball in that time slot or not. I ended up having to log into the members area of the club website and looking at the tee sheet that way.

2) you generally designate a "home" club and are treated as a member there, albeit with certain restrictions - such as those highlighted above. Therefore you could book a guest in 2 ways, either do it through the app and use your points to pay for it, or ring the pro shop and have them add a guest onto the booking.

Overall, for what I wanted at the time - summer evening golf, occasional Sunday afternoon round - it was ideal.

A little bit naughty but if i was teeing off later on a week night I wouldn't bother booking or using my points as the pro shop was closed and no one would be there to check you in, and because you had a bag tag the casual observer wouldn't pull you up.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I looked at the system and it’s key to identify the times you play and reference against each clubs matrix. I like to play AM on weekends when possible, my course is 12 points at this time so I would only get 12 games Which equates to about 13/14 games a year or £50 a round.

Where it come into its own was if you play weekday afternoons where you could get 50 games which was far better value.

Booking 7 days in advance, at my current course who also offer pmg you’d be teeing off about half 6 at night…. If it wasn’t booked ??

Larry long dog

Visit site
So, I am thinking from April joining the PlayMoreGolf system. The course that I currently belong to, is listed, and due to the amount of times I am able to play (once a week), this seems like a good option, cost-wise, bearing in mind, I do not play that much in the winter

However, just want a couple of questions answered :
1) How do people find the booking. I believe you book through the PlayMoreGolf app, and that then books with the club
2) Is it easy enough to bring guests to the home and away clubs, and how is that charged

Kinda, just want peoples feelings/opinions on PlayMoreGolf ... on paper, it seems good for me, for the amount of times that I can play

Are you bothered about competition golf?
What days/times are you looking to play?
Easy to bring a guest(s) to your home course.
You get allocated 20 points for an away course, so if you played at prime time at an away course then you might get you and a guest for that.
Its great for summer golf if you are happy to play mid/late afternoon.
What would your home course be and I can screenshot points matrix if you don’t have it?

albie999

Visit site
Not really .. might join 1 or 2 a year, although believe the option might also be there to join further comps with PlayMoreGolf
Last year, tended to play on a Wednesday evening, after 4.30-5.00, then an occasional Saturday or Sunday game after comps had finished (1pm onwards)
You get allocated 20 points for an away course, so if you played at prime time at an away course then you might get you and a guest for that.
Around my area (Cardiff/Newport) - there seems to be a few courses play, including Celtic Manor
Tried to play once a week in the summer, on a Wednesday after 4.30-5.00
What would your home course be and I can screenshot points matrix if you don’t have it?
Looking at Llanwern Golf Club or Tredegar Park Golf Club

Also, as an example of my schedule ... have not played at my home course since October, due to dark evenings, and "clique" groups of players, booking all tee times available on Saturday and Sunday, (but that is another conversation). More than likely will not be on my course till can get out in the evenings, so looking at March time. I have been getting some weekend games in at other courses, through GolfNow, or direct with a club

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
How you will be treated and your access to the course and comps varies massively from club to club.

I joined my club as a PMG member. I had the same booking privileges as full members, and I could play in all comps other than the board comps. I was spoken to and treated no differently to any other member.
Having joined the PMG Facebook group, this isn’t the case everywhere.

Before you join up find another PMG member and get a referral code as both will get 10 additional points. And check the web for voucher codes that add more points.

I burnt through my points in about 5 months and became a full member.

Flipit

Visit site
I took up play more golf membership along with some pals at my local club when it first started and i think from memory i was paying £325 for the package of points - it was advertised as Full Membership privileges etc. but in reality it wasn't - you get the bag tag and all that jazz but weekend mornings were blocked out for PMG members and we weren't allowed to enter any club competitions. Asides from that it got me a CONGU handicap (at that time) and an introduction to the club and some of the (full) members - I have now joined the same club as a full member. PMG is a great introduction and a taster for you regards joining a club and it is also great for the casual round if you don't play a lot. Having said that i understand PMG rates at my club have increased a lot - on a positive all the PMG bods get together and organise there own swindles and separate PMG comps. There are also some decent courses where you can use your away points. If i was doing it again i would definitely nail down exactly what your home club offers to PMG members before you dive in as in my experience the local PMG sales bloke was a little flamboyant with his description of what we would get. Approach the club you will be naming as your home club first and get their take on what the PMG membership gets you just to be sure.

Larry long dog

Visit site
Not really .. might join 1 or 2 a year, although believe the option might also be there to join further comps with PlayMoreGolf
Last year, tended to play on a Wednesday evening, after 4.30-5.00, then an occasional Saturday or Sunday game after comps had finished (1pm onwards)
Around my area (Cardiff/Newport) - there seems to be a few courses play, including Celtic Manor
Tried to play once a week in the summer, on a Wednesday after 4.30-5.00
Looking at Llanwern Golf Club or Tredegar Park Golf Club

Also, as an example of my schedule ... have not played at my home course since October, due to dark evenings, and "clique" groups of players, booking all tee times available on Saturday and Sunday, (but that is another conversation). More than likely will not be on my course till can get out in the evenings, so looking at March time. I have been getting some weekend games in at other courses, through GolfNow, or direct with a club

PMG have their faults (mainly with how they dealt with lockdown) but sounds like PMG would work for you with your agenda.

Llanwern 18 holes is 3 points April-Sept after 13:00 Monday to Friday. Saturday is 4 points. Sunday looks like you can’t get on until 15:00(but I’m sure the club would accommodate you by either phoning or just turning up).

October to March is 4 points 11-13:00 and 3 points from 13:00.

Tredegar winter is same as Llanwern. But summer is more points. 5 points 15:00-17:00 every day. After 17:00 is 3 points.

Llanwern says play in selected Sunday comps.
Tredegar says play in all midweeks comps and Sunday comps except board comps.

Sorry couldn’t screenshot the points matrix! Drop me a DM if you like and I can refer you.

albie999

Visit site
PMG have their faults (mainly with how they dealt with lockdown) but sounds like PMG would work for you with your agenda.

Llanwern 18 holes is 3 points April-Sept after 13:00 Monday to Friday. Saturday is 4 points. Sunday looks like you can’t get on until 15:00(but I’m sure the club would accommodate you by either phoning or just turning up).

October to March is 4 points 11-13:00 and 3 points from 13:00.

Tredegar winter is same as Llanwern. But summer is more points. 5 points 15:00-17:00 every day. After 17:00 is 3 points.

Llanwern says play in selected Sunday comps.
Tredegar says play in all midweeks comps and Sunday comps except board comps.

Sorry couldn’t screenshot the points matrix! Drop me a DM if you like and I can refer you.

That's really helpful. The points look quite reasonable then ... if playing after 5pm each week, that's 26 games of golf (at home course) ... keeping in mind I think Tredegar park membership is £700 per year .... and PMG is £350 (I think)

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Got 120 points on PMG and spunked all within 2 months in Aug & Sept. Mainly using 3/4 points a round.

Still worked out for around £10 a round but looking back wish I would have got a full membership.

Live and learn

albie999

Visit site
Got 120 points on PMG and spunked all within 2 months in Aug & Sept. Mainly using 3/4 points a round.

Still worked out for around £10 a round but looking back wish I would have got a full membership.

Live and learn
Suppose the difference for me .. is that even in height of summer, I am still going to be restricted to a game a week

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Suppose the difference for me .. is that even in height of summer, I am still going to be restricted to a game a week

I think it’s great for someone like yourself. Especially if you can play at times where the least points are used.

Also helps if you can join a course that is right for you.

I joined a course thinking it was brilliant and 2 weeks in I realised I had made a mistake. Managed to cancel during my cooling period and joined a different course which really suited me and a couple others.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
How you will be treated and your access to the course and comps varies massively from club to club.

I joined my club as a PMG member. I had the same booking privileges as full members, and I could play in all comps other than the board comps. I was spoken to and treated no differently to any other member.
Having joined the PMG Facebook group, this isn’t the case everywhere.

Before you join up find another PMG member and get a referral code as both will get 10 additional points. And check the web for voucher codes that add more points.

I burnt through my points in about 5 months and became a full member.
The attitude of some golf clubs is truly bizarre. Your post clearly indicates that PMG is a likely 'gateway' from a light membership into full membership, but probably not if the club doesn't treat you well in the first place.

It pains me as to how outdated golf clubs are

HeftyHacker

Visit site
The attitude of some golf clubs is truly bizarre. Your post clearly indicates that PMG is a likely 'gateway' from a light membership into full membership, but probably not if the club doesn't treat you well in the first place.

In my case at Worsley they simply stopped accepting the PMG memberships and took away our booking privileges. I had no communications on the matter! I think I was left with 5 points I was unable to use.

Due to the Covid boom and Swinton closing they had a huge influx in members and decided they didn't need PMG any more.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

It does appear that way at some places. Thankfully my club is more welcoming and progressive than many and I was happy to become a full member once my points ran out.

Par345

Visit site
Ive just joined PMG at a course in Cheshire, will see how it goes. Ive played a few times there last few summers and was in great condition, a real gem.
Anyone wants a referral DM me for 10 extra points. I managed to get that plus another offer so got an extra 26 home points....yet to see how it works out exactly.
Quite a few clubs in the area offer their own version, but without the other clubs in the network.
Ive got a bit p'd off with joining some of the so called better clubs only to find out they have serious management issues, are skint, or want to make massive changes and are still unplayable half the year so I might just start trying a few places more cheaply before buying in fully. Im not really into Saturday golf any more, did it all at my previous club, presentations every week, jacket and tie etc since lockdown got other things going on. Still enjoy competitive golf though.
PMG is an interesting concept. Anyone else joined anywhere on the scheme recently ?

LegendOle

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive just joined PMG at a course in Cheshire, will see how it goes. Ive played a few times there last few summers and was in great condition, a real gem.
Anyone wants a referral DM me for 10 extra points. I managed to get that plus another offer so got an extra 26 home points....yet to see how it works out exactly.
Quite a few clubs in the area offer their own version, but without the other clubs in the network.
Ive got a bit p'd off with joining some of the so called better clubs only to find out they have serious management issues, are skint, or want to make massive changes and are still unplayable half the year so I might just start trying a few places more cheaply before buying in fully. Im not really into Saturday golf any more, did it all at my previous club, presentations every week, jacket and tie etc since lockdown got other things going on. Still enjoy competitive golf though.
PMG is an interesting concept. Anyone else joined anywhere on the scheme recently ?
Literally just signed up for a PMG membership last night! Trying to get back into things after a few years away. Dont have the time to play enough to justify "proper" membership but hoping to get back to some sort of regular playing.