playing with better irons

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i've been playing golf for 18 months now with a handicap of 17. i practice pretty much every day. i currently use ap1's.

as a bonus for landing a big contract my boss who also plays golf is treating me to a new set of irons. do i go for a players iron, like a Ap2, mizuno mp53 or TM MB's or stay with the game improvement irons. i know i hit the later better and perhaps moving to a players iron will initially worsen my game but is it a case of playing into them? i dont want to buy a set of irons that i will play out of, but worry i might be ahead of myself and bitting off more than i can chew.

you thoughts would be great

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If you can't arrange for a custom fit and like the AP1s I am sure that you wouln love the ap2's. The new ones feel really good

Chris

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just give them a try.

If your improving why not, theres plenty of guys on here with higher handicaps than you using better player irons.

why not have a look at the Mizuno JPX pro as well, a few guys on here have them, forgiving and workable i believe.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
i've been playing golf for 18 months now with a handicap of 17. i practice pretty much every day. i currently use ap1's.

as a bonus for landing a big contract my boss who also plays golf is treating me to a new set of irons. do i go for a players iron, like a Ap2, mizuno mp53 or TM MB's or stay with the game improvement irons. i know i hit the later better and perhaps moving to a players iron will initially worsen my game but is it a case of playing into them? i dont want to buy a set of irons that i will play out of, but worry i might be ahead of myself and bitting off more than i can chew.

you thoughts would be great

I have the MP53 and they are great set. Full cavity at the lower irons, moving to blade-like at the higher end. This club is used by a variety of handicaps, not just "players". Give it a go, but if going to a shop, pick the shaft flex that suits your game.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the one hand i'd say stick with the AP1's as they are GI but only just, but as they being bought for you then the ones you mention would all do the job as long as you are a decent ball-striker.

Id seriously recommend getting fit though, Mizuno do it for free at Burhill and various authorised fitters around the UK or Titleist charge £40 at cambridge. ive been to both - Mizuno for Irons and Titleist for woods.

It might take a little longer to get them in the bag but ar least you know you have the right ones.

Good luck.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use AP2's and I love them. Go for it they will not let you down. I started with R300 shafts a few years ago and chopped these in for the new AP2 710 model with S300's which suit me better. Try them with different shafts to see what is right for you.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best advice is go with what you want to. IF you are not a very good striker of the ball going for Muscle backs or <uscle cavity irons may be a bad idea as you will struggle with then especially the longer irons. Maybe the Taylormade TP Cavity Backs may be a good option. They are a better players iron but also offer some good forgiveness also.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
you just have to go out and hit a few. you won't know until then what suits and what doesn't.
I was certain I'd be going for Mizuno but was pretty disappointed when I got to try them, loved the AP2 and CB710's, though the latter are not very forgiving.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This may not be the commonly held theory but if I was starting out I would use a good quality forged muscleback set of irons. Why? They give great feedback on how you are striking the ball, it you are not hitting the ball on the sweetspot then you will feel it through your hands, likewise if you are striking it in the sweetspot then you will experence the beauty of a well hit shot. Cavity back irons will never give you the same feel for how well you are striking the ball.

As for make, well, I am a Mizzy Man.

Last edited:

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
This may not be the commonly held theory but if I was starting out I would use a good quality forged muscleback set of irons. Why? They give great feedback on how you are striking the ball, it you are not hitting the ball on the sweetspot then you will feel it through your hands, likewise if you are striking it in the sweetspot then you will experence the beauty of a well hit shot. Cavity back irons will never give you the same feel for how well you are striking the ball.

As for make, well, I am a Mizzy Man.

:clap: