Playing out of rain hardened bunkers

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Just wondered if anyone has any tips for playing out of bunkers when they have been rained on so much they may as well be concrete.

I went in a couple yesterday and my sand wedge just bounced of the compacted sand.

Any tips welcome, and will get plenty of practise as most of our bunkers are like concrete with very little sand in, and never raked by greens staff.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Often i switch to my PW or 52w as they have much less bounce, coupled with a flatter approach to encourage picking the ball off rather than splashing out

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Likewise our Bunkers little sand and hard surfaces that takes chunks out of the irons, so I use an old Wedge that gets me out better than a Sand Wedge

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Play them like a shot off the fairway - hit the ball clean from fairway bunkers and greenside bunkers.

If you need to get a lot of height fast (greenside close pin) use the most lofted club you have and open the face as required - and hit it as if you are hitting from a fairway - hit it normally and dont quit on the ball! If you are going across the green you will need to adjust loft to allow ball to come out and go across the gree - though to be honest get it out in the general directiona and you are doing well.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
In greenside bunkers that aren't too deep, don't open the face on the SW. Aim for a point 3-5 inches behind the ball and hit down hard forcing the club a few inches into the wet sand. A steep angle of attack will help.
Be brave, commit to it and follow through.

In shallow fairway bunkers, position the ball in the centre of your stance and try to keep your lower half quiet. Keep your head still and stay centred over the ball