Playing my first medal

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Playing a medal on sat to start the process of getting my handycap I just joined a random group with a high hc so I wasn't holding people back, what should I expect from it and any other advice would be great, thanks

D

Deleted member 23270

Just go out and enjoy it. Add up your score at the end then sign the card and hand it in. Repeat twice and voila, you have a handicap. Don t worry about it, what will be will be and your handicap will improve as you get used to playing in competitions.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I will do I just wondered if there was anything I needed to know before hand, I just hope the guys I'm playing with will be alright

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I will do I just wondered if there was anything I needed to know before hand, I just hope the guys I'm playing with will be alright
Don't be afraid to ask them for a ruling, let them know you're a new member obviously. Plenty of new golf members will not know every rule in the book, I certainly didn't. Always ask the guys you're playing with if you're not sure on a ruling and they should always be happy to advise. Other than that just enjoy the round and try not to worry about the score.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't be afraid to ask them for a ruling, let them know you're a new member obviously. Plenty of new golf members will not know every rule in the book, I certainly didn't. Always ask the guys you're playing with if you're not sure on a ruling and they should always be happy to advise. Other than that just enjoy the round and try not to worry about the score.

That is something I'm still struggling with the amount of rules I have an app on my phone its just a matter of getting use to them

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That is something I'm still struggling with the amount of rules I have an app on my phone its just a matter of getting use to them
I also downloaded the rules app when I joined a club, thinking I would need it. In reality you tend to just agree the correct ruling between those of you that are playing. I don't think I've actually used the rule app since I installed it. It's just there in case there's actually a dispute I suppose, but this hasn't happened to me yet.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don’t be late to the 1st tee
Check you have enough balls, gloves, tees etc
Don’t faff about when it’s your turn to play
Where practical hit your next shot before helping someone else look for their ball
Don’t talk/shuffle about when someone else is playing
Repair pitch marks when entering the green
Repair spike marks before leaving the green
Mark the card clearly and legibly
Do have fun

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also downloaded the rules app when I joined a club, thinking I would need it. In reality you tend to just agree the correct ruling between those of you that are playing. I don't think I've actually used the rule app since I installed it. It's just there in case there's actually a dispute I suppose, but this hasn't happened to me yet.

Blasphemy. Do you know how many forum rules you have broken with that statement? (we do exactly the same and so far the sky has not fallen on my head :whoo:)

I would tell them on the 1st tee that it is your first medal comp. They should look after you a little more, make you aware of any crime about to be committed before it is committed and generally look out for you. After your 2nd or 3rd round you will realise that 99% of people are just out for a pleasant time, mainly care about their golf, not yours, and are not rule pedants. You will relax and enjoy it much more.

If you do have a query then ask your playing partners. Be upfront and ask their advice. They may not know either but it will be an ice breaker and you will work it out between you.

Have a good time.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

Just to put others comments in context and why you shouldn't worry about how you do. Everyone is in the same boat. I am off 8 and played with a 12 and an 18 handicapper in a big club comp on Sunday. I knocked it round in 97 - 17 over my handicap. My Playing Partners were more concerned with encouraging me as my game collapsed during the round - and about my state of mind when we'd finished :)

Do not worry. And if it does not go well - do not be embarrassed - and do not concern yourself with what your Playing Partners might be thinking. They will actually be thinking good and supportive thoughts for you.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just go out and enjoy it. Play a provisional if you need to, take the easiest route to safety and not the glory shot. If you are uncertain on how to proceed get advice before touching your ball and ask for help with rules if you need it. Help others look for balls, keep the pace of play with the group in front, enjoy the company and give it your best. The world will keep on turning whatever you score

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just say, Hi guys i'm a new member just learning and this is my first medal, could you keep me right please.
We've all been there so relax enjoy, remember at the 1st don't slice it into the bunker on the right from the tee or in the ditch with your 2nd lol.
Let us know how you get on , and best of luck mate :thup:

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Whenever I'm playing with new members or such like all I ask is they keep up with pace of play.

Don't worry about your score. Just go out and enjoy it, everyone else is in the same boat.

Remember: 'what would it be like if you didn't care about your score?'

Play well mate

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I play quite fast anyway so that shouldn't be a problem I'm just all over the place with my shots hitting right or left no consistency (that will get better in time) so I'm just not wanting to be hitting 3 shots to there 1 and slowing them that way, I joined up with a 20hc and think the others a 17hc so I should keep pace as I'm sure they will be hitting some bad shots too, I'll keep joining high hc medal groups until I have my score cards in and I'll go from there, I'm mostly wanting my hc for the howdidido site that lists all comps and times so I can play in between times or book tee times a lot easier

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I play quite fast anyway so that shouldn't be a problem I'm just all over the place with my shots hitting right or left no consistency (that will get better in time) so I'm just not wanting to be hitting 3 shots to there 1 and slowing them that way, I joined up with a 20hc and think the others a 17hc so I should keep pace as I'm sure they will be hitting some bad shots too, I'll keep joining high hc medal groups until I have my score cards in and I'll go from there, I'm mostly wanting my hc for the howdidido site that lists all comps and times so I can play in between times or book tee times a lot easier

Fret ye not on this as they know full well that you don't want to be doing that. Nobody plays rubbish deliberately.

You might also consider putting the boot on the other foot and be scoring brilliantly with your PCs struggling. Will they be embarrassed by their play and worried about holding you up . No they won't. It's golf. And they know it.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing a medal on sat to start the process of getting my handycap I just joined a random group with a high hc so I wasn't holding people back, what should I expect from it and any other advice would be great, thanks

Don’t worry about your score, if your heading for big score you can pick up, NR the hole and play on from the next tee.

Keep the ball in play, take your time and you’re medicine and keep calm.

THere will be a time for hero shots, now isn’t it. When you are down dormie 2 in an inter club match and you can sniff a win on a hole then go for it then...

The less trouble you find will mean the less you have to ask for help, I have seen it so many times that a new player needs 2 consecutive shots assessed for rules as the first just played them into a worse position as they tried to make up distance with a hero shot.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Just walked all the way up there for the guy I was supposed to be joining didn't turn up, no doubt cos the games on which I didn't want to miss but also didn't want to let anyone down 🤬
So I didn't want to pair with a 3 and a 4 hc so that's my back home waiting for the game, so all in all not the best first medal

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just walked all the way up there for the guy I was supposed to be joining didn't turn up, no doubt cos the games on which I didn't want to miss but also didn't want to let anyone down 🤬
So I didn't want to pair with a 3 and a 4 hc so that's my back home waiting for the game, so all in all not the best first medal

I would have still gone out and played. My first handicap card was with two lads off 5 and 8, they were top lads and really helped me round, showing me rules and offering the odd bit of advice. I’ve played with them many times since then and they have often complimented on how far my game has come since that first round. Just because they have a low number next to their name doesn’t mean they won’t welcome you into a game of golf!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Ano think im just a bit self-conscious as iv been all over the place, the guys up there were saying the same I just didnt feel comfortable playing with guys that low, I'm going to go up thru the week and just ask people I meet if I i can join them, every one I meet was great with me and very helpful also echoed what been said on the thread, if the game wasn't on I might of hung around and waited