Playing my first medal

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ano think im just a bit self-conscious as iv been all over the place, the guys up there were saying the same I just didnt feel comfortable playing with guys that low, I'm going to go up thru the week and just ask people I meet if I i can join them, every one I meet was great with me and very helpful also echoed what been said on the thread, if the game wasn't on I might of hung around and waited

A bit of a let down on your debut, shame on the guy that didn't turn up [ if without notice ].
Don't worry about playing along with low H/C players , they all started where you are ATM.
Most of them are alright guys and will try and help you, but there's always the odd exception. But it's great to take their money and hear them moaning about the strokes they had to give :whoo: :D

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I waited about for him until 2pm there was 3 four balls teeing off after 2 then a gap for half an hour and a two ball low hc but I would of had to wait quite a while, I was a bit gutted but at least I got to see the game, after talking to a few people I'm a bit more confident about just asking to join groups, most look like grumps until you speack to them lol

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I waited about for him until 2pm there was 3 four balls teeing off after 2 then a gap for half an hour and a two ball low hc but I would of had to wait quite a while, I was a bit gutted but at least I got to see the game, after talking to a few people I'm a bit more confident about just asking to join groups, most look like grumps until you speack to them lol

All us old guys look like grumps, once you've been married for awhile it gets you that way :rofl:.
But as you say once you get to know them :thup:.
But try and find out when guys around your age play.
BTW, there's a few local [ ish ] forum members that are surprisingly only in their 30/40s lol , Virtuocity, Super Hans, Ger147, Jimboh, Kennyhdid,, Howlingale , to mention just a few .
Maybe invite them along for a game sometime, they're all good lads, 13 to 18 H/Cs , they often supplement my pension :rofl:

Last edited:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
All us old guys look like grumps, once you've been married for awhile it gets you that way :rofl:.
But as you say once you get to know them :thup:.
But try and find out when guys around your age play.
BTW, there's a few local [ ish ] forum members that are surprisingly only in their 30/40s lol , Virtuocity, Super Hans, Ger147, Jimboh, Kennyhdid,, Howlingale , to mention just a few .
Maybe invite them along for a game sometime, they're all good lads, 13 to 18 H/Cs , they often supplement my pension :rofl:

Lol, I might do that one day get a meet orginased or something in our area, would be good to put a face to some members

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
I would have loitered for a bit and seen if any other groups had a no show. A shame a guy bailed on you but there will be another opportunity

If I wasn't up there so early I probably would have but I was already in the bar for half an hour and I was starting to get a bit p****d off waiting then I gave him another 15 mins and ended up talking to the guy who was singing off the groups and got some good info about roll ups and sweeps comps teams, things that iv already forgot so it wssntbso much a wasted journey, I'll pop up tomorrow between the reserved times and I should get a group if not I'll just go round myself

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
OK finally got to play my first medal was suppose to play last week but a computer glitch kicked me off and someone else booked my spot, so today I just phoned the the starter and booker a time with 2 guys playing off 15, guys were spot on helped me a lot, i played quite poor if I'm honest but kept pace of play and didn't hold anyone up, done 11 holes then the hevans opened up got to the 14th and play was stopped for 30mins didn't restart, so tomorrow I might actually get my first card in think I'm meeting up with the same guys again

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK finally got to play my first medal was suppose to play last week but a computer glitch kicked me off and someone else booked my spot, so today I just phoned the the starter and booker a time with 2 guys playing off 15, guys were spot on helped me a lot, i played quite poor if I'm honest but kept pace of play and didn't hold anyone up, done 11 holes then the hevans opened up got to the 14th and play was stopped for 30mins didn't restart, so tomorrow I might actually get my first card in think I'm meeting up with the same guys again

Don't worry, it'll get less stressful the more you play with different people. Good luck next time :thup:

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye I'm not so hesitant to ask or wait about to get a slot anymore I'm hoping to get them all in by the end of the month and that should make it a lot easier in future, I'm not having the best of luck with this h/c process

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You seem to have it pretty much 'under control' if a little tentative!

I can remember how nervous i was for the first shot in my first medal, but I soon relaxed (well, that's what I thought!).

One thing about playing with other 'high' handicappers is that they quite/very often get rules slightly, but significantly, wrong. Just rmember to confirm your individual hole scores correct (getting the total wrong is irrelevant!) and get your marker to sign your card! Oh! and don't forget to sign it yourself!!

I believe it would be better for you to get advice from a 'Committee Member' (including ex ones) as to which group to sign up with. They will have significantly better knowledge of th sort of player who can 'carry' a newby around their first competition! I have certainly been used for that role in the past - it has never really affected my game, which, like most of us, has been 'inconsistent' at best!

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you don’t have a handicap yet then just get some some numbers down, if it’s moee than a double bogey it’s rounded down to one so no need to have anything more than a 7 on the card.

Find a club you can find fairways with and then when you have 300 left hit two 150 yard shots, for 250 left hit two 125 yard shots.

Get some scores down, get the card in, get a handicap, nothing more to it.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah I was a bit I'm more comfortable now I was extremely nervous at the first tee with everyone watching I hit it straight towards the trees had to pitch out for the second and smashed my 3 wood just off the back of the green for my third after that I was fine, they very knowledgeable about the rules and etiquette and kept me on the correct footing learned a few more things too, I was talking to the starter and he introduced me to some members and organisers and advised me on pairing with certain players, its a lot to take in but im getting there

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
That's what I'm trying to do just not been too successful as yet I'm hoping to get it sorted by the end of this month, the course isnt to difficult and iv been getting beterr at course management finding fw and gir but as you say I just need to get the cards in

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah I was a bit I'm more comfortable now I was extremely nervous at the first tee with everyone watching I hit it straight towards the trees had to pitch out for the second and smashed my 3 wood just off the back of the green for my third after that I was fine, they very knowledgeable about the rules and etiquette and kept me on the correct footing learned a few more things too, I was talking to the starter and he introduced me to some members and organisers and advised me on pairing with certain players, its a lot to take in but im getting there

Glad it's coming together now. As you get to meet more people and get more comfortable playing with them you'll relax sub-consciously. As a result you'll hopefully swing easier. Keep plugging away

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye me too I don't know why I was so worried I think I had preconceived ideas of what a club is like but its far from the snotty place I thought it was, after the first holle I wasn't trying to impress and just got on with my own game

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Got 2 out of 3 cards in had my rearranged medal today with a low hc and i played a lot better than last one, score was still on the high side at 91 but its still going in the right direction I have noticed by playing with seasoned players I'm picking up a lot of tips and tricks especially round the greens

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Got 2 out of 3 cards in had my rearranged medal today with a low hc and i played a lot better than last one, score was still on the high side at 91 but its still going in the right direction I have noticed by playing with seasoned players I'm picking up a lot of tips and tricks especially round the greens

:thup:

martza82

Visit site
This thread has been a cracking read. I came across it from a google search and glad I did.

I've been playing golf fair weather for about 4 years now and I'm going to attempt to get my first handicap this year. I seem to have caught the bug for golf since the schools went back and have probably played more this winter than the last two complete years combined.

If I don't have a handicap at present do I need to speak to the club about finding a group to play with as I don't want to be hacking my way around and ruining the game for people who are their to play some serious golf.

Cheers

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
This will be year two of being a member and quite excited about this season, was a lot to learn and get my head round being a newbe at first, but not so much now, iv been invited to most of the sweeps and playing regular people in medals has really helped me fit in, really glad I joined the club also the gm forum, think 2019 is going to be a good golfing year

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This thread has been a cracking read. I came across it from a google search and glad I did.

I've been playing golf fair weather for about 4 years now and I'm going to attempt to get my first handicap this year. I seem to have caught the bug for golf since the schools went back and have probably played more this winter than the last two complete years combined.

If I don't have a handicap at present do I need to speak to the club about finding a group to play with as I don't want to be hacking my way around and ruining the game for people who are their to play some serious golf.

Cheers

I see that you didn't get a reply to your question.

You need to find a player at your club who has a handicap and who can play a round with you and mark your score, you'll need three such completed cards to give to the handicap committee and you'll then be allocated a handicap based on the best card of the three.

Most club members will be ore than happy to play with you and score your rounds.

And welcome to the forum!