Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

sunshine

Visit site
well I went out this morning and played my first full 18 holes (only ever done either 9 or 18 on a par 3 course). Disastrous pretty much sums it up, even though it was very windy and had some rain thrown in. Went round in 138 (first 9 = 72 back 9 = 66)

Don't worry about it mate. A full size course can be unforgiving and demoralising for a new golfer. I'd suggest you stick to shorter courses until you feel confident you can knock a good 20 shots off that score, then slowly build up to tougher / longer courses. You'll find it much more fun that way... and golf is supposed to be fun!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
well I went out this morning and played my first full 18 holes (only ever done either 9 or 18 on a par 3 course). Disastrous pretty much sums it up, even though it was very windy and had some rain thrown in. Went round in 138 (first 9 = 72 back 9 = 66)

That's fairly typical, I think I scored 151 the first round I played.

Looney lefty

Visit site
Don't worry about it mate. A full size course can be unforgiving and demoralising for a new golfer. I'd suggest you stick to shorter courses until you feel confident you can knock a good 20 shots off that score, then slowly build up to tougher / longer courses. You'll find it much more fun that way... and golf is supposed to be fun!
cheers mate, don’t get me wrong, I fully enjoyed it - well apart for the strong wind and odd spells of rain. I know that I should’ve been playing my own game but felt I had to keep up with the 2 other I was playing with. One thing I noticed straight away was I didn’t feel that comfortable with them watching me - hopefully that will go away with time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played this morning and there was a 3 ball in front of me and instead of letting me through they asked if i would like to join them. It was so much fun, no scoring just relaxed game. Two of the guys were older and one said he was a 3 handicap OMG every shot he hit was great. Not a single bad shot all day, guess thats whys hes 3 handicap. was totally different experience playing today and i really enjoyed it. Usually im just focus focus focus on score and i do enjoy trying to get me score down but its also good to have a laugh.

....I am one of several one here really pleased you posted this. :) Golf has many forms, there's a time and a place for each.

Your original comments suggest you might pack it in when your scores plateaued or slumped.

...next, even enjoying a round where you played badly, because the course is so beautiful! :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Cheers mate,

cheers mate, don’t get me wrong, I fully enjoyed it - well apart for the strong wind and odd spells of rain. I know that I should’ve been playing my own game but felt I had to keep up with the 2 other I was playing with. One thing I noticed straight away was I didn’t feel that comfortable with them watching me - hopefully that will go away with time.

Wind and rain can challenge even a seasoned player so for your first time on a full size course was tough. You need to have a decent pace of play (or let those behind through) but you shouldn't feel like you're rushing so may be worth a word in the ear of your mates. Also, don't worry about others looking at you. Just focus on the shot in hand and not worry about what others are thinking before or after the shot.

Looney lefty

Visit site
Wind and rain can challenge even a seasoned player so for your first time on a full size course was tough. You need to have a decent pace of play (or let those behind through) but you shouldn't feel like you're rushing so may be worth a word in the ear of your mates. Also, don't worry about others looking at you. Just focus on the shot in hand and not worry about what others are thinking before or after the shot.
The pace of play wasn’t the problem, it was more trying to match their shots. I’ve never really hit a hybrid before but on a number of holes, saw them use it for their 2nd shot so felt i also had to use it (plus trying to make up for not hitting it as far as them). I think the looking at me thing was more being worried about getting judged if I mess up - it’s the same at the range, I will always look for an empty bay completely out of the way

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The pace of play wasn’t the problem, it was more trying to match their shots. I’ve never really hit a hybrid before but on a number of holes, saw them use it for their 2nd shot so felt i also had to use it (plus trying to make up for not hitting it as far as them). I think the looking at me thing was more being worried about getting judged if I mess up - it’s the same at the range, I will always look for an empty bay completely out of the way

Very hard in your first game. It feels as though there's a million and one things going on. What you need to do (range over the winter perhaps) is find out how far your clubs go for you. Just because your mates are hitting a hybrid or a 6 iron or whatever it is doesn't mean you have to. Also, if they are accomplished (or at least more advanced) and are hitting a hybrid, there is nothing to stop you hitting a seven iron and then a nine iron (and probably a safer strategy) to get the ball the same distance and probably closer to the green