Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mostly off the tee again but there has been times ive hit driver to the left and thought i will be ok, then i cant find it so drop a ball. What is the correct thing to do ?
You're not playing competitions so you can do what you want really. A lot of people do what you've said on non-comp friendly rounds. When you join a club and start playing comps you'll need to A) play a provisional off the tee if you think there's any chance of losing the first ball, and B) if you didn't play a provisional and you lose it unexpectedly, you would have to walk all the way back to the tee.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You're not playing competitions so you can do what you want really. A lot of people do what you've said on non-comp friendly rounds. When you join a club and start playing comps you'll need to A) play a provisional off the tee if you think there's any chance of losing the first ball, and B) if you didn't play a provisional and you lose it unexpectedly, you would have to walk all the way back to the tee.

Poster above is right though that there is the additional option of a two stroke penalty instead of walking back to the tee if the local rule is in play. I think i'd probably still retake the shot but the option may be there so worth mentioning without hopefully over complicating things.

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/new-golf-rules-explained-local-rules-170233

TigerBear

Visit site
Mr P this is exceptional progress for what is a very difficult sport. Totally agree with you, the more practice and lessons you put in will undoubtedly mean for much quicker progress than someone who can only get out once every 2 weeks or once a week.

With the flexibility of my job with recent lockdown I've been able to get out sometimes 3 to 4 rounds a week and what a difference it's made to my game overall. Easily the best golf I've ever played just now!

Keep up the great progress, you'll be bursting 80 in no time lol

Looney lefty

Visit site
Fantastic scores! I’m playing my first proper 18 holes next week. Like you, I’m not sure what score I should be looking for as I’ve only ever played on my local 9 hole par 3 course - currently scoring between 39 - 46 (shortest hole 78 yards, longest 141 yards)

I’ve had a couple of lessons, who kindly lent me an old 8 iron to practice with but 2 days before lockdown I bit the bullet and brought my 1st ever set of clubs.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fantastic scores! I’m playing my first proper 18 holes next week. Like you, I’m not sure what score I should be looking for as I’ve only ever played on my local 9 hole par 3 course - currently scoring between 39 - 46 (shortest hole 78 yards, longest 141 yards)

I’ve had a couple of lessons, who kindly lent me an old 8 iron to practice with but 2 days before lockdown I bit the bullet and brought my 1st ever set of clubs.

Go out and enjoy the 18 holes. There is no expectations. Play, enjoy the scenery, and see what happens

Looney lefty

Visit site
After the first 18 holes it gives you a score to beat and for me thats what i love. Always trying to get a personal best. Good luck on your first 18 and let us know how you score mate
Cheers mate, that’s what I’ve been doing around the 9 hole course. Managed to get down from 46 to a personal best of 39. Still a long way to go though.

I didn’t spend as much as you on clubs and opted for a package set as wasn’t entirely sure on what to buy. Ended up buying these: https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/package-sets/callaway-golf-warbird-package-set-321316.html

Tommy10

Visit site
Winter greens = putting on fairways, absolutely hate them. One of the reasons I left my last club and moved on.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very solid bogey golf, don’t change too much other than working to eliminate those doubles.

Don’t worry about missed birdies, they will happen more and more so get used to tapping in pars and being happy now!

It looks like you are managing your risk well, grinding out a bogey when things don’t go well which is a brilliant way to get the scores down. Pars and birdies will come but don’t force those GIRs as that could send you back ways pretty quick!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played this morning and there was a 3 ball in front of me and instead of letting me through they asked if i would like to join them. It was so much fun, no scoring just relaxed game. Two of the guys were older and one said he was a 3 handicap OMG every shot he hit was great. Not a single bad shot all day, guess thats whys hes 3 handicap. was totally different experience playing today and i really enjoyed it. Usually im just focus focus focus on score and i do enjoy trying to get me score down but its also good to have a laugh.
Judging by your previous posts and threads I think it's safe to say you do take golf very seriously and I get it. But if you're looking to reach a place where you'll finally be happy and content with your game (such as the 3 handicap golfer you played with). It's never going to happen. I know it sounds crazy to you but I guarantee the 3 handicap golfer probably finished his round unhappy with his golf and might even have kicked his cat across the living room ?.
I realised this when I reached a handicap of around 18. So just chill out, practice hard and leave expectation in the car park

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played this morning and there was a 3 ball in front of me and instead of letting me through they asked if i would like to join them. It was so much fun, no scoring just relaxed game. Two of the guys were older and one said he was a 3 handicap OMG every shot he hit was great. Not a single bad shot all day, guess thats whys hes 3 handicap. was totally different experience playing today and i really enjoyed it. Usually im just focus focus focus on score and i do enjoy trying to get me score down but its also good to have a laugh.
Well done and great progress.
As I said earlier do not focus entirely on your scores to judge your improvement.
I have had beginners who were making very good progress lose heart as they start believing that they are not getting any better because they are not scoring any better.
It is a long journey, you are doing exceptionally well and your scoring pattern shows that you have it in you to be pretty good. Not losing a ball in 18 holes and nothing worse than an eight is brilliant for the time you have been playing.
Watch out for the inevitable bad days and don't beat yourself up about them.

Spend time studying the rules and do not be afraid to ask more experienced players advice.
There is nothing club golfers enjoy more than tripping up and coming new golfers on their lack of knowledge of the rules.

Looney lefty

Visit site
After the first 18 holes it gives you a score to beat and for me thats what i love. Always trying to get a personal best. Good luck on your first 18 and let us know how you score mate
well I went out this morning and played my first full 18 holes (only ever done either 9 or 18 on a par 3 course). Disastrous pretty much sums it up, even though it was very windy and had some rain thrown in. Went round in 138 (first 9 = 72 back 9 = 66)