Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
I’m amazed you’re getting the level of consistency and progress you are already, well done! My rounds when I first started off would vary drastically, mainly through a few holes being absolute card killers

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One over Personal Best in awful conditions is decent progress. My first golf coach used to say that you need to put away your pencil at the end of October and play for practice until the Spring! Maybe that's a long time, but you'll get the sentiments.

Not a bad suggestion although for a newbie golfer I don't think it's something he'll take you up on. For me winter is usually about a few lessons with the pro I use to make some improvements and changes and for me to work on weak areas like my short game

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
View attachment 32628
Done it ? after the first hole i had a feeling i was right on it today. Even had 2 triple bogeys today. Just need to get my first birdie now.

Well done on the rapid progress.

I have to ask are you scoring correctly? You have posted previously that your losing 4-5 balls per round so that would be 8-10 shots.

If this is the case if you can play without losing a ball breaking 80 shouldn’t be far away.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Usually lose 2/3 most ive ever lost in a game is 5 and lost 0 today but thats only the second times ive not lost any balls. I know if you lose a ball say on your drive then your next drive is really your 3rd shot and not your 2nd.

Great. Keep up the work. I suspect you will be a single figure handicap this time next year.

You put some golfers to shame. Many play for years and get nowhere near breaking 90.

Tommy10

Visit site
Can you not get 3 handed in and get an official handicap before the new system kicks in? Saying that, if you have 3 rounds registered by 2nd November the new system will take your best round and cut 2 off it!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I really want to get a handicap now andstart playing in competitions .When i played with the Vice President he said someone from the club has to mark 20 of my cards and i hand in my best 8. How do people go about getting someone to mark there cards, if you dont know anyone at the club ?
I think you're a bit confused. It's only 3 marked cards you hand in. The best 8 out of 20 thing is how your handicap will be worked out after the new system comes in in November.

Generally, after you've joined a club you can ask them about getting someone to mark your card. They might just let you play a round with some members on a competition day, or just get a committee member to go round with you at some point. At my club they were quite relaxed, as me and a mate joined together they let us mark each other's cards.

AdamW

Visit site
I am pleased for you breaking 90 but also absolutely infuriated :ROFLMAO: I am struggling to break 100 at the minute after two years good effort, think the lowest I have is around 96.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Usually lose 2/3 most ive ever lost in a game is 5 and lost 0 today but thats only the second times ive not lost any balls. I know if you lose a ball say on your drive then your next drive is really your 3rd shot and not your 2nd.

If you lose a ball on your drive are you playing three off the tee or putting one down where you think it went

AdamW

Visit site
Probably down to me playing 5 full rounds a week and maybe once at the range. My cousin had played since he was a child but maybe only plays once a month and he said if im playing 5 days a week ill be better than him soon Just because im playing so much.

That is a lot of playing time per week, you will soon be on the tour!

Do you not get exhausted with that amount? I am knackered after 18 on a hilly course