Playing my first 18 holes tomorrow

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
You will find if any good you will drop very very quickly, then it levels off and advancement is a lot harder. My first handicap was 10. I am still 10, if I played 3 or 4 times a week I could probably get down somewhat lower but the difference in getting to 10 and getting to 5 is massive. Family, work, life gets in the way, also we all just have a level we can achieve and we won't know what it is until we get there.

I do know my 1st Handicap was at 45 years old and while I have played on and off for a few years with lots of down time I certainly know it would be lower if I had learnt to play golf much younger in life ( I started at 33). My son started at 10 and is now off 12 and is 13 ( He shot +2 on his local shorter 9 hole course, we went round twice, I shot +3). He swing is head and shoulders better than mine and he isn't anywhere near fully grown, already hitting it out to 270. I believe he will be low singles by the time he is 16 but whether he can go scratch or better I don't know, technically he is very very good but less so with natural talent it's all learnt where as most of mine is the opposite, only ever had 8 lessons he has had weekly ones for 3 years.

One thing I can say is you will have to deal with going backwards to go forwards, there are times when things need to change and making those changes will make you play worse until they embed and you then improve further. On my last 2 lessons it was recommended if i wished to go lower I change my grip, which affected my takeaway and plane and i would need to spend a fair amount of time making that change without any guarantee it would drop me too much further and would have to deal with everything going left until I embedded it. I am happy playing off 10 against my son for now but maybe when het gets lower I will make that change, just not yet plsu I will never keep pace wiht his distance gains every year I get shorter and he gets longer :).

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am definitely the type of person who needs goals to keep my interest. So if i was to reach that goal i would just need to set another. First goal was to get a par then under 100. So next goals are birdie and under 90. Obviously im still going to shoot over 100 but its just nice to know i can shoot low 90s if im playing well after 5 weeks of playing.

Just keep in mind how the handicap system works (albeit its due to change), the lower you get the less shots AND the less of a reduction you get. Its a double whammy.
If you were 4 under CSS off 18, you get 1.6 cut (0.4 x 4) but if you are off 8 not only is is more difficult to get 4 under CSS, but when you do you would only get 0.8 cut. So your progress does slow down when you get lower.

Just something to keep in mind.

sunshine

Visit site
Well done. Great start to your golfing journey.

I'd recommend playing pitch and putt to help you with your short game and putting. Obviously much quicker and can also be more fun than slogging round a full length course.

jamiet7682

Visit site
Well done. Great start to your golfing journey.

I'd recommend playing pitch and putt to help you with your short game and putting. Obviously much quicker and can also be more fun than slogging round a full length course.
Good par 3 course up at brucefields just outside stirling to hone your short game.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I started aged 10 and worked hard at my game and made rapid improvements until I was 16. After that I stagnated a little and as I found football, alcohol and girls I lost interest and once the handicap started to climb I jacked it in for nearly 10 years. I came back and got an OK handicap but now float between 14 and 11. I am currently on the downward trend and handicap is down at 12 and close to 11. I still think I can get to single figures so that's my goal and "crack it" target

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Scored 110 today ? played horrible the first 9 and lost 5 balls on the first 9. I need to get a lesson just on the 3 wood. Just cant hit that club. Also struggled with my 5 and 4 irons today, kept topping them. Back 9 played good so pulled my score back. Looking forward to trying a new course tomorrow to see how i do.

Not surprised you are struggling with a 4 iron or even a 3w. 5w or Hybrid off the tee and 7 iron on the fairway. When I first started playing I used to hit a 7 iron all the way round.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Scored 110 today ? played horrible the first 9 and lost 5 balls on the first 9. I need to get a lesson just on the 3 wood. Just cant hit that club. Also struggled with my 5 and 4 irons today, kept topping them. Back 9 played good so pulled my score back. Looking forward to trying a new course tomorrow to see how i do.
You should bin the 4 iron very few use that club now , as your just starting out do as Reemul suggested and use a 7 iron, you woul probably get under 100 that way.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You should bin the 4 iron very few use that club now , as your just starting out do as Reemul suggested and use a 7 iron, you woul probably get under 100 that way.

I'd bin the 4 iron permanently in favour of the equivalent hybrid. Granted I've been playing significantly longer than the OP but I've made the switch and it has transformed my own game. I think the OP also needs to bear in mind how few rounds he's played and so he has to expect bad days as we all get them. Going to get a lesson, and then working on the drills is important as I think the OP is still learning and so has to get the basics right before he can make meaningful and lasting progress

Lawrence22

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
View attachment 32489
Scored 92 today ? slowed my game down today. Usually i play really fast and noticed yesterday when i played with someone else, we played slower and i played very good. So tried that today and worked great. Another couple of pars and blew a 5ft put for a birdie. So next challenge is a bridie and to break 90

I broke 90 for the first time today (89). I've only been playing 12 years!!

Sam_R

Visit site
I think a good goal for beginners is to improve your worst scores - aim for a round without any triple bogies, then double bogies etc.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Williamwood i got the 30 days trial but pretty sure ill join on full membership. Playing Cathcart castle on Friday to see what there course is like.
Have you tried East Ren yet? Great course and more of a challenge, if that's what you fancy. There's a few members on this forum. If you ring and speak to Danny, the Club Manager, he can let you know what deals are on at the moment.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Broken 100 already and now trying out different courses. Excellent progress for a total beginner.

Visit site
95 today and i felt as if i played a lot worse than yesterday and i was only 1 shot more. Good thing is i now feel as if I should only be 100+ if i have a absolutely terrible game. View attachment 32552
How many lessons have you had? I’m just starting back but have much less playing time so interested in where you have concentrated your efforts to make such rapid progress to see what I could replicate?