Playing in an Open, deliberately off the wrong tees

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
On a similar note, the wife and I went walking in Kent last week - along the stretch of coast that borders St Goerges, Cinque Ports and Princes to be precise. The gusts were circa 50mph and I reckon some of the holes into them would have been as close to unplayable as you could really get!
I can attest to the fact that some of them were very unplayable!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They were in a competition, they had to play off the competition tees.

With regards to entering and then deliberately playing off the wrong tees just to get a cheap green fee, all joking aside worst case scenario would be kicked off the course, banned from coming back and disciplined by your own club for dragging their name down.
The comps in the USA use different tees on the slope system.
You pick your tee and handicap is adjusted accordingly.
Will it not be the same here?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you've entered a comp then you've made your choice and so unless you intend to NR and move forward there's not a lot else you can do. Otherwise, why flog yourself to death and struggle to enjoy a round you've paid (sometime a good chunk of cash) for.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
This topic asks the question, should this kind of Open be played off white tees? It is reckoned that the average UK handicap is about 15 or 16. Should the competitors be asked to play a series of par 4s over 400 yards long? Fair enough for the scratch events but, as said above, this only leads to lengthy rounds as all the folks in the mid teen & higher handicap range take three shots to reach the par 4s. I even, for the first & last time, played in a Seniors' event off the whites this year. Proper enjoyment killer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This topic asks the question, should this kind of Open be played off white tees? It is reckoned that the average UK handicap is about 15 or 16. Should the competitors be asked to play a series of par 4s over 400 yards long? Fair enough for the scratch events but, as said above, this only leads to lengthy rounds as all the folks in the mid teen & higher handicap range take three shots to reach the par 4s. I even, for the first & last time, played in a Seniors' event off the whites this year. Proper enjoyment killer.
The seniors can play of the whites on a normal course say 6400yds.
But at almost 7000 thats Just silly in this country imo.
It’s wet , cold and windy most of the time.
Maybe the information for the opens should include the yardage of the course to play that day and not just the tee colour.
Don’t forget the seniors encompasses a wide range of players some are still very good players and very fit.
It’s hard to set a course for everyone.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
just a thought, as you said it was 4BBB, maybe that was why they were off the back tee's...... Bandits:LOL:

i've found most of the senior opens (individual strokeplay) up here are off the yellows with the odd exception of course

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just a thought, as you said it was 4BBB, maybe that was why they were off the back tee's...... Bandits:LOL:

i've found most of the senior opens (individual strokeplay) up here are off the yellows with the odd exception of course
Seniors here are mostly yellows.
Have played a few off the whites but they are mainly older shortish courses .
Nothing anywhere near 6900 yds.
But plenty of bandits ,complaining it’s impossible to score well after posting 46/47 pts.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really couldn't care if someone played off shorter tees in an open.

Means they will take less time and have no chance of winning.

Win win for the rest of the field.

Crack on. Enjoy your day.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to clarify, in this instance quoted, it was not a seniors comp, the course length was 6,925yds. None of this was a shock when we arrived at the course ?, we all knew the score. The game changer was the wind. I don't want anyone thinking I am moaning or complaining about the course or comp i am not.

I could give separate criticisms of the course in a review but that would be for another thread. You could transfer the question to another course, the actualcourse is irrelevant to the original point.

I believe that seniors comps around here are also predominantly played off yellows as well.

D

Deleted member 3432

Just to clarify, in this instance quoted, it was not a seniors comp, the course length was 6,925yds. None of this was a shock when we arrived at the course ?, we all knew the score. The game changer was the wind. I don't want anyone thinking I am moaning or complaining about the course or comp i am not.

I could give separate criticisms of the course in a review but that would be for another thread. You could transfer the question to another course, the actualcourse is irrelevant to the original point.

I believe that seniors comps around here are also predominantly played off yellows as well.

This is the problem with a long course, any bad weather and it becomes a slog.

However if the organisers realised it was going to be windy and moved some tees up you can guarantee there would be complaints as some would be wanting to test themselves on a long track.

Unless you are a strong hitter its best avoiding long courses as it is very dull golf hitting driver, 3 wood on every hole and thats if you hit the fairway......

We don't often play off our very back tees at 6641 yards as it plays much longer in any sort of wind and is too stern of a test for the lower mid handicapper and above in any sort of wind which is a given in these parts.

I remember playing in the English mid am at Silloth a few years back and the EGU officials moved some tees up on the final day as they deemed the conditions would be too difficult and this was a field of cat 1 golfers!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is the problem with a long course, any bad weather and it becomes a slog.

However if the organisers realised it was going to be windy and moved some tees up you can guarantee there would be complaints as some would be wanting to test themselves on a long track.

Unless you are a strong hitter its best avoiding long courses as it is very dull golf hitting driver, 3 wood on every hole and thats if you hit the fairway......

We don't often play off our very back tees at 6641 yards as it plays much longer in any sort of wind and is too stern of a test for the lower mid handicapper and above in any sort of wind which is a given in these parts.

I remember playing in the English mid am at Silloth a few years back and the EGU officials moved some tees up on the final day as they deemed the conditions would be too difficult and this was a field of cat 1 golfers!
i wish someone would tell our head green keeper.. last year in one of the few very back tee members comps not only did he stick every tee at the very very back, he aso stuck the flags on all the high point s of the greens as he'd seen a forcaste for Rain... he didn'y worry about the 30MPH plus wind:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: on 6th which is a par 3 the card says 197, i got 208 on the range finder used driver and wedge:LOL::cry:

sunshine

Visit site
Neither! :LOL: Just that too many courses are a pale shadow of themselves from the red tees.

Ive noticed this. Red tees seem to be designed to cater for very high handicap women, imagine can't be a challenge for anyone who can actually hit the ball properly. For example my club has a par three which is 205 off the whites, 195 off the yellows and 125 off the Reds. That's not a comparable level of difficulty

D

Deleted member 3432

i wish someone would tell our head green keeper.. last year in one of the few very back tee members comps not only did he stick every tee at the very very back, he aso stuck the flags on all the high point s of the greens as he'd seen a forcaste for Rain... he didn'y worry about the 30MPH plus wind:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: on 6th which is a par 3 the card says 197, i got 208 on the range finder used driver and wedge:LOL::cry:

I bet that was a fun day...:ROFLMAO:

Common sense right out of the window.