Playing in an Open, deliberately off the wrong tees

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in an Open at The Roxburghe in Kelso yesterday. Quality course but 6,925yds off the whites in a strong wind. We jokingly commented on the 1st that we should just play off the yellows and enjoy ourselves rather than struggle off the whites. By the end of the 18 we all came off tired, drained and a little beaten up. We all commented that we would play the course again off the yellows but would not come back if it was whites only. No one wavered on that.

So, has anyone actually done what we joked about? Sized up a course, realised the degree of difficulty (added to by weather conditions) and decided to dq yourselves and play for fun off more suitable tees? If not, would you?

Grizzly

Visit site
On the one hand, I am lead to believe that these things are okay if you just adjust your expectations for what you should hope to score against par. On the other, I just looked up the scorecard, added some wind and wept a little inside - that's a course designed to beat you up. I think I'd have taken the yellow tees and tried to enjoy my investment on the green fee!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Neither! :LOL: Just that too many courses are a pale shadow of themselves from the red tees.
Does your club give you the choice.
We have a Lancashire girl at ours who plays off the whites with us and her dad.
She is an exceptional player but dosnt like the reds as it’s almost 1000yds shorter.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you ask the starter?
That’s just stupid long for most ams.
But the tee of the day is what they tell you and must have been a term of entry.
So if it’s a full sheet they could say you were denying another fourball a competitive game.
With the weather we have had that yardage suggests they don’t want anyone scoring silly scores.
Not sure of the etiquette of playing off 18 wrong tees though it’s a very good idea for most of us.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I played in an open at Royal Ashdown last year, off the whites. We had an old chap in our group who stood absolutely no chance of reaching the fairway on a couple of drives. I can't imagine he really enjoyed the day too much.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did you ask the starter?
That’s just stupid long for most ams.
But the tee of the day is what they tell you and must have been a term of entry.
So if it’s a full sheet they could say you were denying another fourball a competitive game.
With the weather we have had that yardage suggests they don’t want anyone scoring silly scores.
Not sure of the etiquette of playing off 18 wrong tees though it’s a very good idea for most of us.
There was not a starter to ask but we didn't seriously consider it, it was a throwaway comment at the time.

I agree it goes against the spirit of the Open and I would not want to be barred nor thrown off part way around. The course plus weather just threw up the thought afterwards.

It was perhaps a lesson to choose our Opens more carefully in future but equally they offer a chance to play courses at a much cheaper rate, a third in this instance, and so that is mighty tempting.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had a shot gun start charity event once. We played off yellows and the lady off the reds

Half way round I noticed the group in front play off whites I said guys I think we been playing off the wrong tees!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have considered doing the opposite and playing from further back. Didn't do it but couldn't rule it out in certain circumstances.
did just that at the Spey Valley open about 10 years ago. played the year before and it was off the whites, turned up the next year and while practice putting i noticed everyone went off the yellows, starter told me it had changed because everyone had complained the year before that it was too hard. also said nothing to stop you playing from the whites, so i did. 0.1 and a DQ but i wanted to test myself against the course

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played in an open at Royal Ashdown last year, off the whites. We had an old chap in our group who stood absolutely no chance of reaching the fairway on a couple of drives. I can't imagine he really enjoyed the day too much.
This is where the slope system would help.
So all tees in use, just pick your tee according to ability.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I played in an Open at The Roxburghe in Kelso yesterday. Quality course but 6,925yds off the whites in a strong wind. We jokingly commented on the 1st that we should just play off the yellows and enjoy ourselves rather than struggle off the whites. By the end of the 18 we all came off tired, drained and a little beaten up. We all commented that we would play the course again off the yellows but would not come back if it was whites only. No one wavered on that.

So, has anyone actually done what we joked about? Sized up a course, realised the degree of difficulty (added to by weather conditions) and decided to dq yourselves and play for fun off more suitable tees? If not, would you?
you must have known how long the course was before entering, so can't have been suprised it was a long course ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
you must have known how long the course was before entering, so can't have been suprised it was a long course ?
You are right, we knew it would be a test, the length was not a surprise. What you don't know about a new course are the undulations which lengthen it, the bunkering which leaded to needing big carrys onto greens.

What you really can't account for, no one can, is the strong winds which made some holes very hard going. That made a stern but acceptable test into something far more taxing. It just pushed it over the edge.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes, the overall length is quite a crude guide. I've turned up at a few courses intending to play off a particular set of tees and moved forward due to windy conditions. Per your OP, you don't have that luxury in an organised comp.
Yes, you are absolutely right.

Incidentally, this is for others not Kaz, I am not complaining about the course or the competition. It was a tough, long course. We knew that when booking, it was not a surprise. It was a chance to see how nice it was. The answer was it's very nice. The wind was the real difference and there is nothing that the organisers, golfers etc can do about that.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I've got a mate who played an open at Seaton Carew in a howling gale. He was 19 over after 6 holes and while he didn't change tees he did bin his card and played the rest of the round as a social one.

On a different note.The one and only time I played the Roxburgh we were behind a society, for 5 hours. I'm not going back.

D

Deleted member 3432

Far too long a set up for handicap golfers especially in the soft conditions like we have currently not even taking any wind into account.

Only going to lead to a long round of golf and general lack of enjoyment.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When playing a long course in tough conditions you have to reassess your expectations of what a good score for the day will be.

The SSS for the course was already a few over the par of the course. Add a few strokes onto your handicap in your head.

The wind will bring the winning score down.

Crack on and try to shoot the best score you can.

You might even win with a score less than 36 points.

Grizzly

Visit site
What you really can't account for, no one can, is the strong winds which made some holes very hard going. That made a stern but acceptable test into something far more taxing. It just pushed it over the edge.

On a similar note, the wife and I went walking in Kent last week - along the stretch of coast that borders St Goerges, Cinque Ports and Princes to be precise. The gusts were circa 50mph and I reckon some of the holes into them would have been as close to unplayable as you could really get!