Playing cricket and golf mutually exclusive?

sunshine

Visit site
I loved playing cricket, probably the sport I had the most aptitude for as well.

Sadly it's just not compatible with a relationship, or kids. The wife moans about golf taking ages, can't imagine what she would say if I was still playing cricket :ROFLMAO:

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
I loved playing cricket, probably the sport I had the most aptitude for as well.

Sadly it's just not compatible with a relationship, or kids. The wife moans about golf taking ages, can't imagine what she would say if I was still playing cricket :ROFLMAO:
When my first child was about a year old I asked my wife if I could play cricket again (gave it up at Uni). She said yes. First game I left house at 10am and returned about 1am. Next day she said she was a like a single parent. The kit (which I had spent about £500 updating) was put back on top of the wardrobe and not brought down again for about 5 years ?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

my wife love coming down to Clarence park to watch me play on a nice summer afternoon, well thats what she said and it did have a bar.

i suppose the main thing iwas its 6 months at best in the UK, and then there would always be the odd game rained off.

many's the weekend where i went to nets on a friday night, came home half cut, league game on a sat, and stay out till 3am, came home pissed then play 100 over sunday game and need the weeks rest at work to recover:LOL:

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yep, played cricket all my life with golf being the odd game, social thing with a couple of mates however cricket was the main sport. Played league cricket on a Saturday and Sunday and depending on where the away team was it would mean being out of the house from 10:00am until 10:00pm on a Saturday. On a Sunday it wasn't quite as bad as they were 50 over affairs so usually finished a bit early. My girlfriend (now wife) put up with it for a fair while however the murmurings started as to whether an entire weekend of cricket was particularly fair! As luck would have it (for her) the cricket team started to fall apart as everyone reached marriage/child age so that ended that. Started playing golf a bit more seriously as domestic management didn't mind so much as it was an early start and back in before lunch.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my wife love coming down to Clarence park to watch me play on a nice summer afternoon, well thats what she said and it did have a bar.

i suppose the main thing iwas its 6 months at best in the UK, and then there would always be the odd game rained off.

many's the weekend where i went to nets on a friday night, came home half cut, league game on a sat, and stay out till 3am, came home pissed then play 100 over sunday game and need the weeks rest at work to recover:LOL:

There were worse places to play than Clarence Park :)

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I still play cricket at 60 - if the season actually happens. I am a bowler and always found that my golf on Tuesday or Wednesday was not so good. Working shifts meant that if I played over the weekend, I was at work midweek and vice versa. That was great until I retirement 4 years ago. Now I have to balance when I am due to play comps.
I still play because my sons play in the same team on Sundays ( 32 and 29). I tend to say that I will always fill in when there is a gap but there is a gap most weeks. I still love bowling but I want everyone to get a game too.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site

My wife and kids always came along to my games. My wife took kids to their games when I was at work and even now it is a way of the whole family getting together ( sorry - not at present- not quite sure when we will start this season)

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played and it was golf that ruined my cricket!

As a batsman I always struggled with my backlift being too high and inside the line (bit like a golf swing). As a result when you faced a quick bowler I was struggling to get the bat back down in time and square. Played a decent standard of cricket for a while and was never able to fix the timing / alignment problem completely.

sunshine

Visit site
My wife and kids always came along to my games. My wife took kids to their games when I was at work and even now it is a way of the whole family getting together ( sorry - not at present- not quite sure when we will start this season)

I'm amazed at all these people with dutiful wives who follow their husband around and support their hobbies. Mine has always had her own interests / hobbies. Can I swap? :LOL:

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm amazed at all these people with dutiful wives who follow their husband around and support their hobbies. Mine has always had her own interests / hobbies. Can I swap? :LOL:
There were other wives , kids , sunny days, a bit of wine. It showed too in their following of the game - eg - We bowled a side out before tea and one of our side said to my wife "Good catch that Mark took Elaine eh?" Her reaction was "Was it? Must have missed that"