Playing cricket and golf mutually exclusive?

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi. I am at a stage in my life (44 years old, 2 kids) were playing (Pre-COVID19) both cricket and golf is proving difficult (physically but mainly logistically and practically). Has anyone else faced this dilemma of trying to play both? If yes, did one get the chop?

sussexhacker

Visit site
I play both in the summer
I’m not a member of a golf club and don’t really enjoy weekend golf anyway so for me it’s perfect I can play a round or 2 after work midweek then play Saturday cricket with family time Sunday

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yep... is the short answer... played cricket all my life until I was 30 odd when the golf bug bit. Started playing golf with our kid and slowly but surely the cricket went by the wayside.
The longer days and even longer recovery (dodgy shoulder) became harder and then justifying paying golf subs as well forced me into jibbing the competitive cricket.
If I am honest, the only thing I really miss with the cricket is the crack with the lads. Waking up on a rainy Saturday looking at the prospect of driv8ng an d sitting around or pushing covers on and off I certainly don’t miss...

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I had to stop cricket in my 30s as my knees were shot to bits... in my 20s I was playing full time for a while and wore them out!

I think a bad cricket shot was a good golf shot and vice versa! The slog over cow corner was a decent golf swing and a good cover drive is a a no no golf shot!

Mind you, I never saw anything like some of the 20/20 shots you see now... it has changed totally

Cricket meant being away for a few days or all day....golf you can start early and be back before you're missed!!

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yep... is the short answer... played cricket all my life until I was 30 odd when the golf bug bit. Started playing golf with our kid and slowly but surely the cricket went by the wayside.
The longer days and even longer recovery (dodgy shoulder) became harder and then justifying paying golf subs as well forced me into jibbing the competitive cricket.
If I am honest, the only thing I really miss with the cricket is the crack with the lads. Waking up on a rainy Saturday looking at the prospect of driv8ng an d sitting around or pushing covers on and off I certainly don’t miss...
I couldn’t have explained my thinking any better. I love cricket but play a low level. Craic is great but playing at grounds with more dog turd than grass is not a highlight.

D

Deleted member 18588

Played both until just short of my fiftieth birthday when yet another injury made me accept I had perhaps better give up cricket.

I fulfilled one ambition as, despite not having kids until I was 34 & 35, I was able to play in the same team as my two sons. They each started playing adult league cricket at age 13 and so managed a few games together before they were spirited off to County Premier League clubs.

Had they not started at such a young age I think I would probably have stopped cricket a few years earlier as it does take a large chunk out of the weekend.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Yup. I played cricket and golf until the first kid came along. Then had to choose 1.

I stuck with cricket for a time and then swapped to golf.

I’ve pretty much retired from cricket now and only play the presidents game and even then I refuse to bowl. Bat 3, swing from ball 1 and my son fields for me while I have a beer and watch on. Bowling was hard work and my back is wrecked from it.

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Played both until just short of my fiftieth birthday when yet another injury made me accept I had perhaps better give up cricket.

I fulfilled one ambition as, despite not having kids until I was 34 & 35, I was able to play in the same team as my two sons. They each started playing adult league cricket at age 13 and so managed a few games together before they were spirited off to County Premier League clubs.

Had they not started at such a young age I think I would probably have stopped cricket a few years earlier as it does take a large chunk out of the weekend.
My son is only 10 but showing potential with the bat. I have harboured aspirations to play in the same team as him too. Our Sunday teams always looking for players so think that can still happen without me having to keep playing Saturday league until he is old enough.

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yup. I played cricket and golf until the first kid came along. Then had to choose 1.

I stuck with cricket for a time and then swapped to golf.

I’ve pretty much retired from cricket now and only play the presidents game and even then I refuse to bowl. Bat 3, swing from ball 1 and my son fields for me while I have a beer and watch on. Bowling was hard work and my back is wrecked from it.
Sorted!!!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I played until I hit 29ish..by then the right knee was knackered and I had other priorities that could not afford me being away for, virtually, the whole day
Golf took over as it was 4- 5 hours max (including the bar).
That was 25+ years ago - not sure I'd remember which end of the bat to hold or how to bowl the inswinging Yorker I was so fond of.

Captainron

Visit site
My son is only 10 but showing potential with the bat. I have harboured aspirations to play in the same team as him too. Our Sunday teams always looking for players so think that can still happen without me having to keep playing Saturday league until he is old enough.
I did promise the club that I would play with my son when he was old enough for senior cricket. He’s 12 now but he plays for the county so he’s okay to play even though he isn’t 13 yet. I’m hoping to hold off for another year.
Even then I’ve told them that I’m batting up the order and fielding at slip and maybe cover if we have to keep runs down.

Captainron

Visit site
I played until I hit 29ish..by then the right knee was knackered and I had other priorities that could not afford me being away for, virtually, the whole day
Golf took over as it was 4- 5 hours max (including the bar).
That was 25+ years ago - not sure I'd remember which end of the bat to hold or how to bowl the inswinging Yorker I was so fond of.
Yup. Cricket was a whole day thing.
Leave home at around 10am. Walk up to the club. Mess around and have a chat for a bit. Help get the ground prepared (ropes, stumps etc) have a brew or two. Warm up. Match. Loads of ale and then into town. Stagger home at 2 or 3 am. Every weekend for the whole of summer

Wonder why she hated it so much :ROFLMAO:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have a mate who has gone through the cricket/golf event horizon.
Two things swing it to golf for him.
Firstly, he regularly injured himself playing cricket (he was around 50 at the time, but thought he was 25), which meant he couldn't play either.
Secondly, he was a good cricketer, and therefore realised his best days were well behind him. As a relatively new golfer he enjoyed the process of getting better and becoming competitive. That's a much more positive way to approach one's leisure activities.
Like all of us who played team sport, there's a hole that'll never quite be filled, but he seems at peace with his new reality.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Leave home at around 10am. Walk up to the club. Mess around and have a chat for a bit. Help get the ground prepared (ropes, stumps etc) have a brew or two. Warm up. Match. Loads of ale and then into town. Stagger home at 2 or 3 am. Every weekend for the whole of summer

Did we play on the same team..?:ROFLMAO:

The Gentleman

Medal Winner
Visit site
I have a mate who has gone through the cricket/golf event horizon.
Two things swing it to golf for him.
Firstly, he regularly injured himself playing cricket (he was around 50 at the time, but thought he was 25), which meant he couldn't play either.
Secondly, he was a good cricketer, and therefore realised his best days were well behind him. As a relatively new golfer he enjoyed the process of getting better and becoming competitive. That's a much more positive way to approach one's leisure activities.
Like all of us who played team sport, there's a hole that'll never quite be filled, but he seems at peace with his new reality.
Great way of looking at it. I too suffer from my 25 year old brain telling me to dive for a ball, but my 44 year old body saying wtf as the knee swells to the size of a ?

D

Deleted member 18588

I did promise the club that I would play with my son when he was old enough for senior cricket. He’s 12 now but he plays for the county so he’s okay to play even though he isn’t 13 yet. I’m hoping to hold off for another year.
Even then I’ve told them that I’m batting up the order and fielding at slip and maybe cover if we have to keep runs down.

It's great until you are batting together and the lad thinks it's a good idea to call " Two!"

They don't realise that's 40 odd yards with a turn halfway.

With my knees!?!

As for the boys playing for the county that really does stretch the Dad Taxi Service. With two in different age groups I dread to think how many miles my wife and I covered.

Finding time for golf became harder and harder.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

THIS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

whole day? we went up the club friday night and came back early hours of monday morning (via the curry house obviously) every weekend, plus midweek nets, selection meetings, pool night etc etc the disgust when she would turn up at 9pm on a saturday night having been promised we'd go out and Id still be in my whites having "just one more, i only see them once a year" with the oppo :eek:

I played at a decent level till we moved area when I was 29 but decided that was enough then that I didnt want to go through joining a new club etc (not to mention the body was breaking) and started playing golf more competitively again not to mention giving mrs fundy a look in too

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
It would be for me because I've never had the privilege of seeing an actual cricket pitch.
Also, my eating neatness doesn't suggest that I should wear white clothes. (I did have a beautiful Panama suit when I was about seven or eight.)

I understand that the cricket matches last for days, but given my saintly tolerance for slow golf, that probably wouldn't put me off.