Player behaviour at the Ryder cup.

c1pjr

Hacker
Visit site
There is a certain level or rowdiness that would be acceptable on the course, but at the end of the day, you are still on a golf course so they should definitely be more reserved than in previous times

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As much as people complain, it creates a spectacle, of themselves and the Ryder cup as a whole! USA USA USA YOUESSAY!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
For me over 3 days this is now the biggest sporting event in the world,players get caught up in
the atmosphere.
As we all know Americans love themselves and think they are bigger than anyone else.
I think Poulter get up their noses and in fact I would love him to get in their faces even more.
Bradley was worse last year and when Rory beat him in the singles he should have done
something to really rub it in.
Look at some of the European fans,imagine being in that crowd,even if you was quiet as a mouse
in real life I bet you would struggle to contain yourself.
When men cry over a sporting event its no wonder they go OTT.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Its the only event where golfers act a little bit more like footballers. Its once every 2 years ..... I dont like it but I can forgive them. Its an emotive competition and with the pressure they are under I cant blame them. Its part of what has made the Ryder cup the pinnacle that it is.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I love it, and hope we show that emotion more too. It's fantastic to watch as a fan. It shows the passion, so long may it continue. Love the Ryder Cup.

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ian Poulter said in his interview in "Europe's Postman" on SS4 that there is a part of him that wanted to be a footballer which rears it's head every 2 years at the Ryder Cup. I think the team mentality kicks in.

gdunc79

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I find it strange to be honest. It is as if they use the Ryder cup to release all the emotions that they would like to release when hitting great shots at their weekly tournaments but can't do for fear of being called a dick. You can get away with almost anything at the Ryder Cup it seems.

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's really something I don't like about golf and it's becoming more prevalent. Give me a classy Els or Langer style wave and touch of the cap anytime.

I've played against kids in scratch team matches who go in for the touching of knuckles when they hole a putt etc. Knobs.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I think uits great that the players get so immersed in the Ryder Cup. I think it wouldnt be quite the same without the passion from the players and the spectators. Only happens every two years so I am all for it

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
TBH, Poulter's antics a very low key compared to the incident i've just watched on sky, I'm surprised Overton didn't do himself an injury;)

I watched that this morning, Bubba looks like he 's having a fit at the same time, caught up in the moment i think, but really making rear ends of themselves.:whoo: Go Europe

D

Deleted member 15344

Think it's great when the players lose it a little

Lots of pressure and intensity around the Ryder Cup and every point is crucial and the players know that hence the big release of celebrations

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think a lot of the OTT stuff got reeled in after Brookline but we seem to be heading back down that route.

Dont get me wrong, I want to see as much honest sincere passion as I can but Theres certain players that are treading a fine line between this and the annoying crap that's designed to get under the opponents skin in the guise of Passion.

It might not bother some but I just find acting like a dick just to put your opponent off a bit ugly.

Im not a fan of the Solheim Cup for this reason. Theres no fine line there, it's Totally blatant, really annoying and a little bit childish.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I watched that this morning, Bubba looks like he 's having a fit at the same time, caught up in the moment i think, but really making rear ends of themselves.:whoo: Go Europe

I'm pretty sure I've seen an interview where Bubba says they were trying to get themselves pumped up, and he acknowledged that they looked like idiots.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't like it whether it's the Ryder Cup or not. I just find it cringe-worthy and much prefer a more subtle display of pleasure which I always take to read "what's the big deal - I was always going to nail it"! Sure celebrate in style on the last hole/shot which wins the Cup but otherwise a muted fist pump or "get in" is more than enough :)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It's a thin line. Everyone agreed after Brookline that it had gone too far, and 9/11 made a big impact. But if they politely shook hands and said 'well played sir' all the time then it would lose a lot of it's attraction.

It's one tournament, and as long as the crowd are not hurling abuse at the players then I have no problem at all with players showing emotion. At least it means they care. I bet the US team does not behave like that in The Presidents Cup as they all know it doesn't really matter and no one is bothered.

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slightly off topic but Tom Watson's powerful deep authoritative voice and then you get Paul McGinley's whiny voice during the naming of their respective squads. :rofl::rofl: