Played with a rules 'expert'

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Not me, but my mate on Saturday was paired with a guy that imparted his knowledge of the rules during the round.

There were 3 or 4 he mentioned, but I can't remember the others after hearing this cracker.

If you putt and leave the ball a couple of inches past the hole, you can't reach across with your putter and tap it back towards you into the hole unless you're standing on one leg.

I jest ye not. :rofl:

G

guest100718

Not me, but my mate on Saturday was paired with a guy that imparted his knowledge of the rules during the round.

There were 3 or 4 he mentioned, but I can't remember the others after hearing this cracker.

If you putt and leave the ball a couple of inches past the hole, you can't reach across with your putter and tap it back towards you into the hole unless you're standing on one leg.

I have been pulled up on that one a couple of times. Altough not the one legged bit...

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site

Is he on about the croquet type stroke or something Gar ? rule 16/1 (e) or something re a stance astride the line of a putt ? im sure the gurus will set it straight shortly

edited to put in the /1(e) bit , had to look it up ha

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
16-1e does not apply as the Line of Putt does not extend beyond the hole. So there is no breach for standing anywhere behind the hole.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Each such myth should require a documented contribution to The Captain's Charity! And a beer for whoever was the 'victim'!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site

Think he was pulling YOUR leg! :)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

You are allowed to do that while wearing plus fours and/or those diamond pattern socks, though.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe I'll trawl through this place for all the rules that turned out to be myths - or just myth-takes - gather them together and mix in some strange but true correct rulings for a Captain's Charity Quiz Evening at my club.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe I'll trawl through this place for all the rules that turned out to be myths - or just myth-takes - gather them together and mix in some strange but true correct rulings for a Captain's Charity Quiz Evening at my club.

Good idea. Don't mention that it's a rules quiz though because you will outnumber the entrants.

Here's a few I hear far too often:

1. Removing a leaf from a tree on a practice swing is always a penalty.
2. You don't get relief from an abnormal ground condition if you haven't got a full swing without it there.
3. You can't move anything on the green if your ball isn't on it.
4. You can't putt while holding the flag.
5. Relief from a water hazard includes dropping the ball anywhere on the line it went in on.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Good idea. Don't mention that it's a rules quiz though because you will outnumber the entrants.

Here's a few I hear far too often:

1. Removing a leaf from a tree on a practice swing is always a penalty.
2. You don't get relief from an abnormal ground condition if you haven't got a full swing without it there.
3. You can't move anything on the green if your ball isn't on it.
4. You can't putt while holding the flag.
5. Relief from a water hazard includes dropping the ball anywhere on the line it went in on.
Last year I was pulled up by a 25 handicap fellow competitor for marking my ball on a green with a tee peg. He alleged that this was 'testing the green'. To make matters worse, he was backed up by my other fellow competitor who was a 28 handicapper. I pointed out that if you are not allowed to stick anything into the green, how are you allowed to repair pitch marks with a pitch mark repairer. I also showed him the rule for testing the green in the rule book, but he was adamant that I had infringed the rules, so two scores were recorded on my card and it was put to the committee to decide the correct one when returning my card. Unsurprisingly they found in my favour.

This is another common urban myth that you can only mark a ball with a disk or a small coin. This is a recommendation in the rules, but actually you can use almost anything. Brian Barnes was known to have marked his ball with a beer can in a pro tournament! :mmm:

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Last year I was pulled up by a 25 handicap fellow competitor for marking my ball on a green with a tee peg. He alleged that this was 'testing the green'. To make matters worse, he was backed up by my other fellow competitor who was a 28 handicapper. I pointed out that if you are not allowed to stick anything into the green, how are you allowed to repair pitch marks with a pitch mark repairer. I also showed him the rule for testing the green in the rule book, but he was adamant that I had infringed the rules, so two scores were recorded on my card and it was put to the committee to decide the correct one when returning my card. Unsurprisingly they found in my favour.

This is another common urban myth that you can only mark a ball with a disk or a small coin. This is a recommendation in the rules, but actually you can use almost anything. Brian Barnes was known to have marked his ball with a beer can in a pro tournament! :mmm:

We have an 'Auction Fourball' comp in a couple of weeks time - a Saturday better ball comp with a meal the evening before when the auction is done. Most good players play in this comp (as there are big side bets and a big winners pot) - and so sticking in a short 'quiz' as part of that evening might be fun :)

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What do their handicaps have to do with anything?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What do their handicaps have to do with anything?

Implication is that they would not have been playing the game for that long and so it is rather presumptuous of them to be so adamant in their claiming to know the rules to the extent that the poster has to record two scores.

G

guest100718

I hit my ball in to a dryed out hazard, walked in, picked it up and dropped as per rule. FC was adamant I should have marked the position of the ball before I picked it up.... I asked him how I would have done this had the ditich been full of water...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Last week I played with one of our other ladies, on one green I had a long putt, it was only a practice round so I putted up with the flag still in the hole. She said if it had been in a comp would have been penalised. I said t was only if the ball hit the flag. She said "well that's not what xxxx told me, and she has been playing for years so should know"

We then got talking about rules and it certainly appeared that there are several at our club who are adamant about rules, even though they are wrong, but because they have been playing a long time, newer members believe them and the myth gets passed on.

If I am uncertain, I will always look them up and if I am not happy with something I get told I will always double check.

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Implication is that they would not have been playing the game for that long and so it is rather presumptuous of them to be so adamant in their claiming to know the rules to the extent that the poster has to record two scores.

Well, it doesn't necessarily follow that someone off 25/28 hasn't been playing long. It's possible but it's not a given.

And there's no reason why a 25/28 h/capper shouldn't be adamant about the rules, so long as they're right. On this occasion they weren't, but that's nothing to do with their h/cs, that's just because they don't know the rules.

The post smacked of h/c snobbery to me.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well, it doesn't necessarily follow that someone off 25/28 hasn't been playing long. It's possible but it's not a given.

And there's no reason why a 25/28 h/capper shouldn't be adamant about the rules, so long as they're right. On this occasion they weren't, but that's nothing to do with their h/cs, that's just because they don't know the rules.

The post smacked of h/c snobbery to me.

I don't disagree.