Played my first Course Today questions?

Prodavid116

Visit site
Played my first ever round on a golf course today , i was teeing off with 3 Iron as im not too good with Driver Yet, then mainly using Irons and pitching Wedge depending, i was going okay but a lot of time i would hit the ball and it would just skim across the ground which i guess im not hitting it low enough , but is it normal for most iron shots for the grass to go flying with the ball if it is great but i got a bit nervous about ruin the grass but every time i hit a iron off the fairway and it went quite a distance the grass would go with it , but overall im happy with my first ever game i lost 6 balls on a 9 hole but the leaves are dropping a lot so makes it a lot harder to see.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Well done , it’s always a bit daunting first time out.

If you are topping the ball , watch your weight transfer, , it could be that At impact, all your weight is on your right leg ( assuming right handed) whereas you should have most on your left

Also don’t lean back at impact

Look on YouTube for some videos from Rick Shiels , he covers this specifically

Good luck

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You need to take Some grass or divot with an iron shot .
It is the correct way,
you can just skim the grass both good. As long as you get the club under the ball.
Just don’t forget to put your divot back if you do take one.
It’s part of the game don’t be scared of taking a divot.!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As per clubchamp

Taking grass is the correct shot (in the main) but the important bit is that you should be taking a grass divot after you hit the ball.