Playable winter courses

kev831

Visit site
Does anybody know where to find some decent winter golf in the east of Hertfordshire area? Most of the areas courses seem to be on good old London clay and resemble playing on a swamp. I am sure that links and heathland courses would deliver something more palatable than most of our parkland courses, but there's none within easy striking distance.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Does anybody know where to find some decent winter golf in the east of Hertfordshire area? Most of the areas courses seem to be on good old London clay and resemble playing on a swamp. I am sure that links and heathland courses would deliver something more palatable than most of our parkland courses, but there's none within easy striking distance.
Bit of a strange question as all English courses are shut at the present time?

kev831

Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys. I've been fed up playing 'swampy golf' since winter kicked in and am certainly planning for when we can get back out there. If C19 drags on for too long before we are allowed to play again then the courses may have dried out naturally!
However if a miracle occurs and we can play mid/late February then I may have to explore the suggestions made. I have played Royston, which is on Therfield Heath, so should be good and dry, and Dunstable Downs looks like a great option.
Please keep the suggestions coming if you know any reasonably priced options within striking distance of east Herts.

Yant

Head Pro
Visit site
Not Hertfordshire, but my home club in Cambridge is pretty much bone dry all year. Worth a visit (when golf reopens and visitor/guests are allowed again).