Good Courses In Winter - Berkshire/Surrey

petema99

Visit site
Sorry if my point offended as that wasn’t the intention. Dry courses this time of year are in very short supply, that seemed to be your main request and courses that know they dry will not be selling GF’s at 30.00-40.00.

Being from the outskirts of Greater London in Surrey, guest green fees at any local course is 40/50 minimum, even crown golf are charging 40.00 for addington court and that’s a bog…. And it’s fully booked.

Is it not cheaper to sign you pp in as a guest if you’re a member?

Golf really has become ridiculous since the pandemic - played a few rounds at Addington Court when I first started playing a few years ago and was paying about £10/12 a round for either course in May/June! That's also probably just about all it's worth in my view....

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golf really has become ridiculous since the pandemic - played a few rounds at Addington Court when I first started playing a few years ago and was paying about £10/12 a round for either course in May/June! That's also probably just about all it's worth in my view....

They’ve just closed the complete site for 2 weeks just to rest it as it’s worn out through covid increased play. We played there last winter on a Sunday morning on falcon wood, 40.00 bloody quid!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
…plus clubs in these areas know that they can charge a bit more for member subs in order to reduce any reliance on visitor green fees. It’s not that we don’t want visitors, we do, but we don‘t want to have to rely on visitors through the door. Our subs this year are £1740…and we have as long a waiting list as anyone can remember…hence, and consistent with all equivalent clubs in the area, our Winter weekday visitors green fee is £60…£200 for a four ball, still not bad value I might suggest.

We are just down the road and are the same. 2-3 year waiting list now it’s mental!

Smokey Lomcevak

Visit site
Another vote for Clandon. Chalky downland. It’s not long but it is fun and interesting in parts, and generally very good value. I also continue to be impressed by Pyrford Lakes. It is always going to be more vulnerable with so much water around, but it is still playing pretty well, and compares well to the likes of Sutton Green and Silvermere after recent visits.

It might also be worth keeping an eye on Sunningdale Heath once we get a bit more daylight. It was £40 each for a Saturday afternoon round a couple of years ago. Dry, short, quick fun with a bit of heather for good measure.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another vote for Clandon. Chalky downland. It’s not long but it is fun and interesting in parts, and generally very good value. I also continue to be impressed by Pyrford Lakes. It is always going to be more vulnerable with so much water around, but it is still playing pretty well, and compares well to the likes of Sutton Green and Silvermere after recent visits.

It might also be worth keeping an eye on Sunningdale Heath once we get a bit more daylight. It was £40 each for a Saturday afternoon round a couple of years ago. Dry, short, quick fun with a bit of heather for good measure.

I fancy a trip to sunningdale Heath in spring

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My place (Farnham) generally drains quickly and well - except that is for during periods of very heavy and continuous rain. When that happens we can get runoff from fields that we cannot control, and that can fill up our one main flood holding area as it comes in across one hole then can flood across four - very occasionally (pretty rarely in fact) meaning we can play a loop of four holes.

To address this we have a major winter remodelling programme this year for these holes that will not only improve the holes both visually and as a challenge, but will very significantly expand our rain flood water management and holding capacity to enable us to keep the holes open even in the most trying of rainfall periods.

Having these holes out of play has only been a very rare event in recent years, but we want to make it a thing of the past, even if changes in our climate brings such periods along more frequently than historically.

Most of the time our track is nice and dry.

Last edited:

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Am booked in to play Woking & Worplesdon in November, think they hold up pretty well? ~£90 each seems relatively reasonable for them compared to what other 'lesser' courses are charging? Just guessing though as not yet played them.

TerryA

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Milford was only £20 when I played it in April. It was quite enjoyable and certainly worth the fee. Betchwoth park was also good - using a county card reduces the price.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if your after a cheap round have a look at Clandon (not regis) it is next door to Gulidford and also on chalk, its pay and play, and no clubhouse but a few nice holes.

I played Clandon recently during a wet spell and the course was dry. However, apart from the three or four holes around the quarry, it was extremely bland.

MACM85

Visit site
Hurtmore golf club near Godalming drains well. Will be around the £30 mark. Isn't the longest but perfectly playable

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
Played Sunningdale Heath last week and it was in absolutely superb condition, cracking little course and I can imagine it holds up really well in the wet.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Am booked in to play Woking & Worplesdon in November, think they hold up pretty well? ~£90 each seems relatively reasonable for them compared to what other 'lesser' courses are charging? Just guessing though as not yet played them.
Pretty sure that all three of the W's hold up well in the winter and £90 seems pretty good for top 100 courses these days.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
I played Clandon recently during a wet spell and the course was dry. However, apart from the three or four holes around the quarry, it was extremely bland.

Yes, Those were the holes i was thinking of, But for £20-£25 a round there isn't anything else that cheap in Surrey.

Last edited:

carldudley

Visit site
More London than Surrey/Berkshire but I don't know anywhere that plays as well as Wimbledon Common in the winter (reason i moved here). Even as a member i squint at the £40 weekend green fee.

D

Deleted member 23270

Might be worth looking on golfnow to see what deals are available locally, they tend to cater for the budget end of the market.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Hampton Court may be a little further than you want, but it drains incredibly well. I have only seen standing water once. Not muddy at all

TeeRev

Visit site
Does anyone know what Surrey National is like in the winter, it's just about as far as we would go from Seaford for a day trip and they are offering £30 rounds for fourballs on Mondays and Tuesdays.