Play r/handed but putt L/handed?

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is there anyone out there that does this?

I'm left handed for writing and left footed when playing football, I also play racket sports with the racket in my left hand, but I play golf right handed as it just felt more natural. It's the same for cricket, r/handed.

The other day whilst out on the course during a practice round, I hit a few putts with the back of my putter in a L/handed stance and my stroke felt a lot more solid. I use the traditional interlocking grip, like the middle one in this picture and didn't change it to play the left handed stroke, so my right hand was leading, but the lower of the two hands.

types-of-golf-grips.jpg

I guess because my right arm now became the leading arm it was easier to keep it straight and locked and play the stroke. I know I can do that right handed (i.e. left hand at the bottom of the grip), but it never feels easy/natural.

Has anyone tried this out and seen it work, or should I just focus on playing it r/handed and becoming more consistent with that? I'm not sure if it will really make that much of a difference, or if I am just looking at a quick fix to my putting woes!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
No reason why you can't putt left handed.

Why are you using the grip you describe for putting anyway???? :)

No wonder you are putting badly.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There was a vereran US PGA Tour player who did this. There appears to be an argument for doing this if you are right eye dominant but if you can hole more putts that way to for it.

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No reason why you can't putt left handed.

Why are you using the grip you describe for putting anyway???? :)

No wonder you are putting badly.

I grip my putter in exactly the same way as I grip all my clubs. What would you recommend?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know a guy who had the yips so putted left handed for short ones and right handed for long ones. No gone left-handed for all.

I'm an advocate of 'if it feels more comfortable, then it's better'. I tried left hand low and the shoulders felt better balanced, but it never felt comfortable enough to commit to. It's all about avoiding bad tension imo, whether created physically or mentally.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There's no right or wrong way to putt - or grip!
Do whatever feels best and works best.

I've started practicing putting with just my right hand - surprising how much control you get.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I grip my putter in exactly the same way as I grip all my clubs. What would you recommend?

Few good players grip the putter the same as other clubs. There are loads of articles online about putter grips but a typical one will have the thumbs aiming straight down the grip and the left first finger overlapping the right little one (reverse overlap).

Last edited:

Jimbooo

Challenge Tour Pro
www.gosimply.com
I swing right handed, and putt left handed. Like you I'm left handed in most other things. I look at it as a full swing is a back-hand stroke, whereas a putt is like a delicate forehand stroke. Dunno if that makes sense but feels more comfortable that way for me. I'm also right-eye dominant but whether that makes a difference I've no idea. Left-hand is lower when I putt though.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My mate (off 3 hcap) plays right handed and putts left handed. He swiched to beat the yips and it worked a treat.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site

Yes, sorry for the badly worded comment. I can only speak from experience, but whenever my putting's gone bad, it's always in the grip (or posture). I took a "regular" golf grip to a putting lesson once and the pro kind of laughed at me. My apologies.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally, I wouldn't grip a putter like that but that isn't to say it is wrong. As for putting left handed, again, if it works for you, fill yer boots. I couldn't do it, I'm very much right sided, I can't do anything left handed or footed.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i play right handed but putt left handed. dont do anything else left handed. a mate of mine does the reverse. plays left handed but putts left handed.

Hallsy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im like the OP as im left handed at everything apart from golf and cricket. I putt right handed at present with left hand leading and lower but im going to try left handed as it gives me more feel.

daymond

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I'm predominately left handed. Play right handed and putt left. Had to as I developed an incurable yip putting right handed. I use the Vardon grip with a 'proper' left grip.