Play Left Handed, putt right handed

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Anybody else do something similar? When I said to my brother that recently I'd changed to putting right handed which had really improved my putting from 8ft and in, he was amazed I'd even thought about doing it.

D

Deleted member 1147

I know a guy who does it the other way round (long game righty, putts lefty)
He feels that he is less yippy when he has his stronger hand leading.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I played with a guy many years ago who played right handed, and was a lousy putter. I suggested he putted left handed. He changed, and it transformed his game.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've definitely heard of people doing it. I can see the logic, it's just whether you want your strong hand pushing the club, or pulling the club really. Like forehand or backhand putting in tennis terms.

When you're putting right-handed, do you have right hand below left or left below right?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
two guys at my club do this sort of but the other way round, one has Parkinsons the other just the yips, putting left handed has helped both

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
One of the best players are my club. Scratch man. Has unveiled that he now putts left handed. Says he was practising away at it in secret and now loves it.

Less yippy.

Looks weird seeing him do it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder what makes someone decided to try it - you'd have to actually buy yourself a left-handed putter on a whim just to see if it works wouldn't you?? Unless you have a left-handed mate. :p

NearHull

Visit site
I played in an Open last week, one of the PP played right handed and putted left handed the other played right handed but chipped and putted left handed. Been doing it for many years to cure chipping yips.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a friend, who no longer plays, who did this.
I often got confused about which side of him to stand when it was his turn to play.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The better ball comp I played in today, the other two players. One of them, he was right handed everywhere apart from the green. I couldn't believe it. Worked very well for him. First time I have seen it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Quite obviously it is when so is having putting issues 🙄
Honestly, if I was having problems putting, and I have in the past like most people, it would never even occur to me to try doing it backwards. Had I not read it on here anyway. I'd probably try every grip under the sun, different putters maybe, but I never would have considered doing it left handed. Imagine if you were slicing drives and someone told you to try doing them left handed!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I played in an Open last week, one of the PP played right handed and putted left handed the other played right handed but chipped and putted left handed. Been doing it for many years to cure chipping yips.
That would seem to restrict him to chipping with just one or maybe two clubs.
Surely most people chip with a large variety of clubs that they also use for full shots?

Fabia999

Visit site
I'm a left hander who plays right handed. I think a left handed putter would possibly help but my putting has been okay recently so I don't want to change anything.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That would seem to restrict him to chipping with just one or maybe two clubs.
Surely most people chip with a large variety of clubs that they also use for full shots?
That's a good point. He'd have to chip with just the one club all the time, otherwise he's restricting how many full shot clubs he can have in the bag. :unsure:

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I've definitely heard of people doing it. I can see the logic, it's just whether you want your strong hand pushing the club, or pulling the club really. Like forehand or backhand putting in tennis terms.

When you're putting right-handed, do you have right hand below left or left below right?
Left below right.