Planning for winter heating

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Really depends what you use.

We have an adjustable one that's 1 2 or 3kw heater ..

Set it to 1 KW and it really heats our daughters room if we not using the heating that day

That's what I'm investigating.... My (electric) plan seems to be £0.29 per kWh with the energy company. So buying a 1kwh halogen heater can be easily monitored.

My gas plan is something around the £0.07 kWh range, but then you're heating the whole house so I don't know what the equivalent cost would equate to.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's what I'm investigating.... My (electric) plan seems to be £0.29 per kWh with the energy company. So buying a 1kwh halogen heater can be easily monitored.

My gas plan is something around the £0.07 kWh range, but then you're heating the whole house so I don't know what the equivalent cost would equate to.

That sounds exactly like the price cap..so watch out.

Come October that will rise by a predicted 60% (or more) which electric will be 50p prob and gas pushing 13p

Exact figures nearer time

I managed to fix My gas at 9p until April as a gamble

Electric fixed at 14p until Feb then the fun and games start

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
unfortunately this topic cannot be discussed in its full capacity as to how we got here in the first place because of political decisions made. successive powers that be put all our eggs into one basket re energy being solely supplied by overseas power because it is the cheapest option. We are now were we. I have a feeling that we in the golfing fraternity will manage. My thoughts go to the less wealthy and elderly who will really struggle ☹️

I dreamt that I lived on an island made of coal, and surrounded by seas full of gas and oil! Absolute disgrace that we are so dependent on despot’s.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Has anyone got a wood burning stove? We're looking at redesigning the living room and we fancy installing one in place of the electric fire we never use.

I’ve been trying to get someone in to install one for nearly a year. It’s a pretty big job, needs a hearth and an external flue installation up 3 stories. Can’t get anyone to even come around to look at it. Tried check a trader and rate my builders but everyone seems to busy!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has anyone got a wood burning stove? We're looking at redesigning the living room and we fancy installing one in place of the electric fire we never use.
We haven't but I know a few that have. As others above have mentioned, once going they will heat the whole downstairs and some up, depending on your layout. All from one little fire. With all of the trees that came down from Arwen, there is no shortage of available wood up here either. Pretty much free fuel if you are prepared to make friends with a greenkeeper and get a bit dirty.

We should have done it a few years ago, we may be joining you in getting one in.

greenone

Visit site
We haven't but I know a few that have. As others above have mentioned, once going they will heat the whole downstairs and some up, depending on your layout. All from one little fire. With all of the trees that came down from Arwen, there is no shortage of available wood up here either. Pretty much free fuel if you are prepared to make friends with a greenkeeper and get a bit dirty.

We should have done it a few years ago, we may be joining you in getting one in.
The 60 fir trees that arwen brought should minimise the heating bill for our house for the next 2 or 3 years. Im about halfway through splitting it. Tedious to say the least. Need to replant the wind breaks and add a couple of hedges this winter. Won't be fir trees either.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Yes and no. Don’t bother with just a wood burner. Get a multi fuel burner nigh on exactly the same and the same price Multi fuel will burn coal as well. ?
Wood burns ok but it is not as warm as coal and the coal lasts a lot longer. If you ever down here Al slip a few free bags in the boot to try ?
PS don’t buy a Chinese stove. Something decent like a
Charnwood. ?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes and no. Don’t bother with just a wood burner. Get a multi fuel burner nigh on exactly the same and the same price Multi fuel will burn coal as well. ?
Wood burns ok but it is not as warm as coal and the coal lasts a lot longer. If you ever down here Al slip a few free bags in the boot to try ?
PS don’t buy a Chinese stove. Something decent like a
Charnwood. ?

Funnily enough I’m working near Clipstone tomorrow ???

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Funnily enough I’m working near Clipstone tomorrow ???
Give us a shout and al fill yer boot.?
Joking aside, coz Tash helped keep the lights on and houses warm for 36 years I get free coal. I was seriously thinking of selling it back, but at the moment it would cost a fortune to heat the house so that’s not going to happen for some time.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I use my central heating for 2 hours a day, just to ensure the pipes don't freeze. Normally an hour before I wake up and an hour before bed.
I use my log burner a lot, mainly using a coal substitute which as others have said burns for a lot longer. If its just for an evening then I use wood, which I got when my Dad got rid of a tree on his lawn and a one of his neighbours.