Placing ball after identifying it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My ball has a lump of earth stuck to it just where I will be striking it. I tell my playing partners I wish to mark and lift my ball to identify it. I do so and then replace it as marked and in exact position as it was before being lifted, but with lump of earth on ball on non-striking side.

All OK?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My understanding is that you can only lift the ball to identify it if it is necessary for identification.

So if you actually need to lift it for that purpose it is ok to do so. From the interpretations

14.2c/1 – Ball May Be Replaced in Almost Any Orientation

When replacing a lifted ball on a spot, the Rules are concerned about only the location. The ball may be aligned in any way when being replaced (such as by lining up a trademark) so long as the ball’s vertical distance to the ground remains the same.
For example, when using a Rule that does not allow cleaning, the player lifts his or her ball and there is a piece of mud sticking to it. The ball may be aligned in any way when replacing it on the original spot (such as by rotating the interfering mud towards the hole).
However, the player is not allowed to replace the ball in an alignment so the ball rests on the mud unless that was its position before it was lifted. The “spot” of the ball includes its vertical location relative to the ground.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Who decides the need to lift a ball to identify it? Surely only the player. Who is any other player to say that it is my ball if I do not 100% agree? And who is it that can tell a player that he is only saying that so he can realign his ball?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who decides the need to lift a ball to identify it? Surely only the player. Who is any other player to say that it is my ball if I do not 100% agree? And who is it that can tell a player that he is only saying that so he can realign his ball?

I'm pretty sure that, if I was marking your card, I would challenge you on the need to lift the ball. If you came up with a very plausible reason, fine. If, however, I thought you were trying it on, I would tell you that I would be informing the committee of your actions.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that, if I was marking your card, I would challenge you on the need to lift the ball. If you came up with a very plausible reason, fine. If, however, I thought you were trying it on, I would tell you that I would be informing the committee of your actions.
I thought there was no need to tell fcs Of your intention to lift your ball to check if it's yours anymore.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought there was no need to tell fcs Of your intention to lift your ball to check if it's yours anymore.
7.3 If the player lifts his or her ball under this Rule when not reasonably necessary to identify it ...., the player gets one penalty stroke.

Charlie_B1981

Medal Winner
Visit site
Your right in that you don’t need to announce in advance now, but if I were near and could see the markings already I’d be asking what other markings they hope to see that are different from those visible, Very few people would have different marks on the opposite side. If said markings weren’t there- then lost ball, if suddenly they claimed it was only on one side after placing it to gain advantage-I’d be having a further word in a different manner.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Your right in that you don’t need to announce in advance now, but if I were near and could see the markings already I’d be asking what other markings they hope to see that are different from those visible, Very few people would have different marks on the opposite side. If said markings weren’t there- then lost ball, if suddenly they claimed it was only on one side after placing it to gain advantage-I’d be having a further word in a different manner.
I've no reason to doubt the integrity of the op.
Can't say I've ever seen anyone use this particular rule to cheat with and I've seen a few cheaters over the years.
I've seen it used incorrectly many times though.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
As long as you are happy that you have not contravened 7.2 - and you are the only adjudicator of that - then all is ok; otherwise 1 penalty stroke.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
BTW - I have not done this. I was sat in the car waiting for Mrs Hogan do some shopping and was reading the new rule book and was reading the section on identifying my ball - hence my thinking and the OP.

If 'I' cannot see my identifier on the ball (assuming I do that), I must then be able to mark and lift to identify it? Now as it happens I put my identifier on both sides of a ball to avoid this issue - but many I know do not - with their identifier often being a dot or two - so not so obvious - and more likely to be hidden. The other side of that is that if I DO NOT put an identifier on my ball how do I know 100% that the ball that I think is mine actually is my ball unless I lift to check for any player's identifier not obvious to me.

Yes I know this is a bit stretching but the rules are usually pretty tight on such things.