Placing of bag / trolley

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson yesterday and one of the key points was I need my backswing to go back straighter rather than around my back. The pro helped me manage this by standing behind, maybe slightly out, and then suggesting I swing back towards his chest. This was very helpful.

When I play next can I place my trolley positioned where the pro stood? I know I can't place anything in front of the ball to help but what about behind. Not placing a tee or anything, just my trolley.

I'm not going to spend minutes lining it up so it will not slow play down, this is just about the rules side of things.

@HeftyHacker might be one for you to follow (y)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd say no as you're not using the trolley for its intended purpose.
I'm sure the experts will be along soon and give you chapter and verse.
Edit...
Then they will give you chapter and verse about something vaguely related to your question, then there will be an argument discussion about the related subject which will last several days, until finally petering out with no-one admitting defeat.
Then the balance of the universe will be restored :whistle:

Last edited:

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
If you want an unqualified view, I would say you can't do it if you have knowingly positioned it there to help you. If you happen to leave it in the same place every time by accident, well then, that's okay! 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

D

Deleted member 15344

You can’t use any trolley or equipment as any sort of alignment or swing aid so if that’s the reason for the placement of the trolley then it would be a no for me

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would your club allow even your trolley on the tee?
Mine doesnt
Funnily enough, I don't have the same problem with driver so trolley on the tee box would not be a problem. Occasionally I might need hybrid off the tee but it is fairly rare so not a big deal. Hopefully by then I'll have the swing path realigned (he said hopefully)

Bratty

Visit site
You could tee up with a divot in the same place as the coach was standing, and that's legal. Won't be the same height hint, but line hint would work. Just hope folk tee off behind the pegs sometimes, rather than right on the line of them!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rule 4.3a covers it. It prohibits you from using equipment which "artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgement....."

So don't try that tomorrow, I'll be watching!
Thank you for confirming.

Tomorrow is exactly why I asked the question. Better to know than face the shame of being pulled up on the day 😱

Bratty

Visit site
Rule 4.3a covers it. It prohibits you from using equipment which "artificially eliminates or reduces the need for a skill or judgement....."

So don't try that tomorrow, I'll be watching!
How does offset on irons get over that rule then?! 🤣🤣🤣

Swango1980

Visit site
I'd say no as you're not using the trolley for its intended purpose.
I'm sure the experts will be along soon and give you chapter and verse.
Edit...
Then they will give you chapter and verse about something vaguely related to your question, then there will be an argument discussion about the related subject which will last several days, until finally petering out with no-one admitting defeat.
Then the balance of the universe will be restored :whistle:
You've basically beat them to it, by waffling off on a tangent in the very first response :)

Swango1980

Visit site
No
I gave an answer to the question asked, I didn't answer any un-asked questions
Nobody asked you to predict how future comments would pan out by other users of the forum, but you decided to answer that unasked question anyway, by giving us your predictions. Thus, you initiated a conversation completely irrelevant to the OP's post.

Had you just ended your comments after your first line, you'd not be guilty of the charges you predicted from others.:ROFLMAO:

Bratty

Visit site
assuming a serious question (which it is probably not)
that is covered by the Equipment Rules

Some clubs that have aided alignment have been deemed non conforming.
Very much a tongue in cheek comment. 👍🏻

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
OK, I'd say rule 10.2(b)3 prohibits it.

(The generality of rule 10 is about making the stroke, and advice & other help. The title of that particular section of the rule is 'No setting down object to help with aiming, taking stance or swinging').

RichA

Visit site
Just ask your playing partner, "Please can you stand there to track the flight of my bail? Left a bit. Left a bit. Forward a bit. Perfect, don't move."

10.2b(4)
IMG_3068.jpeg

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought about this thread whilst playing yesterday evening. I always like to pick a spot on the grass in front of my ball and line up with that. On one fairway, the shadow of my bag was casting itself over the area just forward of my ball. It annoyed me so I moved my bag, but it made me think: would deliberately placing equipment so that it's shadow is helpful be against the rules? BTW, I'm not doing this and I'm not going to start doing to it, even if it's legal. It's just something (vaguely!) interesting to ponder.